Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 153

Muhammad Abdul Reh A wrote:

I told him that if I don't deliver on time, it would affect my JSS and Rising Talent Badge (which I lost because of 2 unresponsive clients).

Why did you lie to the client?

Now, I haven't heard from him since 02 November, 2020. I have tried to contact him 4 times, but he hasn't replied.

Clients can't change deadlines and they are utterly irrelevant to Upwork and you need to leave the client alone. You are heading for bad feedback the way you are going, and rightly so!

I'm sure this inactive project is taking a toll on my JSS,

No, it doesn't affect your JSS AT ALL!

But somewhere down the line, Upwork will have to give freelancers a fair shot against rude and unfair clients.

The client was neither rude nor unfair. You asked the client to do something that is impossible and unnecessary and then bugged him. The client TOLD you the project is delayed. Concentrate on your other work.

Muhammad Abdul Reh A Member Since: May 2, 2019
32 of 153

That's quite an out of proportion response from you. I don't get what has caused you to make a personal attack against a person you barely know. I'm referring to you calling me a liar. The criteria of Rising Talent Badge has this sentence "Complete projects on time and as promised to clients." Either the criteria page is wrong or you are.

Second, I know clients can't change the deadlines. I asked him to give me an approximate idea for how long the project might be put on hold, so that I can make a deadline modification request. But he didn't respond.

Third, this is the onlysensible point you've made, I didn't know this bit. The rest of your reply is quite disproportionate to be honest, and you should work on your word selection.
Fourhtly, you've referred to the deadline change request again. I've already cleared it in the second point.

Alexandria R Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
33 of 153

I've been running my business on Upwork for three years. A few months ago, I closed a lot of idle contracts and my JSS dropped just below 90%. When Upwork started the new 'no feedback contracts will no longer impact JSS,' my JSS went back up to 100%. 

However, each week, my JSS has maintained above 90% and yet, the time frame does not change. It has said I am Top Rated eligible for only 10 weeks. This isn't changing. This week (Nov 22) it updated and continued to say I was only eligible for 10 weeks. It said that on the last update (Nov 8), and the update prior to that.

This wouldn't be a problem, clients are still coming to me regularly. However, there are a lot of financial perks that are being offered to Top Rated Plus and Expert-Vetted freelancers that aren't being offered to anyone else. I'm now being paid more slowly on this basis. That's a problem for a small business that relies on this platform for cash flow. 

What's the deal here? How do I become Expert-Vetted (I have three advanced degrees) or fix this technical issue so I can resume business as usual?

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
34 of 153

Hi Alexandria,

If you didn't see any changes to your score this weekend, it's possible that the number of No Feedback contracts you have wasn't significant enough to affect your score before. I'd also like to note that there are a lot of factors that go into the calculation and determine whether the score changes (or not) with each refresh. You can check this help article for more information. 

Regarding your interest in earning an Expert-Vetted Talent, this program is currently by invitation only in select skill categories. This will vary depending on your skill category, but you will be required to interview with an Upwork talent scout and complete several other tests, such as a skills assessment.

-Joanne
Untitled
Alexandria R Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
35 of 153

Thanks for your response, Joanne. 

However, it's not just the score that hasn't changed. The time period hasn't changed - that is what I'm referring to. So for several weeks it has continued to say '10 out of 16 weeks,' although we are several weeks past the initial score drop.  

Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
36 of 153

Hi Alexandria,

The Top-Rated Eligible Weeks metric keeps track of that progress looking at the last 16 weeks as a rolling window. You can check the Calculating Top Rated Eligible Weeks section of this help article to learn more about how the rolling window works.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Untitled
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
37 of 153

Alexandria R wrote:

However, there are a lot of financial perks that are being offered to Top Rated Plus and Expert-Vetted freelancers that aren't being offered to anyone else. 

You've got that completely wrong. If you're top rated (you don't have to be "plus" or EV) you can get paid slightly faster on hourly contracts. In terms of financial perks, that's it. Nothing else.

Vitaly P Member Since: Nov 24, 2020
38 of 153

I have about 30-40 jobs closed all over the time. All of them except just one(that has about 4.5) have 5-stars. So my rating was 100% for 4 years. Lately I've finished contract with 4.8-star grade, and now (after update I assume) my rating ruined to 76%.

Ok, let's suggest that that client wrote me a great positive feedback (you can check it) but secretly left bad private feedback. Client frankly spoke to me that that was "first time hiring someone on Upwork" (as accont manager I assume, because company itseft has huge history on Upwork).

WAIT WHAT ???

from 100% to 76% for one private feedback, with no way to even check whether claims were real or not? 

Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
39 of 153

Vitaly P wrote:

I have about 30-40 jobs closed all over the time. All of them except just one(that has about 4.5) have 5-stars. So my rating was 100% for 4 years. Lately I've finished contract with 4.8-star grade, and now (after update I assume) my rating ruined to 76%.

I think the problem here is that most of your jobs are outside of the two-year JSS window. It looks like you only have seven in the last two years, and four of those are pretty small. So yes, with the new size weighting on JSS and the small number of jobs to compare to, this one job could have an outsized impact on your score.

Vitaly P Member Since: Nov 24, 2020
40 of 153

Wes, thanks a lot for chasing my case. You are probabbly right, I had a pause in work as I was busy outside the Upwork, then returned to active work lately (this active work is inside current upwork ongoing projects, that are definitely succesful and where clients as always are happy to work with me).   

Ok, I met that "special" client who tells "great job, thanks a lot" after every round during long work, claims nothing and then gives bad private feedbak. Ok, that happend, and I should just overcome this.

But what be really great is to understand how (mathematically) to get 100% rating back. I mean according to that formula:

(successful contract outcomes - negative contract outcomes) / total outcomes

(from that Job Success Score page)

That one negatibe feedback will affect your score at least  6 months. No matter how much super-positive earnings you'll get - you'll be far from 100% according to the formula mentioned above. If all you private feedbacks will be positive then after 6 months that negative feedback will leave "6 month score" and that score will not be affected by it. Am I mathematically correct?

My idea that if calculate according to formula above - then if negative feedback had "$500" weight and I will theoretically earn $50 000 - then rating will still be around (50 000 - 500)/(50 500) = 98%

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS