cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Penalty for Stealing a Profile

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
11 of 26

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for reaching out to me with this report and for flagging this case. I've filed a report for our team review, and will take action as per our internal processes.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Elena Cristina R Member Since: Aug 6, 2018
12 of 26

Update

18 September  - I flagged her profile (I flagged her profile multiple times since then).

18 September  - I talked to an Upwork moderator about this providing him with more details. He said he would escalate this. 

19, 20, 21 September - I waited for Upwork to take action against her.

22 September -  I sent a message again to the Upwork moderator about this situation.

23 - September - I was told that the problem was solved, but when checking her profile (Find freelancers), I noticed that nothing has changed, not even a comma.

23 September - I filled a ticket.

24 September - I was informed that the problem was solved, but when checking her profile (Find freelancers), I noticed that nothing has changed. 

24 September - I was also told that Upwork has reviewed the details and they were not able to find any violations regarding my report.

Now she is happily online, taking credit for work she has never done. 

I leave conclusions to you.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ace Contributor
Elena Cristina R Member Since: Aug 6, 2018
13 of 26

Hi! I checked again and this problem was solved. Thank you!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 26

Hi Elena,

I understand your frustration but will reiterate that, as advised on your ticket and in the conversation with our team, we've taken appropriate steps and are communicating with the freelancer in question. We won't be able to discuss this case further in the Community and can confirm that posting any information related to an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing is not allowed in the forums. I understand how you feel but do note that we have investigated your report and have taken steps in line with our internal procedures and ToS.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 26

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Elena,

I understand your frustration but will reiterate that, as advised on your ticket and in the conversation with our team, we've taken appropriate steps and are communicating with the freelancer in question. We won't be able to discuss this case further in the Community and can confirm that posting any information related to an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing is not allowed in the forums. I understand how you feel but do note that we have investigated your report and have taken steps in line with our internal procedures and ToS.

This makes me madder than mad. Upwork is "talking to the freelancer":

"It's OK darling, we realize your need to steal a profile, but you must understand that this is a bit of a naughty thing to do. So why don't you rewrite your profile in your own words and then all will be righty tighty for you."

Elena received a message from CS (as I once did) that in effect accused her of lying. 

Unacceptable ...  

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 26

Elena, is this freelancer earning money on Upwork? If she has significant earnings, it may get more complicated...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 26

Rene K wrote:

Elena Cristina R wrote:

Hi! I have just flagged an account that copy-pasted 95% of my profile. What is the penalty a freelancer receives for stealing profile descriptions? Thank you!

They are politely asked to edit it. 😀

And when the flag is removed they change it back. 

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
18 of 26

Hi Elena,

Our team will investigate the profile further and take proper actions. Feel free to send me the details via PM and I can double check the details as well. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
19 of 26

Scott B wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Scott B wrote:

my call is for you to start banning anyone who is found to have stolen another's profile.

One I flagged a couple of weeks ago for stealing my overview was suspended within the hour and still is...

So was yours just made to change his/her wording?

Yes. Profile re-written but otherwise shows available and has the lovely blue check of approval. 

Yes, that is another issue.
I have marked profiles "false photo / copied / stolen potfolio", and when tracking them, first I see them as private, and after a while they are visible again, and some of them have the "nice blue signal" and they still have, for example, stolen items in portfolio.

Sigh!!
It seems that they are not taking it seriously.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 26

This was the extremely ambiguous reply from CS who "took action" on the two people who stole my overview: 

"...Clients will not be able to hire these profiles."

Not:  "These profiles are no longer on Upwork".

ETA: It is my belief that some of these people also set up "client "accounts, and so Upwork thinking they may make money from these do not act on their "freelancer" accounts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS