🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: job success score
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Hello Upwork Team,

My success percentage is not moving, I have completed 4 successful projects in the last week all with a 5-star rating and one with a bonus from the client too. but my percentage is not moving up. it is 96% since then.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,125 REPLIES 1,125
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

I would assume that you do not enough jobs to compute your score from, which is why you have 78% as your score

You assume what? 

Clearly he has enough jobs to compute a score from. If he didnt have enough jobs to compute a score, he would have no score, not a 78% score. What in the world do you mean? 

Clearly he only has a 6 months window, as he's only started working on Upwork in mid December.

There are 7 completed contracts, of which 5 have feedback.

My guess is that 1of them had poor private feedback.

The JSS is Dollar-weighed, and the biggest contract by far looks like a likely contender for the one that caused the JSS. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Petra, 

Happy New Year! I wasn't able to review Vicente's account at the time of my posting and only had a chance to glance at his profile. He has a few jobs from the past six months, and no projects to compute his 12-month, and 24-month score from. So yes, you are correct - there were not enough jobs completed in the past 12-, and 24-month windows to calculate their score from; the score we are seeing in their job is the 6-month calculation.

~ Avery
Upwork
dasun-nirmitha
Community Member

I've been maintaining a 5-star feedback throughout contracts with my clients resulting in a 90%+ Job Success Score. But recently got somewhat of a subpar feedback of 4.7 stars. This and whatever private feedback the client must've given resulted in a sudden drop of JSS all the way down to 77% (the client didn't even leave a textual feedback only the star ratings. I saw if no feedback was given it won't affect the JSS or something like that. Don't know how it matters in my case).

I have a long time client I've been collaborating with for close to 10 article writings. Usually he creates and assigns a new milestone for each article writing. I'm about to start my next article with him so I can instead ask him to close the current contract with a good feedback and create a new contract so that I can continue my work on the new contract.

How would this affect my JSS? I'd be closing a long term contract (with a good feedback) and opening up a new contract with the same client.

Would this be a good idea? Will it help boost my JSS? What's the best way to boost my JSS? Any help would be appreciated.
oyewumi_titilayo
Community Member

Please I need help here, my job success is 58% and I have completed 3 jobs successfully even though the 58% has been given to me before the last client rated me and I was expecting the JSS to increase but nothing like any increase. I need to know what is happening and something needs to be done about that because I think it's affecting my getting a job offer on Upwork since then.Thank you

6ffba55b
Community Member

Hi everyone.
I just started working on Upwork. And have done 5 jobs with 5star ratings. My JSS started to appear just recently. It's at 85%. I don't understand how it got here? Did I do something wrong? I am not sure why my JSS is at 85% from the very beginning. I mean, it should start off at 100%, and then drop eventually if anything happens. I'd appreciate any sort of assistance. Thanks.

Hi Waqas,

The JSS doesn't start at 100% and gradually decreases should anything cause it to change. Please keep in mind that your JSS is calculated on a 6-12 and 24 months window. Completing a contract does not mean that your JSS will go up or down, it is also possible to stay the same as it was. I would encourage you to read this Help Article and this announcement to learn more about how your score is calculated. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
arfat-hossen
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team,

My current JSS is 89. Yesterday I completed a project and got 5 stars. How much can my jss be after 2 weeks?

Thanks

Arfat Hossen

jcyjr36
Community Member

Hello, 

My client revised their feedback from a 4.6 to a 5.0 a week and a half ago.  

Will this revision be reflected in my Job Success Score, which was 100% before the 4.6 review but is now 96%. If so, how long will it take? 

Thank you. 

Hi John,

Your Job Success Score is updated every two weeks on Sunday. JSS reflects a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your JSS on your My Stats page. Please see this help article for more info about what affects your score.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
yeshel10
Community Member

Hi everyone, I hope you are having a great day. I am currently working with a client for whom I write YouTube scripts. For each script, instead of adding a new milestone, he makes a new contract and ends the previous one with feedback. I have already completed 3 jobs for him, which essentially means 3 contracts, with 5-star feedback. My question is that, does having too many contracts with the same client negatively impact the JSS? or do they just count as any other contract (no matter if there are tens of them with the same person), and only feedback matters?

petra_r
Community Member

Yeshel A wrote:

My question is that, does having too many contracts with the same client negatively impact the JSS? 

No.

But miniscule average contract values do affect your profile's overall credibility.

yeshel10
Community Member

Right, thanks a lot. I'd have to request him to go for milestones instead.

73dd0772
Community Member

Hi there,

I noticed that my job success score just unlocked and I have 3 completed jobs with 5-star reviews and an ongoing hourly job.

My unlocked Job Success Score is 57%

What's wrong with this?

I need a proper answer to this, please!

_sbk
Community Member

I have about the same problem. They took the talent badge and gave me a low JSS. But reviews with 5-stars like your's.

Hi Bogdan,

Once you have enough work history on Upwork, your Rising Talent status will automatically be replaced by a Job Success Score (JSS). Once you earn a Job Success Score, you can start working toward Top Rated status. The Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months window. The best score out of these moving time windows is displayed on your profile and updated about every two weeks. To learn more about this, please read this help article

Regarding your concern with the recently ended contract, please allow the system some time to update. I just checked your account, and it looks like the recently ended contract is already showing on your profile. as completed. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Taha, 

Your Rising Talent badge is replaced by a Job Success Score once you have enough work history on Upwork. Once you earn a Job Success Score, you can start working toward Top Rated status. Please know that the Job Success Score takes into consideration several factors. To learn more about how this and what affects your score to chage, please check this help article.   

~ Joanne
Upwork
_sbk
Community Member

Hey. Can you please tell me why my JSS rating can be so low?

I review the completed contracts and in all the score is 5, what could cause such a low grade?

Out of 9 orders - 2 are in progress, 5 orders with a high rating and 2 orders without rating and feedback.

It is also very interesting why I complete the contract, but it may be in "progress" in the profile page for a long time. Is he there until they leave a review?

I recently worked for you and still do not understand all the subtleties. After reading the documentation and looking on the Internet, I did not find a clear answer.

Thanks!

bettinahughes20
Community Member

Hi, I was wondering if you know when my job success score will improve. I only had one bad review ( in the 4 stars) on the first job did. This score is hinding me getting better jobs.

thank-you Bettina

Bettina H wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if you know when my job success score will improve.

When you complete contracts with a great outcome, or when the 3.7 star contract falls out of your calculation window which is likely 6 months. 

_sbk
Community Member

Hi, Petra,

After reading whole topic, I still have some questions. I would be very happy if you could answer them.

1. Are contracts in progress influencing the JSS score? Should I always close the contract?
2. Could my low JSS have been triggered by the ratio of closed to open contracts (5/4)? Or is it neggative effect of negative private review only?
2. Can clients change their private ratings?
3. Can you roughly assume that 80% of JSS is 2 out of 10 dissatisfied clients? 90% JSS = 1 client out of 10.
4. The article says that the JSS is updated every 2 weeks. Can you tell me please, why my JSS was updated after a week? When expect an update? The JSS was 03/01/2021 then 10/01/2021 updated. Will the next update be on the 17th or 24th? I hope that it will be 17th.

petra_r
Community Member

Bogdan S wrote:

1. Are contracts in progress influencing the JSS score? Should I always close the contract?
2. Could my low JSS have been triggered by the ratio of closed to open contracts (5/4)? 
2. Can clients change their private ratings?
3. Can you roughly assume that 80% of JSS is 2 out of 10 dissatisfied clients? 90% JSS = 1 client out of 10.
4. The article says that the JSS is updated every 2 weeks. Can you tell me please, why my JSS was updated after a week? 

1) It makes sense to encourage happy clients to close the contract, as great  feedback helps your JSS. 

2) I don't see 5/4, I see 7/2? Again, the key is to get them closed with good feedback.

Second 2)  No, private feedback can't be changed. We have private feedback because of unprofessional freelancers asking clients to change feedback. As a result of that public feedback is completely useless, clients just give 5 stars by default to avoid the hassle. That's also why the average (!) feedback on the site is 4.9.

3) All contracts being equal (!) you sort of can. However, higher value contracts weigh more heavily.

4) This happened to keep the "JSS Sunday" on every second odd Sunday (3rd, 5th, ... 19th, 21st etc etc etc) . We'll be back to 2-weekly updates until 2027 now. The next update will be on the 24th.

petersonsue
Community Member

I have a question regarding clients who pay for your work and are pleased with it but never end the job. I thought there was a new change that those open contracts (although completed) won't directly impact your rating? Is that correct? I just took out a ticket and asked and the bot said that from the present to the future, it won't impact your score but the past will. If that is true, it seems unfair to those who got on the Upwork platform earlier. Please clarify. Thank you.

Hi Sue,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have already reached out to our team and the agent has provided you more information about this. Please check your ticket number: 30662837. If the client has not ended the contract and it has been completed, you do have the option to end it instead. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Sue P wrote:

I thought there was a new change that those open contracts (although completed) won't directly impact your rating? Is that correct?

No, The change is that contracts that close without feedback no longer affect the JSS (Not that they did so often before) and this change is retroactive.

jenkfreelance
Community Member

Hi! I recently competed a project wth a client. Once the project was complete, I asked the client if they could end the contract if there was no further work in the pipeline. They ended the contract, however now when I attempt to leave the client feedback it states "reason for ending contract" and requires that I leave a reason.

The contract has already clearly been closed though.

I am concerned that if I proceed, that Upwork willl register it as I (the freelancer) having closed the contract and that it could penalise my account in some way?

I habe yet to receive a JSS as I have only completed 4 jobs on Upwork.

Hi Jenny,

If your client has ended the contract, they will need to post feedback for you. You will be notified also requesting that you submit your feedback to the client. Ending the contract doesn't directly affect your JSS; however, if the client has submitted negative feedback, that can negatively affect your JSS. Please read this help article to learn more about how the JSS is calculated and what can affect your score to change. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Jenny K wrote:

now when I attempt to leave the client feedback it states "reason for ending contract" and requires that I leave a reason.

That appears every time you leave feedback... Perfectly normal.

Jenny K wrote:

I am concerned that if I proceed, that Upwork willl register it as I (the freelancer) having closed the contract and that it could penalise my account in some way?

You closing a contract wouldn't have any negative impact on your account at all, in any way. Who closes the contract is irrelevant, only the public and especially the private feedback matters.

Thanks Petra for your assistance.

mssmohammed
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork " this is my first month ". I had 7 jobs done with 5 stars and 100% JSS. a few days ago I was diagnosed with covid 19 and locked down in the hospital until my tests are negative. unfortunately, I had an open contract that I couldn't work on. I passed the deadline and the client wasn't happy. I apologized to him and told him I will refund the payment and he said he won't give bad feedback if I do " he was hiring someone else and was just hiring me to see if he likes what I'm doing ". how to know if he gave me bad feedback and will it not affect my JSS if he gave a good one? and if my JSS is affected, when I'm expected to see the change " it didn't change yet ".

Marwa S wrote:

how to know if he gave me bad feedback and will it not affect my JSS if he gave a good one? and if my JSS is affected, when I'm expected to see the change " it didn't change yet ".

When was the contract closed? Who closed the contract? 

If you refunded in full, no public feedback will have been left, but the client's private feedback can still affect your JSS, and that is by design.

The JSS updates every 2 weeks on Sunday evening UTC, and last updated last Sunday.

Marwa S wrote:

A few days ago I was diagnosed with covid 19 and locked down in the hospital until my tests are negative..

I am fairly sure your client didn't believe that story.

the client ended the contract about an hour ago. if the client didn't believe what I've been through and gave me bad feedback, how bad will that affect my JSS, and how to get over that?

Marwa S wrote:

If the client gave me bad feedback, how bad will that affect my JSS, and how to get over that?

Wait and see when it updates, but currently it's 1 contract out of 7 completed ones, so it has the potential of dropping your JSS below 90%.

The only way to get over that is to reliably complete more contracts with satisfied clients.

coagentus_farhan
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community! hope you are doing well.

can you please help me to understand that why my Success score chaged, Actually few days ago I saw my Job Success ration is 100% & last night I saw that it is decrease upto 97% but I have no idea why it happends.

I have send an email to upwork community to understand thing & now waiting for response till they reply to me I thought to get in touch with you & try to learn from you that why it happends.

Farhan A wrote:

Actually few days ago I saw my Job Success ration is 100% & last night I saw that it is decrease upto 97% but I have no idea why it happends..

Your JSS was updated last Sunday. Did you have any cancelled or fully refunded contracts lately? Or a contract that's been open for a couple of months but never had any payment yet at all?

dangol_dipen
Community Member

Hello, my problem or question is When will my Job Success Score gets updated? I thought it gets updated every two weeks but it's not getting updated. I am really curious to see how am I doing and how's my account doing?

Thank you.

Sohit D wrote:

Hello, my problem or question is When will my Job Success Score gets updated? I thought it gets updated every two weeks but it's not getting updated. I am really curious to see how am I doing and how's my account doing?

Thank you.

It is recalculated every second Sunday evening UTC. It will next be recalculated this coming Sunday.

Just because it is recalculated does not necessarily mean that the JSS will change.

Hi Sohit,

Your Job Success Score is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months windows and it's updated every second week on Sunday. To learn more about your Job Success Score, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
nabeelzafarhsra
Community Member

I am running an agency pretty well on upwork! I have close 5 jobs from 3 different clients so far with 5 star ratings on all of them, and have about 8+ contracts running with good amount of hours logged.

I have met the criteria but my JSS score has not been computed yet, and for that reason i am also not able to get a top rated for my agency as well. Can anybody on upwork please review my profile and get this issue resolved so that I could see and have the badge my agency should have? 

Hi Nabeel,

The agency Job Success Score (JSS) is calculated using the same formula for freelancers, but instead of contracts of just one freelancer, contracts of the agency's exclusive and non-exclusive agency contractors are taken into consideration, ensuring that agencies and agency members have one consistent score. To learn more about how this is calculated, please check the information in this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
90e4a451
Community Member

Hello!
My job success changed in 10 January from 100 to 92 and after 2 days I made 3 jobs with full feedback and my job success is still 92.
Whats the problem?
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths