Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfect example of the problem with the JSS

penngrp
Ace Contributor
Jeffrey B Member Since: Jan 8, 2016
1 of 6

I bid on a job the other day and afterwards out of curiosity I pointed the mouse on the other bidders to where that synopsis box pops-up. Most looked the same good JSS scores 90 and above, but one profile I clicked on as it had a JSS score of 100%, but the abbreviated profile looked odd.

After I ckicked I saw the individual did 5 jobs in the month of January each job had 5 stars and positive comments. Sounds fine until you look at the jobs.

Job 1: Real Estate Business Plan  - Money Earned $5

Job 2: Project Management & Program Design - Money Earned $5

Job: 3 Business plan - Money Earned $5.00

Job: 4 RPF (I guess they meant RFP) $3/hr - Money Earned $1.50

Job 5: Program Design $3/hr - Money Earned $2

For those keeping score that is 5 jobs for a total earnings of $18.50 less $1.85 in fees. Did I mention that each job was for the same client.

Before anyone says anything I realize these jobs are not real and were just developed to "pad" the freelancers JSS score.

My problem with this is I know that with my JSS score potential clients will not even bother to read my proposals, yet they will see this individuals 100% and read his proposal. He will not get the job, but at least they will read his proposal.

As for me I was invited to a project yesterday and despite not having a job yet I submitted a proposal that was $125 over budget. I explained why I bid higher and provided a sample business plan so that he could see the quality of my work.

I was awarded the project late last night/early this morning, which is great, but I know as it stands individuals with 100% JSS scores and total earnings of $18.25 will still be considered before me.

Still in a way I should be thankful as these past few months I made significant mprovements to my company website and began to get customers here and there. It is a small step, but at least it is in the right direction. So, although I am suffering a little from Elance's closing I would not have made these small (but steady) strides outside of the freelance websites such as Upwork if Elance had remained operational.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 6

@Jeffrey B wrote:

Still in a way I should be thankful as these past few months I made significant mprovements to my company website and began to get customers here and there. It is a small step, but at least it is in the right direction. So, although I am suffering a little from Elance's closing I would not have made these small (but steady) strides outside of the freelance websites such as Upwork if Elance had remained operational.

It's true that this is the only good thing I can think of that is a direct result of the JSS. Your own website can make you far more money than here and if you don't have one it's easy to throw one up for $50. 

I, and I'm sure many others have done this, and more will do it. Upwork is not the be all and end all. Invest a little in yourself and your own site and do a bit of advertising and you're on your way to freedom.

jbampton
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
3 of 6

The whole state of this platform is almost a complete joke.

I agree the JSS is complete non-sense.   Thousands paid at 5 stars at a high rate, then a few tiny jobs for virtually nothing can just ruin your JSS score. 

A lot of successful clients are to busy to leave feedback once the job is successfully completed and yet the freelancer is punished for this.

I mean come on advertising $40 per hour as experts, here in Australia some gardeners get $50 per hour AUS

I can tell you now I don't class myself as an expert in anything, real experts are not found on this platform.

Where are the real high paying jobs?!?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Jeffrey,

I'm glad to hear you're having a successful start on Upwork shortly after migrating from Elance. It's always a pleasure to see that Upwork freelancers are able to secure contracts at their own rate and Upwork clients are willing to award jobs to freelancers who bid considerably higher than the proposed budget. 

Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

Two point: The original poster concluded that a set of five jobs he saw on another contractor's profile were fake jobs.

He might be right.

But he might be wrong. I don't know that we can say for sure.

What I can say for sure is that it is an incredibly risky thing to do to create fake jobs for the purpose of getting good reviews, because Upwork is very against this and has aggressive algorithms and methods for identifying fraudulent behavior of this sort. I would advise anybody on Upwork that the risk involved in doing so far outweighs the potential benefit. Upwork terminates accounts and confiscates funds or blocks financial activity when it suspects this sort of thing.

Second, yes it is true that after five small jobs, a contractor has a job success score. But just as the original poster was able to do, potential clients can also view the contractor's work history and make a determination for themselves if they think the work history seems either fraudulent or simply unimpressive.

penngrp
Ace Contributor
Jeffrey B Member Since: Jan 8, 2016
6 of 6

Preston H said:

"Two point: The original poster concluded that a set of five jobs he saw on another contractor's profile were fake jobs.

He might be right.

But he might be wrong. I don't know that we can say for sure"

When the 5 jobs are posted by the same individual and they are valued and completed for about 1/100th of the typical price for such projects it is pretty safe to assume they are not real projercts.

"Second, yes it is true that after five small jobs, a contractor has a job success score. But just as the original poster was able to do, potential clients can also view the contractor's work history and make a determination for themselves if they think the work history seems either fraudulent or simply unimpressive."

True, but what I pointed out was that his high JSS score would at least cause people to click on his proposal, where as in my case the low JSS would cause them to not even read my proposal.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS