🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payroll as Belgian resident
Page options
elisevk
Community Member

Payroll as Belgian resident

Hi!

I'm hoping someone could shine some light on this grey situation.

I’m a Belgian resident and my ideal worksituation right now would be to work through a payrollsystem (which exists in Belgium; this way I don’t have to get a freelance-status in Belgium which is difficult and expensive) and land some jobs via Upwork. The problem I’m facing is that the payrollbureau (and Belgian government) takes about 60% of my wage (social security, ect). Together with a 20% fee on Upwork I’m facing the dilemma: do I work for a very low salary or do I let my clients pay a ridiculous high rate?

I was wondering if there is a solution to this? I’ve seen the Upwork Payrollsystem. How does this work and is this possible for Belgian residents? Since the government here has to keep track of everything you earn.

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
versailles
Community Member

Upwork has a payroll option that is aimed towards bigger companies, but the vast majority of the jobs on the platform are gigs and clients don't want to hire employees. They want to contract with freelancers. 

Belgium is not a friendly place for solo workers. If you're 100% solo worker, move north to The Netherlands or sourth to France.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thank you for your response!

I'm seriously starting to consider moving as an option. 

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Elise,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. Please note that a copy of the ticket will arrive in your email as well from where you can continue the correspondence with our team.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths