🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Percentage of Sucess not increasing
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Hello Upwork Team,

My success percentage is not moving, I have completed 4 successful projects in the last week all with a 5-star rating and one with a bonus from the client too. but my percentage is not moving up. it is 96% since then.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,125 REPLIES 1,125
petra_r
Community Member

Arben M wrote:
My job success changed in 10 January from 100 to 92 and after 2 days I made 3 jobs with full feedback and my job success is still 92.
Whats the problem?

Nothing is the problem at all.

It updates once every 2 weeks on a Sunday evening UTC.

salim-mia
Community Member

Greetings!

I am a Digital marketer. I have already completed 8 Jobs with good feedback. One job are not rated yet for the client's busyness. My current jss is 70%. I am very worried. How I can improve my jss score. I need little help. Thanks!

emaanf
Community Member

Hi All,

I just had an hourly contract with my client and I Worked 2 hours for her but unfortunately, i was unable to logged hours to project and client cancelled the contract after that I ask her that I haven't logged in hours so she added the bonus amount and ended the contract again. And I can see 5 stars on my feedback section. I don't know the details than that.

My only concern is That cancellation will affect my job score?

re: "My only concern is whether or not that cancellation will affect my job score?"

Don't worry. It will not.

guitarnaiad
Community Member

I went into business for myself full time last year and put focus into building up my profile and reputation on Upwork. I'm someone who values high quality and has high expectations for myself. I prioritize customer service. Unfortunately, after only a couple of projects on Upwork, I dealt with a difficult client. We had a clear agreement drawn up with a defined scope, yet they kept asking for more. They'd miss deadlines to get me content or approve something. I accommodated them as much as I could at first (my mistake, I realize), but I finally had to push back and set clear boundaries. After weeks of expressing their happiness with my work, they did a 180 and wrote me a very accusatory rant where they expressed their unhappiness with my project management system (Asana) and the amount of emails they get from Upwork (they'd activated Upwork's weeklly check-in feature and I can't control how many emails Upwork sends them outside that). I'd also spent 2 hours training them on Asana over video. To their credit, when I pointed them back to our agreement, they admitted they'd made a mistake and misunderstood our scope. I'm not sure how I could have avoided this misunderstanding, as I'd spent over an hour with them on video chat answering their questions and going over the scope. I'd also offered to complete the out of scope work at my own expense (1 video) since there was confusion. 

At the end of the day, my work gave them great results, including a 6500% increase in visitors to their website and a 420% increase in social media followers (over 2 months). They met or exceeded their fundraising goals. Yet they still complained about Asana and the amount of emails they received from Upwork, both of which they had full control over. Our contract was for 2 months and we decided not to extend it. I was honestly relieved because I found this client to be impossible to please and very draining. Unfortunately, they left me not-so-great feedback, dinging me for availability and cooperation. This is, again, a surprise to me as I answered their texts at all hours and promptly addressed all of their requests. I went above and beyond (cooperation-wise) to make it work and keep them happy. 

So now I'm stuck with this 75% JSS. Feedback to Upwork - why not wait until at least 8-10 jobs to give someone a score? Sometimes us newbies run into clients who are impossible to please, and this is only my second rating in the last year. From what I'm told, this will now make it very difficult to find new clients on here, and if taking on low paying jobs is the only way to "recover" it (the advice I've seen), I'm not sure continuing on Upwork makes sense for me after I wrap up my projects in progress. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it really difficult to get new clients with a JSS like this? Do you have any advice on recovering the score that doesn't include taking on low-paying jobs below your skill level, which tend to be attached to more difficult clients? 

Thank you!

Tara K wrote:

I went into business for myself full time last year and put focus into building up my profile and reputation on Upwork. I'm someone who values high quality and has high expectations for myself. I prioritize customer service. Unfortunately, after only a couple of projects on Upwork, I dealt with a difficult client. We had a clear agreement drawn up with a defined scope, yet they kept asking for more. They'd miss deadlines to get me content or approve something. I accommodated them as much as I could at first (my mistake, I realize), but I finally had to push back and set clear boundaries. After weeks of expressing their happiness with my work, they did a 180 and wrote me a very accusatory rant where they expressed their unhappiness with my project management system (Asana) and the amount of emails they get from Upwork (they'd activated Upwork's weeklly check-in feature and I can't control how many emails Upwork sends them outside that). I'd also spent 2 hours training them on Asana over video. To their credit, when I pointed them back to our agreement, they admitted they'd made a mistake and misunderstood our scope. I'm not sure how I could have avoided this misunderstanding, as I'd spent over an hour with them on video chat answering their questions and going over the scope. I'd also offered to complete the out of scope work at my own expense (1 video) since there was confusion. 

At the end of the day, my work gave them great results, including a 6500% increase in visitors to their website and a 420% increase in social media followers (over 2 months). They met or exceeded their fundraising goals. Yet they still complained about Asana and the amount of emails they received from Upwork, both of which they had full control over. Our contract was for 2 months and we decided not to extend it. I was honestly relieved because I found this client to be impossible to please and very draining. Unfortunately, they left me not-so-great feedback, dinging me for availability and cooperation. This is, again, a surprise to me as I answered their texts at all hours and promptly addressed all of their requests. I went above and beyond (cooperation-wise) to make it work and keep them happy. 

So now I'm stuck with this 75% JSS. Feedback to Upwork - why not wait until at least 8-10 jobs to give someone a score? Sometimes us newbies run into clients who are impossible to please, and this is only my second rating in the last year. From what I'm told, this will now make it very difficult to find new clients on here, and if taking on low paying jobs is the only way to "recover" it (the advice I've seen), I'm not sure continuing on Upwork makes sense for me after I wrap up my projects in progress. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it really difficult to get new clients with a JSS like this? Do you have any advice on recovering the score that doesn't include taking on low-paying jobs below your skill level, which tend to be attached to more difficult clients? 

Thank you!

Tara, you can recover from this. I dropped to 88% at one point last year, and I came back.  Keep writing stellar proposals, you might have to take a tiny pay cut on Upwork to get that score back up, and remember that not everything comes down to JSS. I was still getting invites aplenty at 88%. 75% is a little more challenging, but there was a user on here who was at 50% and now is at 100%. He said he had to send out a lot of proposals, he cut his rate to get some jobs to bring the JSS back up, and now he's doing great, back at a high rate, etc. 

JSS is not the death knell that everyone thinks it is. 

Tara K wrote:

Do you have any advice on recovering the score that doesn't include taking on low-paying jobs below your skill level, which tend to be attached to more difficult clients? 

That one contract hit you hard because it was by far the biggest of your completed contracts.

However, you have two more in progress which are of significant size and with so few contracts completed to date, every one will have a significant impact for better or for worse.

You should be able to recover from this relatively quickly and easily. Taking on some smalerl (with "smaller" I mean short one offs, not low-paying) contracts you can do easily and quickly would also help. If your current clients were open to closing the current contracts and rehiring you (whether it's a good idea to ask or not depends on what kind of relationship you have with them) that would help significantly, too.

liuyuan90
Community Member

Hi, dear Upwork.
I am Yuan.
I have a question.
I ended many jobs with good feedback in the last month/week, but my JSS didn't updated more from 90%.
Could you please let me know that's why?
Best redards.

rhinoman2112
Community Member

A client and I closed a contract recently and they left good feedback (5 stars publicly, and I have no reason to think they would post bad private feedback as the job went great). I had a job before this and I guess the client left bad private feedback because the next day my JSS dropped to 90% (from 100%).

The thing is, it's been a few days since they left the review (the new one) and my JSS hasn't changed at all. Of course I don't expect it to go to 100%, but it was my highest paying job so it should have some weight right?

How long does it usually take for new feedback to affect the JSS? Only asking because my JSS dropped only the next day from the job before this, but now it's been a few days since this one and no change.

Hi Callum,

The JSS is recalculated every two weeks on Sunday. The last recalculation was last Sunday so you should see a change at the end of next week. 

Munkhbold

Callum S wrote:

The thing is, it's been a few days since they left the review (the new one) and my JSS hasn't changed at all. Of course I don't expect it to go to 100%, but it was my highest paying job so it should have some weight right?

How long does it usually take for new feedback to affect the JSS? 

It updates every 14 days, on a Sunday evening UTC. The last update was last Sunday. So the next update won't be for another 9 days (Sunday next week)

xxpresenterxx
Community Member

Hi, I would want help in fixing my job success score. A client left negative feedback on my profile yet I had already reported her for refusing to pay me and I won the dispute

Edward W wrote:

Hi, I would want help in fixing my job success score. 

Complete more contracts with perfect outcomes.

Edward W wrote:

A client left negative feedback on my profile

Your last 3 clients were not happy. You need to take a long, hard look at what's going on....

The last three tasks are from one client that is the reason I am complaining
reosky
Community Member

-- EDIT

Question moved to the right place

mmh_mamun
Community Member

Dear Scholars,
I was completed 4 fixed job, 1 of them agency job.
The last month, I have completed the agency job. Unfortunetely, he leaves a 4 stars review with nice appreciation comments. As a result, my profile's job success score was 71%.

After that, when I contact with my honourable clients, he said that It was his mistake. Then, he changed from 4 stars to 5 stars review.

I thought after 2 weeks, my profile automatically will all right. But after 2 weeks, it is showing up 71%.

Now please suggest me what can I do for this issue?

Cheers,
Mahmudul H.

Mahmudul H wrote:

Then, he changed from 4 stars to 5 stars review.

I thought after 2 weeks, my profile automatically will all right. But after 2 weeks, it is showing up 71%.

The same as regarding your other post about the exact same issue

The JSS is mostly or entirely determined through the private feedback, not the stars. The private feedback can't be changed because unprofessional freelancers bother clients about their feedback and ask to have it changed, which is the reason why the stars are meaniningless and the average feedback rating is 4.9... Most clients leave 5 stars for everyone unless the freelancer literally made a complete mess of things.

In other words: To improve your JSS complete more contracts with perfect outcomes. Otherwise it will stay where it is.

cdbb8da1
Community Member

How we can increase JSS?
abbas_tauseef
Community Member

I got a rising talent badge and have completed four jobs so far with five stars ratings (one is a continued job). My first ever job success score is displayed on my profile this morning and it is 75 percent. Why?

Tauseef A wrote:
I got a rising talent badge and have completed four jobs so far with five stars ratings (one is a continued job). My first ever job success score is displayed on my profile this morning and it is 75 percent. Why?

Private feedback and/or canceled or no-money-paid contracts. 

Martina P wrote:

Private feedback and/or canceled or no-money-paid contracts. 

Closed or cancelled contracts with nothing ever paid only affect the JSS if there is poor priivate feedback since the changes in November.

If there is no (private) feedback or good (private) feedback, there is no effect either way.

Well, non of my contracts were closed prematurely with zero earnings.
I got 15 USD from a one time project, 140 (120+20 bonus )for another monthly while I already have got 234 USD from a contract that may be closed in a day or two. Another closed contract I worked on and earned 60 USD. All of the four closed contracts I did so far have 5 stars review. If I get another positive private and public feedback from the client who I earned more than what I earned from other contracts, from, would it enhance my job success score?
I have another open contract that's 100 USD budget. If I get full positive and private reviews from these two contracts, would I be able to enhance my job success score to at least 90?
My so far stats;
1 contract of 15 USD …closed.
2 contract of 140 USD …closed.
3 contract of 60 USD … closed.
4 contract of 30 USD …closed.
5 one contract of 234 USD …will be closed soon.
6 one contract of 100 USD is opened and will be completed in next two weeks.

My current job success score is 75....
If I earned full positive private and public feedback from the two next, would I be able to increase my scores up to 90?
innov8develop
Community Member

Just had my first job success score at 73% and I don’t understand how that figure has been calculated. My work history is as follows:

Completed 16 contracts

8 contracts remain open – projects complete but client hasn’t closed contract

All clients have paid in full

1 client ordered a project from my catalogue and realised he had misread the details so I immediately refunded his $10, no feedback

4 clients have left feedback, 3 are 5* 1 is 4.65*

Can someone explain the low JSS?

Should I go back to the clients who haven’t closed their contacts and ask them to do so and leave feedback?

Surely if a client wasn’t satisfied, they a) wouldn’t pay in full and b) they would let me know what was wrong.

I am really concerned that this will effect my chances of attracting work.  I have worked hard to build a good reputation, communicating with clients and checking they are happy so this has come as a blow, how do I solve this?.

Angela

Angela E wrote:

Just had my first job success score at 73% and I don’t understand how that figure has been calculated. My work history is as follows:

Completed 16 contracts

8 contracts remain open – projects complete but client hasn’t closed contract

All clients have paid in full

1 client ordered a project from my catalogue and realised he had misread the details so I immediately refunded his $10, no feedback

Can someone explain the low JSS?

Should I go back to the clients who haven’t closed their contacts and ask them to do so and leave feedback?

Surely if a client wasn’t satisfied, they a) wouldn’t pay in full and b) they would let me know what was wrong.

I am really concerned that this will effect my chances of attracting work.  I have worked hard to build a good reputation, communicating with clients and checking they are happy so this has come as a blow, how do I solve this?.

Angela

1. A no-money paid contract is bad.

2. Forget the stars and public feedback. What really counts is the private feedback. You might not have enough contracts yet for it to be displayed, but keep checking your "clients that would recommend you" number in your my stats page. 

3. Only way is more contracts with great private feedback. 

4. You made a tactical mistake by ending contracts yourself, always let the client do that, so that you are guaranteed feedback. If you are still in contact with prior clients, ask them to leave feedback. (I think you have to enable feedback in the job.)

5. With so few contracts, each and every one has a big impact on JSS (though they are weighted by value). The more contracts you have, the less impact a single bad feedback has. 

6. You can recover from this quickly because of 5. 

next to the clients who would recommend is a dash, what does this mean?

The refund was the client's fault, his misreading what he had ordered, why should I be penalised?

It seems very unfair if a client provides feedback and you don't have an opportunity to refute or learn from it if it is negative.

Angela E wrote:

next to the clients who would recommend is a dash, what does this mean?

It means there isn't enough feedback to calculate it. 

Angela E wrote:

The refund was the client's fault, his misreading what he had ordered, why should I be penalised?

You are not. That contract has absolutely no effect on your JSS at all.

Angela E wrote:

It seems very unfair if a client provides feedback and you don't have an opportunity to refute or learn from it if it is negative.

Come on, you knew that the contrat which ended with the 4.65 went really badly. The client didn't want to pay and told you the work wasn't good. We discussed that contract in length and it was clear that it wouldn't end in good feedback.

Angela E wrote:

Angela, I remember the client you had all the problems with, and he won't have left good private feedback (the stars are mostly irrelevant)

So we have 3 out of 4 (75%) went well, one didn't, and the JSS is Dollar weighed, with larger contracts counting more heavily, so the 73% looks about right.

Hi Petra

I did think that it might be him.  How can I counteract this?  This will impact on me getting work, I am a professional who takes feedback very seriously to improve my performance.  I gave him fair and constructive feedback but it appears that he says one thing publicly and another behind my back.  I am devistated that I can do nothing.

Angela E wrote:

Hi Petra

I did think that it might be him.  How can I counteract this? 

Of course it was and the only way to counteract it is to complete contracts with great outcomes, then your JSS will go up really quickly. 

You have 6 open contracts. How many of those are still really "active?"

If they are not active, encourage the clients to please close them. That way you get feedback and the poor outcome will be diluted.

Angela E wrote:

I gave him fair and constructive feedback but it appears that he says one thing publicly and another behind my back.

Because of how mental some freelancers go when they didn't get perfect 5 star feedback, clients tend to just always leave 5 stars by default, unless they absolutely hated working with the freelancer. That's why the public feedback is more or less eye-candy only and what counts is the private feedback, where clients can honestly express how they feel without fear of the usual reprisals.

Thanks Petra, the voice of reason.

It is sad that freelancer and client can't have an open and honest discussion, I can't see how a freelancer can effect a reprisal on a client, maybe I am being naive   It also appears that Upwork is clientcentric.

Thanks for your advice, I will contact past clients and explain that I would like their feedback and see what happens.

wrote:

I can't see how a freelancer can effect a reprisal on a client, maybe I am being naive  

You are being naive. We have seen begging, threatening, blackmailing, work being destroyed with a "you didn't like it, so I am taking it down", clients' businesses being bombarded with horrible reviews all over the Internet, clients website infected with a virus or turned into a porn-site....

Angela E wrote:

I will contact past clients and explain that I would like their feedback and see what happens.

NO! Don't mention feedback. Simply encourage the clients to close the contract. No need to mention feedback at all.

It also appears that Upwork is clientcentric.

Well, the customer is king. Clients bring the money. 

Thank you Petra, you are are great mentor Smiley Very Happy

innov8develop
Community Member

about JSS but it seems to have disappeared.

Angela E wrote:

about JSS but it seems to have disappeared.

No, it's just been merged into the usual JSS thread. When you click on your profile from the forum you see all your posts. 

iftikhar_qa
Community Member

Hi,

My jss was 100% since long time. This week it redueced to 97% without any reason.

Can you please let me know the reason and how to go back to 100%.

I have started 1 contract few weeks ago and now it is on hold. And this client is unresponsiveness.

Muhammad I wrote:

My jss was 100% since long time. This week it redueced to 97% without any reason.

Can you please let me know the reason and how to go back to 100%.

Not quite perfect private feedback from one of the contracts that closed during the 2 weeks between the last 2 updates.

It won't go back to 100% until the contract that caused the drop falls out of the calculation window.

Muhammad I wrote:

I have started 1 contract few weeks ago and now it is on hold. And this client is unresponsiveness.

How many weeks? I would close it. It does no good just sitting there.

Its almost 2.5 month before.

its started 2.5 month before but client never responded. contract id is 25841737

kerlynn7
Community Member

Hi all!

I’m so confused...one day I’m riding high with a JSS of 100% and the next day it falls to 83%, leaving me feeling completely dejected! I’ve completed 7 projects, 6 with 5-star feedback and 1 with a score of 4.2. The % of clients who would recommend me is 100%, so I don’t believe I’ve received negative private feedback. How can JSS drop this much, this quickly when 6/7 projects end in 5-star feedback? It makes it seem like there is the tiniest margin for error, making me nervous about future jobs. Any insights you can share would be very much appreciated - thank you!
petra_r
Community Member

Kerri M wrote:
I’m so confused...one day I’m riding high with a JSS of 100% and the next day it falls to 83%, leaving me feeling completely dejected! I’ve completed 7 projects, 6 with 5-star feedback and 1 with a score of 4.2. The % of clients who would recommend me is 100%, so I don’t believe I’ve received negative private feedback. 

One of your clients left poor private feedback. This is not yet calculated into your "Clients who would recommend you" metrics, because that is only recalculated after every several contracts.

Most likely the 4.2 one, which also happens to be the largest by far (the JSS is Dollar-weighed, so the larger the contract, the more it weighs.) That client rated your skills and quality of work as a 3, so that was very obviously not a completely happy client. 

The 83% look like the drop I'd expect wihen you have so few completed contracts. Think of it as 6 good outcomes, one not so good outcome. 1 in 7 is quite significant, especially when it's a big one compared to the others.

Are all 6 of your "in progress" contracts truly in progress? Can any of them be closed by clients who would likely be leaving happy feedback? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members