Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
41 of 153

Vitaly wrote:

That one negatibe feedback will affect your score at least  6 months. No matter how much super-positive earnings you'll get - you'll be far from 100%

Well, not "far" necessarily, but yes, 100% isn't possible until a poor outcome falls out of the calculation window. The closer you get to 100%, the smaller the increases as well, that's just how percentages work.

If all you private feedbacks will be positive then after 6 months that negative feedback will leave "6 month score" and that score will not be affected by it. Am I mathematically correct?

Yes

Alexandria R Member Since: Aug 16, 2018
42 of 153

Hi Christine, 

Thank you for responding. 

I believe it is misleading to say my interpretation of these perks is 'completely wrong.'

For small businesses with limited cash flow, waiting an additional week for a payout can be problematic. Particularly if the payout then has to go through a company payroll system on the other end.

Top Rated, Top Rated Plus, and Expert Vetted (new nomenclature notwithstanding) all increase marketing effectiveness and impact the ability to gain new contracts. These categories are also selected for invitation opportunities that others on the site are not. 

Top Rateds also have reduced fees on Featured Jobs. 

However, if you have lost Top Rated status as a result of non-responses from closing inactive contracts (which they no longer even use to calculate JSS), you lost all of these 'financial perks.' 

Community Guru
43 of 153

Alexandria R wrote:

I believe it is misleading to say my interpretation of these perks is 'completely wrong.'

It's not.

Let's take a close look at what you stated: However, there are a lot of financial perks that are being offered to Top Rated Plus and Expert-Vetted freelancers that aren't being offered to anyone else.

This is factually incorrect as all (which means 2 lol and only one is truly a financial perk as such) perks that are offered to Top Rated Plus and Expert Vettet freelancers are also offered to top rated freelancers.

It is also factually incorrect to claim that people are "waiting an additional week" - Top rated freelancers get their money 5 days earlier, and everyone else gets theirs exactly the same as before. It also isn't more money, so it really isn't a financial perk.

Kinjalben J Member Since: Nov 26, 2020
44 of 153

I have total 9 jobs. Out of these jobs total 6 reviews and rating have 5 Start and One have 4 Start but Job success score display 75% and after these change I did not get any response from client after these score show. I have bid almost 60-70 job and not get single message after these change. Is it worth to buy connect when Upwork don't give proper score?

Community Guru
45 of 153

Kinjalben J wrote:

Is it worth to buy connect when Upwork don't give proper score?

The JSS is calculated and displayed automatically according to the outcomes of your contracts. It's mainly the private feedback clients leave that affects the JSS, the stars and public feedback doesn't mean that much.

Whether you are getting a good return for investment is something you need to decide for yourself, but people have recovered from worse JSS levels.

46 of 153

I have applied for 160 Jobs in just 40-50 days and I have spent $60-$70 for purchase connects. I got a rising talent label for 10 days and then after everything is a boom. No message because of Job Success Score. I didn't get a message from the large contract so i decide to bid only small task because it seems like i am wasting connect for large contract/jobs. 

Come to Upwork with many hope but it seems like hard to survive because you earn $300 from your job. where $60 upwork fees, $60 spend of buy connects so half your income goes to upwork and nothing i get afterward except 75% score.

Bipin S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
47 of 153

I got your point and all I can suggest is you can improve the quality of your Cover letter be specific to the requirements and ask counter questions to show your expertise in the job in which you are applying.

Clients will definitely message your back after reading your cover letter. Also, give good examples of your past work and try to give examples of particular domain

For example : If the client wants to build a Food ordering app and you already developed a food ordering app in the past then show it to the client when you are applying for his job put URL of that app in your cover later.

I am sure this strategy will lead you to get more responses from clients and getting more projects in the future as well as help in improving your JSS score.

Best of luck

Bipin

48 of 153
Thank Bipin For reply. I have written Cover Letter in good format and also same which you are suggestion but i have seen reply hike when I have RISING TALENT badge. You can see 10 out of 8 Messages came when I have bedges? Even also the Community Guru saying that invest and get return later but for the good review and rating we are doing the double job than the client's expectation but still we are getting 75%.
Bipin S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
49 of 153

I can understand your situation, it's not a good situation to be in. But invest in good jobs which you are sure you can do it fluently without any major problems. And make sure you are bidding on the proejcts in which you are already an expert.

Regarding doing double work and not getting appreciated for it, that shows that you need to improve on freezing the scope of work and communicate with the client what needs to be done and how much time actually it will take. But before all that you need to be sure which task will take how much time, then tell the facts to the client before even starting the work, Do not just say yes to everything that client asks for, As you need to do the work and you know how much time it will take.

Does that make sense?

Also, give the exact hours for the task which you are going to do and stand on what you are saying to the client, that's your commitment to the client. Then I am sure you will not get bad reviwes and feedbacks more often.

I hope this helps

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
50 of 153

Kinjalben J wrote:

I have applied for 160 Jobs in just 40-50 days and I have spent $60-$70 for purchase connects. I got a rising talent label for 10 days and then after everything is a boom. No message because of Job Success Score. I didn't get a message from the large contract so i decide to bid only small task because it seems like i am wasting connect for large contract/jobs. 

Come to Upwork with many hope but it seems like hard to survive because you earn $300 from your job. where $60 upwork fees, $60 spend of buy connects so half your income goes to upwork and nothing i get afterward except 75% score.

You have a few issues that you need to consider as you weigh whether continuing is cost-effective for you.

First, if I were seeking QA assistance for an app that I planned to launch in EN speaking regions, I would not select you. That 4-star review lays out the problem. It may be that the client underestimated the work involved and you were simply stuck trying to perform. But your response to his feedback makes it obvious that you don't have a strong grasp of EN. It is possible that someone whose EN skills were higher would have been able to handle the support materials.

Next, it is likely that the 4-star client gave you a very low private score which will hold your JSS down for at least 6 months. So, the private feedback for every project you take on going forward will have to be near-perfect for you to improve your score. 

Third, spammers and scammers will now be targeting you. They know that inexperienced freelancers with poor JSS are desperate and will perform free and out-of-scope work just to avoid getting bad feedback. If you decide to continue, only take gigs from clients who have a solid history of hiring and leaving fair feedback on the platform. Investigate each new offer carefully. 

Finally, there's the ROI. Based on your current pattern, you are only keeping about half of each dollar you earn (and that's before paying your local taxes). You need to calculate your net gains per hour of time invested-all the time you invest. Figure out how much time you spend looking for gigs and working them. Then compare that to how much money you actually get to keep to find out your effective hourly rate. It is probably going to be something less than $3, yes? 

Once you have this hourly rate, ask yourself these questions:
1. Do I need the work, even at this rate? (If you need money to survive, $1 is better than $0.)

2. Is there something else that I could have done/could be doing with my time that would earn a better rate? (This is your opportunity cost- what could you be earning if you spent your time doing something else?)

Use this information and your answers to decide whether Upwork is the place where you want to invest your time. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS