🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » People who post protects but without the inte...
Page options
stevel5231
Community Member

People who post protects but without the intent of hiring

I really think some people post projects on Upwork with no intent of ever hiring anyone. I have bid on projects that are 2 months old. Obviously they never meant to hire anyone. I think the solution is to have Upwork track the persons that post projects and don't hire and ban them from posting again. This is very frustrating.

5 REPLIES 5
wescowley
Community Member

The last thing we want Upwork to do (and I suspect the last thing Upwork wants to do) is to implement anything that drives clients away.  There are indications on the job posts as to clients' historical hiring rate and the age of the job. Use them as input to your bidding decision. There's little point in bidding on a job that's two months old, as you described. I rarely bid on one that's more than a couple of days old unless there are only a few responses shown.

I seriously doubt many (if any) people are going through the hassle of posting a job without intending to hire anyone. They may find that the bids they get are above their range or don't meet their needs. Or they may find their need satisfied elsewhere, either in-house or from another marketplace. Or they may decide they no longer need the work. Or they may have hired someone on Upwork with a direct offer, which leaves the job post looking like no one was hired. 

I almost always bid on work when the job has been posted within 24 hours.  But sometimes they just linger for what seem like forever.  

And sometimes they come back weeks, even months later, and award the project. It can be very lucrative to play the long game.

petra_r
Community Member

Stephan L wrote:

think the solution is to have Upwork track the persons that post projects and don't hire and ban them from posting again. This is very frustrating.

So... You go into a clothes shop. You look at a few jackets, then walk out again.

A few days later, the manager of the clothes job hunts you down in the middle of a busy town square, wild eyed and furious, and bans you from ever setting foot in his shop again.

Funnily enough, that is JUST on the very day you were on your way back to the shop to buy two of the jackets you tried on, and look for some trousers too.

That store manager has great business sense, doesn't he?

tlbp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Stephan L wrote:

think the solution is to have Upwork track the persons that post projects and don't hire and ban them from posting again. This is very frustrating.

So... You go into a clothes shop. You look at a few jackets, then walk out again.

A few days later, the manager of the clothes job hunts you down in the middle of a busy town square, wild eyed and furious, and bans you from ever setting foot in his shop again.

Funnily enough, that is JUST on the very day you were on your way back to the shop to buy two of the jackets you tried on, and look for some trousers too.

That store manager has great business sense, doesn't he?

And, the shopper could have been a spy for another shop or a secret shopper sent to review the establishment, even shoplifter planning to steal from the owner. Unfortunately, none of us own a 'reveal intent' app that tells us others' true intentions. 

Upwork is a lead gen resource. Freelancers come here to find potential clients--those who are aware that freelancers exist and are conducting an investigation into whether they want to hire one. Some of them have already decided and are closer to the bottom of the funnel. I would imagine that if Upwork only supplied leads who were ready, willing and able to buy at the moment of posting, the cost of connects would be much higher. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths