Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Per hour project

qasimbhatti007
Qasim B Member Since: Dec 17, 2016
291 of 540

Hello, 

I have just worked on a web scraping project. I worked only for 30 minutes and soon realized the work is lengthy and I told client it will take more hours than expected. The client asked she cannot afford this much so she said please dont work on this. Now, total billed amount is 16 USD, I want to refund as her work was not done. Should I refund, will this affect my JSS? If so what is the proper way to handle this situation, please guide me. I am top rated and I worked really hard to save my badge and raised my profile from 91 to 97%. 

When can I refund her? Looking forward for guidance

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
292 of 540

Hi Qasim,

Refunding part of the earnings you have earned from the contract doesn't affect your JSS; however, if your refund results in no earnings for this contract, it may affect your JSS. This help article gives a detailed overview of how JSS is calculated and what may cause changes in the score when it updates.

I also encourage you to check this announcement

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
293 of 540

Joanne Marie P wrote:

however, if your refund results in no earnings for this contract, it may affect your JSS. 

No, it won't anymore. That stopped last year. 

That contract will only hurt the JSS if it ends with poor private feedback from the client.

pinkeshpatel
Pinkesh P Member Since: Jul 3, 2018
294 of 540

I Have 88% job success score is it affect my profile I am not getting a response from the clients.

ffdb56d8
Ace Contributor
Vedant J Member Since: Nov 30, 2020
295 of 540

Why is my JSS stuck at 86% for so long its been 8 weeks and I have done a lot of 5-star Jobs so as to boost it, can any one tell what should I focus so as to reach 90%, I am new to Upwork so may not know much about it.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
296 of 540

Vedant J wrote:

Why is my JSS stuck at 86% for so long its been 8 weeks and I have done a lot of 5-star Jobs so as to boost it, can any one tell what should I focus so as to reach 90%, I am new to Upwork so may not know much about it.

Six of your clients have marked you down in the past six months, and you have one very dissatisfied recent client - that's enough to put you at 86%. And you have to remember that private feedback is what counts most towards your JSS, not the star rating.

I also noticed that you post complaints in response to any feedback that's less than 5 stars, e.g. "Client is new doesn’t actually know when the job is completed with full satisfaction it is rated a 5 stars, this why my JSS is still below 90, btw nice client" (this was in response to someone who gave you at 4.6!) - you should stop doing this, since it looks highly unprofessional. If you continue to complain like that, don't be surprised if clients give you 5 stars publicly, but mark you down in their private feedback.

It looks like your biggest mistake was accepting a job from a client without having any preliminary discussion with them first. Since you're trying to raise your JSS, you should avoid clients like that; make sure that you have a detailed brief and ask lots of questions before you agree to work with anyone. 

ffdb56d8
Ace Contributor
Vedant J Member Since: Nov 30, 2020
297 of 540

There is also a thing where the JSS is renewed in 6 months, would that help me? what do you think

bharadhan94
Community Leader
Bharadhan V Member Since: Jul 16, 2018
298 of 540

Yesterday I completed a work for a client ( A popup form ) . The client reviewed the work , approved , made the payment of $20 and ended the contract. Today he contacted me and said that the form is not working. I asked him if you made any change to the form and he told that he made a change to the form by his own. Now he is asking for a refund for the work already done. How I can become responsible for the change he has made without my knowledge. Can you please assist me with this.

bharadhan94
Community Leader
Bharadhan V Member Since: Jul 16, 2018
299 of 540

Will this affect my JSS.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
300 of 540

Bharadhan V wrote:

Now he is asking for a refund for the work already done. How I can become responsible for the change he has made without my knowledge. Will this affect my JSS.

You are not responsible, and whether you refund or not won't affect your JSS, as the client has already left feedback. The effect of the contract on your JSS has happened already, when the contract was closed. 

Vedant J wrote:

There is also a thing where the JSS is renewed in 6 months, would that help me? what do you think

It doesn't "get refreshed every 6 months" as such. There is a 6 month window, and if that is your best window, it becomes your JSS. So if nothing else goes wrong and all ne feedback, public and private, is flawless, your JSS would become 100% 6 months plus 1 day after your last poor outcome.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS