🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Pending Payments
Page options
kathrynsara
Community Member

Pending Payments

Alhough I understand that the pending payments for 5-6 days was initially said to protect clients from freelancers who may not give out complete work- I feel like in this time of crisis that keeping that wait is just incredibly cruel.  There should be a way to shorten this period- whether it's just for freelancers who have been here over 30 day or have completed work successfully three or four times, but the wait period is absolutely insane to still be upholding.

If it's going to be cancelled, and that's why everything is constantly just saying 'pending' in payment dates, I'd be thankful- but from a platform that I have to pay to get work on I expect more.

I adore upwork- but I can't keep waiting four to five days when my clients already check my work before okaying it.

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kathryn, 

Our team is still looking into solutions that will allow for the security period to be reduced while maintaining a high level of protection users' payments currently have. We'll update the Community once we receive feedback from our Product team but I can confirm that our team is not considering reducing the timeline for automatically releasing Escrow funds.

While we continue to test ways to get freelancers' earnings faster to them, at this point we are not able to offer a shorter security period for all transactions. Security remains to be our priority.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Kathryn T wrote:

Alhough I understand that the pending payments for 5-6 days was initially said to protect clients from freelancers who may not give out complete work- I feel like in this time of crisis that keeping that wait is just incredibly cruel. 

Try working in the real world with clients paying 30 or 60 days net.

Or other channels where you get the money for your April activities at the end of May.

Calling 5 days "incredibly cruel" is completely over the top. Money does not increase in 5 days. It's still the same amount whether you get it today or on Wednesday or on Friday. At the end of the week, you have had the exact same amount of money.

I work as a writer for several clients outside of upwork- and have for over ten years.  I'm speaking from experience and from my own professional agreements made with clients.  Also, implying that work here isn't considered 'real world' work is wrong. 

The problem here isn't that I'm not used to clients taking their time in editing and going over projects- it's that upwork is not a client here.  My clients finish their editing, going over what they have to go over- and then there's added time on waiting for payments to get to me where upwork gains interest on it.

I'm not sure why you took my simple suggestion as an excuse to be rude to me- but that's fine if that's how you want to spend your time on these forums.

Kathryn T wrote:

and then there's added time on waiting for payments to get to me where upwork gains interest on it.

No, they do not.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kathryn, 

Our team is still looking into solutions that will allow for the security period to be reduced while maintaining a high level of protection users' payments currently have. We'll update the Community once we receive feedback from our Product team but I can confirm that our team is not considering reducing the timeline for automatically releasing Escrow funds.

While we continue to test ways to get freelancers' earnings faster to them, at this point we are not able to offer a shorter security period for all transactions. Security remains to be our priority.

~ Avery
Upwork
dee9112d
Community Member

Hi ,

Payment has been made by the client by it's still pending or not yet credited. Can any one say what's happening,I'm new here on upwork.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gibran,

Please check the Weekly Billing Cycle article for more information about the schedule to release hourly payments. It takes about 10 days for payments to be processed. The first week is when you log time on an hourly contract, which ends every Sunday. The client then has 5-days to review, and/or, dispute any the hours logged on the Work Diary. If there are no issues with the hours logged, the payment for the contract will then go to a 5-day security period before it becomes available on your account.

The funds you're referring to are currently under the Pending tab. That means they are currently subjected to a standard five-day security period and will become available for withdrawal on Wednesday. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
dee9112d
Community Member

Okay Thank You.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members