🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Penalty for Stealing a Profile
Page options
browersr
Community Member

Penalty for Stealing a Profile

Recently I flagged a profile of a "freelancer" who copied my profile word for word. He is certainly not the first nor will be the last to do this. UW did take action and I see now that his profile has changed. However, I question why someone can take this kind of action to brazenly and knowingly steal another's profile, get caught, and still be allowed to remain on this platform? Is this the kind of people you wish to attract UW? Is this the kind of behavior you wish to excuse? If these people cannot even write their own profile, how do you think they will represent the UW brand in their interaction with clients? Allowing these people to simply change their profile and go about their day is wrong. UW needs to have a sense of business ethics that are front and center for all who use this platform. This kind of light tap on the wrist for stealing someone's work identify and accomplishments is insulting and you should realize how it damages your own brand in the long run. 

If you need to add some words in the T&C's go ahead and do so, but my call is for you to start banning anyone who is found to have stolen another's profile. If you aren't going to do simple word searches to catch these people before they publish their profile then at least have the integrity to kick them off the platform when you have found them guilty. No technology required, just some ethics and a belief that your platform is better than this and that your honest freelancer's and clients deserve better. 

25 REPLIES 25
petra_r
Community Member

Scott B wrote:

my call is for you to start banning anyone who is found to have stolen another's profile.

One I flagged a couple of weeks ago for stealing my overview was suspended within the hour and still is...

So was yours just made to change his/her wording?

browersr
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Scott B wrote:

my call is for you to start banning anyone who is found to have stolen another's profile.

One I flagged a couple of weeks ago for stealing my overview was suspended within the hour and still is...

Yes. Profile re-written but otherwise shows available and has the lovely blue check of approval. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

While I won't be able to share any details about another account status, I'd like to follow up on your report with the team. To do that, I'd like to confirm that I'm checking the correct account. Could you please send me a PM with the link to that profile?

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
browersr
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Scott,

While I won't be able to share any details about another account status, I'd like to follow up on your report with the team. To do that, I'd like to confirm that I'm checking the correct account. Could you please send me a PM with the link to that profile?

Thank you.

PM sent along with another fraudster I caught today. 

Hi! I have just flagged an account that copy-pasted 95% of my profile. What is the penalty a freelancer receives for stealing profile descriptions? Thank you!

Elena Cristina R wrote:

Hi! I have just flagged an account that copy-pasted 95% of my profile. What is the penalty a freelancer receives for stealing profile descriptions? Thank you!

They are politely asked to edit it. 😀

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

That's disappointing because I wrote in detail about my past projects, and it's impossible for both of us to have worked on the same tasks. Some of my projects might be more common, but not all of them, especially in the legal field and medical field. She practically lied about her experience.

Elena Cristina R wrote:

That's disappointing because I wrote in detail about my past projects, and it's impossible for both of us to have worked on the same tasks. Some of my projects might be more common, but not all of them, especially in the legal field and medical field. She practically lied about her experience.

Elena,

Profile theft is completely unacceptable, so keep on posting here until something is done about the person (check and make sure it is not people) who stole it.

And now I have just found another one who has taken part of my

profile (for the nth time). Her profile is set to private. So yet another PM to a mod and no doubt I will receive another letter of disbelief from CS. 

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for reaching out to me with this report and for flagging this case. I've filed a report for our team review, and will take action as per our internal processes.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Update

18 September  - I flagged her profile (I flagged her profile multiple times since then).

18 September  - I talked to an Upwork moderator about this providing him with more details. He said he would escalate this. 

19, 20, 21 September - I waited for Upwork to take action against her.

22 September -  I sent a message again to the Upwork moderator about this situation.

23 - September - I was told that the problem was solved, but when checking her profile (Find freelancers), I noticed that nothing has changed, not even a comma.

23 September - I filled a ticket.

24 September - I was informed that the problem was solved, but when checking her profile (Find freelancers), I noticed that nothing has changed. 

24 September - I was also told that Upwork has reviewed the details and they were not able to find any violations regarding my report.

Now she is happily online, taking credit for work she has never done. 

I leave conclusions to you.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi! I checked again and this problem was solved. Thank you!

Hi Elena,

I understand your frustration but will reiterate that, as advised on your ticket and in the conversation with our team, we've taken appropriate steps and are communicating with the freelancer in question. We won't be able to discuss this case further in the Community and can confirm that posting any information related to an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing is not allowed in the forums. I understand how you feel but do note that we have investigated your report and have taken steps in line with our internal procedures and ToS.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Elena,

I understand your frustration but will reiterate that, as advised on your ticket and in the conversation with our team, we've taken appropriate steps and are communicating with the freelancer in question. We won't be able to discuss this case further in the Community and can confirm that posting any information related to an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing is not allowed in the forums. I understand how you feel but do note that we have investigated your report and have taken steps in line with our internal procedures and ToS.

This makes me madder than mad. Upwork is "talking to the freelancer":

"It's OK darling, we realize your need to steal a profile, but you must understand that this is a bit of a naughty thing to do. So why don't you rewrite your profile in your own words and then all will be righty tighty for you."

Elena received a message from CS (as I once did) that in effect accused her of lying. 

Unacceptable ...  

Elena, is this freelancer earning money on Upwork? If she has significant earnings, it may get more complicated...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Elena Cristina R wrote:

They are politely asked to edit it. 😀

And when the flag is removed they change it back. 

Hi Elena,

Our team will investigate the profile further and take proper actions. Feel free to send me the details via PM and I can double check the details as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Scott B wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Scott B wrote:

Yes. Profile re-written but otherwise shows available and has the lovely blue check of approval. 

Yes, that is another issue.
I have marked profiles "false photo / copied / stolen potfolio", and when tracking them, first I see them as private, and after a while they are visible again, and some of them have the "nice blue signal" and they still have, for example, stolen items in portfolio.

Sigh!!
It seems that they are not taking it seriously.

This was the extremely ambiguous reply from CS who "took action" on the two people who stole my overview: 

"...Clients will not be able to hire these profiles."

Not:  "These profiles are no longer on Upwork".

ETA: It is my belief that some of these people also set up "client "accounts, and so Upwork thinking they may make money from these do not act on their "freelancer" accounts.

Maria T wrote:

Scott B wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Scott B wrote:

Yes, that is another issue.
I have marked profiles "false photo / copied / stolen potfolio", and when tracking them, first I see them as private, and after a while they are visible again, and some of them have the "nice blue signal" and they still have, for example, stolen items in portfolio.

Sigh!!
It seems that they are not taking it seriously.

"It seems that they are not taking it seriously." has been painfully obvious for a long time.

Upwork: 

If that's true, why?

What will it take for you to take it seriously?

Who should people contact regarding these situations?

Transparency regarding these issues as well as many would be greatly appreciated. 

dzadza
Community Member

A thousand kudos from me! Profile has changed - that person has possibly just stolen someone else's profile... If someone steals profile description and / or portfolio (or part of it) - they should immediately be banned from the platform. Apparently, Upwork is super quick when it comes to suspending profiles for mentioning the word paypal in the message room...
colettelewis
Community Member

Scott B wrote:

Recently I flagged a profile of a "freelancer" who copied my profile word for word. He is certainly not the first nor will be the last to do this. UW did take action and I see now that his profile has changed. However, I question why someone can take this kind of action to brazenly and knowingly steal another's profile, get caught, and still be allowed to remain on this platform? Is this the kind of people you wish to attract UW? Is this the kind of behavior you wish to excuse? If these people cannot even write their own profile, how do you think they will represent the UW brand in their interaction with clients? Allowing these people to simply change their profile and go about their day is wrong. UW needs to have a sense of business ethics that are front and center for all who use this platform. This kind if light tap on the wrist for stealing someone's work identify and accomplishments is insulting and you should realize how it damages your own brand in the long run. 

If you need to add some words in the T&C's go ahead and do so, but my call is for you to start banning anyone who is found to have stolen another's profile. If you aren't going to do simple word searches to catch these people before they publish their profile then at least have the integrity to kick them off the platform when you have found them guilty. No technology required, just some ethics and a belief that your platform is better than this and that your honest freelancer's and clients deserve better. 

+10,000

I have had to set my profile to private because of this. And I have added a warning to any person who decides to steal all or any part of my profile that I will ensure that they will never find work on any internet job platform - and this will not stop at simply reporting them to Upwork. 

What worries me is that Upwork may well allow the person who has stolen the profile to continue provided he/she change their profile - and certainly does not recognize the seriousness of their actions. Generally, these people should not even be on the site and it is only thanks to their dishonest actions that they were accepted in the first place. 

I hear you. Those people should be kicked off Upwork for good, as well as those who use actors/models photos. I have seen that in other freelance platforms and it really gives the platform a bad name. If someone is so fraudulent to copy/steal someone else's stuff he/she certainly will be a fraud at working with clients who hire them innocently. Hey Upwork! Do you want clients go somewhere else ranting "Upwork is full of scammers who copy each other"?

And another 10,000 kudos.

If Upwork wants to be successful - part of which is determined by the quality, integrity, and honesty of the freelancers on-site - then all the FLers need to be 100% honest in their profiles and portfolios.  Any deviations from this should be banned - for good.  No excuses and no second chances.

This would be a signal of true professionalism and would go a long way in generating buyer trust in the platform.  And would work to attain what U covets so openly.  Big name / big spending buyers.

After all, once a thief's mentality and behavior = always a thief's mentality and behavior.

Nichola,  just sent you an email request to modify your wording and post the same message on my profile(s).

I am sick to death of the thieves and even more so of Upwork's failure to follow through and enforce their own ToS.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths