Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pennies for words

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
11 of 14

Benjamin P wrote:

Melanie H wrote:

Meh, I have like a gazillion blogs (some monetized) and I KISS. Wordpress all the way. I played around with Wix and Weebly once or twice and just found Wordpress the better fallback.

I read an article, not too long ago, that said 58% of websites created in 2018 were created with WordPress

I don't doubt it. Zero money investment, instant startup (more or less), ten zillion plugin possibilities, plays well with FB and so on, well-known...you can't really miss.

One thing I have noticed about Wordpress is that they no longer offer a huge variety of free templates, but I do just fine personalizing the boring ones. If you have a few HTML tricks up your sleeve or even if you're a bit imaginative, you can probably make a more compelling site than 90% of that 58%. Smiley Wink 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 14

At pennies per word, you might as well just go work at a content mill.

I worked at Demand Media for a while.

pros: no clients to deal with, just pick up work and do it, no business acumen needed

cons: if you think Upwork is bad, wait until you get a taste of content mills and how fast they drop you for a comma out of place. Treated like dirt. Pay is set by mill and no chance of getting more. Get that "lots of work for less pay" mentality.

I would rather destroy wallets here.

Ace Contributor
Benjamin P Member Since: Feb 26, 2019
13 of 14

I've looked at content mills before and the thought of playing Russian Roulette seemed more appealing. Different strokes I guess, just not my thing.

There are tons of resources out there. I just like to utilize as many of them as I can but there are times when experience is the best teacher and that's why I like to ask questions in hopes that there's some knowledge to be had within some of the answers.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 14

Benjamin P wrote:

I know my value and the only way I'll ever go below my bottom-dollar is if there's something to sweeten the pot other than promises.

Exactly this. There are times when it's worthwhile to write for cheap, or even free. But, those reasons had better be very specific and the pathway they create very clear. And, it's unlikely that you're going to find those opportunities on Upwork.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS