Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
131 of 153

Bettina H wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if you know when my job success score will improve.

When you complete contracts with a great outcome, or when the 3.7 star contract falls out of your calculation window which is likely 6 months. 

Bogdan S Member Since: Jan 11, 2021
132 of 153

Hi, Petra,

After reading whole topic, I still have some questions. I would be very happy if you could answer them.

1. Are contracts in progress influencing the JSS score? Should I always close the contract?
2. Could my low JSS have been triggered by the ratio of closed to open contracts (5/4)? Or is it neggative effect of negative private review only?
2. Can clients change their private ratings?
3. Can you roughly assume that 80% of JSS is 2 out of 10 dissatisfied clients? 90% JSS = 1 client out of 10.
4. The article says that the JSS is updated every 2 weeks. Can you tell me please, why my JSS was updated after a week? When expect an update? The JSS was 03/01/2021 then 10/01/2021 updated. Will the next update be on the 17th or 24th? I hope that it will be 17th.

Community Guru
133 of 153

Bogdan S wrote:

1. Are contracts in progress influencing the JSS score? Should I always close the contract?
2. Could my low JSS have been triggered by the ratio of closed to open contracts (5/4)? 
2. Can clients change their private ratings?
3. Can you roughly assume that 80% of JSS is 2 out of 10 dissatisfied clients? 90% JSS = 1 client out of 10.
4. The article says that the JSS is updated every 2 weeks. Can you tell me please, why my JSS was updated after a week? 

1) It makes sense to encourage happy clients to close the contract, as great  feedback helps your JSS. 

2) I don't see 5/4, I see 7/2? Again, the key is to get them closed with good feedback.

Second 2)  No, private feedback can't be changed. We have private feedback because of unprofessional freelancers asking clients to change feedback. As a result of that public feedback is completely useless, clients just give 5 stars by default to avoid the hassle. That's also why the average (!) feedback on the site is 4.9.

3) All contracts being equal (!) you sort of can. However, higher value contracts weigh more heavily.

4) This happened to keep the "JSS Sunday" on every second odd Sunday (3rd, 5th, ... 19th, 21st etc etc etc) . We'll be back to 2-weekly updates until 2027 now. The next update will be on the 24th.

Sue P Member Since: Nov 26, 2011
134 of 153

I have a question regarding clients who pay for your work and are pleased with it but never end the job. I thought there was a new change that those open contracts (although completed) won't directly impact your rating? Is that correct? I just took out a ticket and asked and the bot said that from the present to the future, it won't impact your score but the past will. If that is true, it seems unfair to those who got on the Upwork platform earlier. Please clarify. Thank you.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
135 of 153

Hi Sue,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have already reached out to our team and the agent has provided you more information about this. Please check your ticket number: 30662837. If the client has not ended the contract and it has been completed, you do have the option to end it instead. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
136 of 153

Sue P wrote:

I thought there was a new change that those open contracts (although completed) won't directly impact your rating? Is that correct?

No, The change is that contracts that close without feedback no longer affect the JSS (Not that they did so often before) and this change is retroactive.

Ace Contributor
Jenny K Member Since: Jan 26, 2020
137 of 153

Hi! I recently competed a project wth a client. Once the project was complete, I asked the client if they could end the contract if there was no further work in the pipeline. They ended the contract, however now when I attempt to leave the client feedback it states "reason for ending contract" and requires that I leave a reason.

The contract has already clearly been closed though.

I am concerned that if I proceed, that Upwork willl register it as I (the freelancer) having closed the contract and that it could penalise my account in some way?

I habe yet to receive a JSS as I have only completed 4 jobs on Upwork.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
138 of 153

Hi Jenny,

If your client has ended the contract, they will need to post feedback for you. You will be notified also requesting that you submit your feedback to the client. Ending the contract doesn't directly affect your JSS; however, if the client has submitted negative feedback, that can negatively affect your JSS. Please read this help article to learn more about how the JSS is calculated and what can affect your score to change. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
139 of 153
Jenny K wrote:

now when I attempt to leave the client feedback it states "reason for ending contract" and requires that I leave a reason.

That appears every time you leave feedback... Perfectly normal.

Jenny K wrote:

I am concerned that if I proceed, that Upwork willl register it as I (the freelancer) having closed the contract and that it could penalise my account in some way?

You closing a contract wouldn't have any negative impact on your account at all, in any way. Who closes the contract is irrelevant, only the public and especially the private feedback matters.

Ace Contributor
Jenny K Member Since: Jan 26, 2020
140 of 153

Thanks Petra for your assistance.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS