🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I received a 4.85 rating when I did a 5.0...
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Hello Upwork Team,

My success percentage is not moving, I have completed 4 successful projects in the last week all with a 5-star rating and one with a bonus from the client too. but my percentage is not moving up. it is 96% since then.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,125 REPLIES 1,125

4.85 is an excellent score.

It is a better score than 5.0.

I think that essentially every straight 5.0 score is fake.

A 5.0 means that a client was not taking the time to seriously think about how a freelancer performed in each of six specific categories.

Nobody is perfect. Everybody has room to improve.

I am more impressed when I see a 4.85 or any 4+ score than when I see a 5.0 score because I think it actually means something.

re: "So please open a ticket for me as I’m not able to reach out."

This is insane. You can not open a Help Desk ticket for this. You should not even want to.

You do not understand the intent of Upwork's rating system.

Of course I can. Please don't spam this post anymore.

I don't understand your view of the situation. If I deliver 2 days before the deadline, I deserve 5.0 for that aspect, not 4.0. That's common sense.

You have a very limited view of all of the things that a client might take into account when adjudicating your performance in the "deadlines" category.

Putting all of that aside, there is no provision in Upwork policy for you to appeal this rating. I advise you to appreciate the positive, thoughtful review and the tip that this client gave you. You should not think that you should receive a 5.0 score for every job. That is an abuse of the system.

Scores for some other categories can be subjective, but a score of 4.0 deadlines for ON-TIME delivery of a product that's described as perfect may be either a mistake or abuse, so I'll resolve that with the support, not with you. Read the Terms before commenting on what is an abuse of the system.

You can't change this score.

It is an abuse of the Upwork Customer Support system for you to contact them about this matter.

Upwork Customer Support does not look at evidence and make a determination that a client gave a freelancer an incorrect score.

I can think of many reasons why you would have received a 4 instead of a 5 in the deadlines category.

I asked no one to change the score, not the client, not the support. I just asked them to open a ticket and protect me as a seller, and I'll see the result. The only possible abuse is your spam, as you are not answering my question, you're not helpful, just propagating your opinion on something that I did not even ask. I did NOT ask you if the 4.85 is a good score, if I can change it, or anything that you are replying to. This is the core definition of spam. Have a great day!

bruno-king
Community Member

There is nogreen button at the end of this link and I really wouldlike to contact customerservice as Iam very unhappy. My jobsuccessrate has been reduced to 88% plus I have lost my top rated status. I have been with upwork for a long peridoftimeand Ibelieve I derve better treatment than this.

Hi Bruno,

I understand your frustration with this, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please keep in mind that your JSS is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months windows.

To learn more about the factors included in your JSS, check out this Help Article. To learn more about the requirements you will need to maintain for the Top Rated badge, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
gupta-shubhal
Community Member

I have joined Upwork in Feb this year. I have put more effort than I would have thought into the platform. But I am really embarrassed after seeing my own job success score. 

I have got all positive feedback and two returning clients, also most of the clients add milestones week after week because they know that they can rely on me. From April, some jobs that were listed in my active contracts seemed to be not listed in my public profile. I noticed it but I didn't complain because I thought it would get sorted once I complete all of them. Now, I have got a job success score but it seems it was better not to have got it, because seeing 57% JSS, nobody would want to work with me.

Please look into the matter, ASAP!

Shubhal G wrote:

Now, I have got a job success score but it seems it was better not to have got it, because seeing 57% JSS, nobody would want to work with me.

You have 6 completed contracts, of which 5 have feedback. Your JSS is determined by the private feedback clients leave. 2 of the clients who left feedback marked you down for the quality of your work and it is most likely that those clients left lower private feedback.

The public feedback is pretty much meaningless as the vast majority of clients leave 5 stars by default unless they absolutely hated the freelancer's work. The average (!) feedback left by clients for freelancers is 4.9....

Shubhal G wrote:

most of the clients add milestones week after week

That doesn't seem to be true. 

Hi Petra,

I've shared an issue earlier here but didn't hear from anyone. Can you please help me? 

The issue is regarding my JSS. It was 100% earlier and suddenly it dropped to 92%. Nothing new has happened but I am afraid of this new change as it will surely affect my profile.

Can you please let me know what has happened and how I can improve it?

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you,

Prashant

Prashant G wrote:

The issue is regarding my JSS. It was 100% earlier and suddenly it dropped to 92%

When did it drop? At the same time your agency's JSS dropped?

If you are an exclusive agency freelancer, then the drop of your agency's JSS to 92% from a contract that may not even have had anything to do with you could have caused it because exclusive agency freelancers get the JSS of the agency, not their own. (Something I find utterly bizzare, by the way).

If that's the case, you could fix it by becoming a non-exclusve member of your agency, then your profile would show your own JSS, not the agency's. That said, there is no guarantee that your own JSS is 100% if yours was previously showing as 100% because the agency was at 100%.

It dropped over the weekend. And, yes, both my agency's JSS and mine dropped at the same time. Can you please let me know how I can contact the support as whenever I tried it redirected me to the community (here)?

Prashant G wrote:

It dropped over the weekend. And, yes, both my agency's JSS and mine dropped at the same time. 

Was there a cancelled contract maybe on the agency? Your JSS is the agency's JSS. What do you want to contact support for? Set yourself as a non-exclusive agency member to fix the issue.

No, none of the contracts got canceled. BTW, I'll try setting myself as a non-exclusive member. 

Thank you, Petra. 🙂

How to improve it? can you suggest me?

Hi Waqas,

You can check out these Best Practices for Success as well as 

our Resource Center; where you’ll find some excellent articles that can potentially help you improve your score.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
mywaqasahmedit
Community Member

Hello friends,

Before 31 May my JSS is 82%, and daily getting 4-5 new invitations.

But unfortunity my JSS down to 68% (Not idea why because my last contract close to 4.3 rating).

So, how to imporve my JSS and and new invitation.

Because after this not receive any new invation and no one contact me when submitted the new proposal.

Hello Waqas,

Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Please see the following link for more info about what affects your score. As long as you do great work for your clients and receive great feedback -- regardless of whether it’s a low- or high-budget job -- your score will climb. Winning higher-budget jobs and receiving positive feedback on those will typically raise your JSS faster than low-paying jobs.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
shazma-r
Community Member

Hi All, 

My JSS is not changing from last 2 months almost. I was inactive on upwork for few months but now i am active, applying to jobs and I have closed at least 3-4 jobs in past 2 months still my JSS is the same. Can anyone guide? TIA!

petra_r
Community Member

Shazma R wrote:

I have closed at least 3-4 jobs in past 2 months still my JSS is the same. Can anyone guide? TIA!

You closed 6 contracts in the last couple of months. 2 were without feedback, 3 have good feedback, one has poor feedback, so  wouldn't expect an increase.

laneski-maureen
Community Member

My job success rate is 35%. I has plunged twice: first, when they changed the algorithm to lower rates if you did not have multiple contracts with LT clients. Next, after I cancelled my premium membership and was not active for a bit.

I tutor during the year, so I was not using UpWork, but with summer here, I'm interested in jobs again.

I'm convinced it will be impossible to get hired. I was once top rated, but now...35%! I don't know what to do. I already don't like losing 20%. It happens on my tutoring jobs as well, though.

Should I just take the invitation jobs at horrible rates and try to get the same low-paying clients to hire me repeatedly or what? Should I quit and open a new account? It's very frustrating.

Now, I will say, I am slow. I'm conscientious, smart, and hard-working, but slow. Mostly O think this is because of scope creep, but I also over-research when writing content.

BUT my clients have lasted for months to over a year, usually. One dropped off the planet. He was ill and I fear the worst. It's rough. I kept that contract a open way too long, and he never rated me.

I'm so terrible and finding work on my own and ensuring I'm paid, etc. UpWork was a convenient way to break in. Maybe it's time to leave?

Quite possible that your biggest contract left you a bad private feedback. 

>Should I quit and open a new account?
That's prohibited.

Your last contract was in Aug 2020. If you wait till Aug 2022 your JJS will vanish and you'll have a new start. 

Other than that, you can only do a better job and charge less than usual. Be responsive, give the client a bit more than they expect, ask questions. Generally, make them happy.

Maureen L wrote:
My job success rate is 35%. I has plunged twice: first, when they changed the algorithm to lower rates if you did not have multiple contracts with LT clients. Next, after I cancelled my premium membership and was not active for a bit. Not sure what you mean, but that had no effect on your current JSS.

I tutor during the year, so I was not using UpWork, but with summer here, I'm interested in jobs again. Meaning you have not enough jobs for a JJS based on 6 or 12 months.

I'm convinced it will be impossible to get hired. I was once top rated, but now...35%! I don't know what to do. I already don't like losing 20%. It happens on my tutoring jobs as well, though. You should write more clearly. I am guess a JSS of 35% and 20% Upwork fee?

Should I just take the invitation jobs at horrible rates and try to get the same low-paying clients to hire me repeatedly or what? Should I quit and open a new account? No, that would be a ToS violation. It's very frustrating. All you need are some smaller jobs to get a 6 month JSS.

Now, I will say, I am slow. I'm conscientious, smart, and hard-working, but slow. Mostly O think this is because of scope creep, but I also over-research when writing content. Then do something else.

BUT my clients have lasted for months to over a year, usually. One dropped off the planet. He was ill and I fear the worst. It's rough. I kept that contract a open way too long, and he never rated me.

I'm so terrible and finding work on my own and ensuring I'm paid, etc. UpWork was a convenient way to break in. Maybe it's time to leave? It seems you left about a year ago and just decided to come back.

Yeah, sort of. School started, and I had tons of students. I really need it
more in the summer. I have enough freelance gigs during the year without
UpWork, but with fewer students in the summer, I switch to more freelancing.

Maureen L wrote:

Should I just take the invitation jobs at horrible rates and try to get the same low-paying clients to hire me repeatedly or what? 

You don't have to have the same low-paying clients repeatedly. There's plenty of small, one-off jobs that are available. If you've been absent then it probably won't take much to give your JSS a big boost. 

Well, that's reassuring. I DID read that small jobs ding you as well, but I
am so low right now that it probably doesn't matter.

Maureen L wrote:
My job success rate is 35%. I has plunged twice: first, when they changed the algorithm to lower rates if you did not have multiple contracts with LT clients. Next, after I cancelled my premium membership and was not active for a bit.

I tutor during the year, so I was not using UpWork, but with summer here, I'm interested in jobs again.

I'm convinced it will be impossible to get hired. I was once top rated, but now...35%! I don't know what to do. I already don't like losing 20%. It happens on my tutoring jobs as well, though.

Should I just take the invitation jobs at horrible rates and try to get the same low-paying clients to hire me repeatedly or what? Should I quit and open a new account? It's very frustrating.

Now, I will say, I am slow. I'm conscientious, smart, and hard-working, but slow. Mostly O think this is because of scope creep, but I also over-research when writing content.

I'm so terrible and finding work on my own and ensuring I'm paid, etc. UpWork was a convenient way to break in. Maybe it's time to leave?

You have two contracts in your 12-month window and five in your 24-month window. Of the five, two have no fb and two have 4 stars or lower (presumably with private fb lower than that). It's a hole that will take time and perseverence to climb out of but it's not impossible. Whether it's worth your while, only you can decide. 

It's extremely difficult to maintain a top profile on UW unless you're present and hustling on a regular basis. That's baked into the system because UW isn't making anything when you're absent. So you have to figure out how to keep your job history churning enough to maintain a decent JSS even when your main focus is elsewhere (as it sometimes is for many of us). Or decide it's not worth it.

If you decide to dig in and rehabilitate your JSS, I would advise against taking work at "horrible rates" just to close contracts. Cheapskate, bottom-feeding clients are not worth it in the long run. You might need to shave your rate a little bit to get going again but not so much it would be awkward to explain later. Meanwhile, it will be critical to ensure every single client is 100% satisfied in every way, on every project you undertake. Freelancing requires more than marketable skills. You also have to manage clients and those relationships to avoid less-than-happy outcomes, and that's typically the most challenging aspect of the work. We all get a ding now and then but if you are to succeed here, they must be very few and far between. And when you're in recovery mode, you can't afford any. It will take time and resolve and a commitment to stay present on the platform regularly. Your UW JSS is kind of like a garden plot -- neglect it at your peril.

Good luck!

Hey - thank you for the reply. It was really helpful and positive!

I will go ahead and do that, plus build up my profiles.

Thanks again,
Maureen
rahulbangar786
Community Member

Hi Everyone!

In the last few months, I got good feedback from many clients and recently got a 5-star review from a client who spent $3000 but my job success rate is not improving even 1 percent since the last few months.

Is there some bug in Upwork? Why my job success rate is not going up and down?

ebd3a81a
Community Member

Hello,

My JSS was due an update 6:30 AM my time (which was 6 hours ago), but it is not yet updated.

Actually, my JSS was reduced to 81% from 100%, a couple of weeks ago due to one bad review. 

And during these past two weeks, I managed to complete 7 jobs, all of them with 5 stars and good client feedbacks, which greatly outnumbers the negative feedback job which affected my JSS.

Can you please look into it?

Thank you.

Regards,

Saad

petra_r
Community Member

Saad F wrote:

Can you please look into it?

There is absolutely nothing to look into.

The JSS updates every Sunday afternoon or evening UTC timezone, sometimes the update does not complete until Sunday night UTC. 

Saad F wrote:

My JSS was due an update 6:30 AM my time

Where in the world do you get that idea from? It's always updated in the afternoon UTC. Don't even LOOK at it until at least 5pm UTC because it often says "updated today's date" hours before it actually does.

ebd3a81a
Community Member

Hello Petra,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm relieved to find out that there is still time left before Sunday night UTC for my JSS to update.

Actually, I've always got an email from UpWork around 6:30 AM my time, saying that my weekly summary is available for review. So I assumed that this is when the review is taken place always.

petra_r
Community Member

Saad F wrote:

Actually, I've always got an email from UpWork around 6:30 AM my time, saying that my weekly summary is available for review. 

That is on MONDAY and has absolutely nothing to do with the JSS calculation

seonancy
Community Member

Hi Friends,

I am New to Upwork.

And have a rising talent batch in my profile.

I have completed 5 jobs.

4 jobs from the same client and 1 from other.

I have 3 times 5-star ratings

I got one 4.85 and one 4.60 star ratings.

Suddenly, I got JSS today the first time and it is 68%.

Can anybody check my profile and tell me how to correct this.

raginianand
Community Member

Hi! 

I hope you're well. I've been on Upwork for about a month now, and have done more than 8 jobs. My JSS appeared only an hour or so ago, and it's at 56%. That is shocking and frankly really anxiety-inducing because all my ratings are great, and so far only one contract that was started has ended without pay because the client didn't need the work anymore. This too happened just today morning. I was not expecting the very first appearance of my JSS to be this pathetically low and I need help understanding whether this is just a time bound thing and will pass, or whether I'm doing something wrong, or whether I need to get in touch with upwork support because they might have made a mistake? Or do all JSS start at a low rate? I doubt that. Please please help because frankly, I'm really new here and I thought I was doing okay so far? this will really impact how many clients I get now. 

Ragini A wrote:

I've been on Upwork for about a month now, and have done more than 8 jobs. My JSS appeared only an hour or so ago, and it's at 56%

It means that several of your clients were unhappy with your work and left poor private feedback.

The public feedback is pretty irrelevant because almost all clients leave 5 stars unless they absolutely hated the work the freelancer did, The AVERAGE star feedback on Upwork is 4.9

What determines the JSS is the private feedback and it seems that just under half of yours was poor.

eko12345
Community Member

hello petra, i have similar problem, at first i have 100% JSS, and few minutes ago my profile shows 99%, but i don't do any other work with under 5 stars, do you know the problem?

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths