🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
Page options
94c0ab26
Community Member

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Hiya! I hope everyone's having an awesome Wednesday.

I've only been with UpWork a couple of months, but every day, with very few exceptions, I've submitted at least one proposal. Most of them have concerned proofreading and/or editing.

Several of the early jobs turned out to be spam, but some nice users in this forum gave me tips on how to identify fake postings, so I quickly grew better at detecting them and refraining from wasting my time.

Regardless, every legit job for which I've submitted a proposal has either disappeared or gotten rejected. Maybe it takes longer than a couple months to get accepted for the first time, due to the lack of prior UpWork jobs I can show -- or maybe I'm simply not providing the kind of cover letter that works well. I've pasted my typical cover letter below. If anyone has any constructive criticism, I'm all ears. (Well, eyes.)

Thank you! -- Chris

----

Good afternoon! I was happy to see the requirements for this job, as proofreading and editing are my major specialties.

[Here, I'll usually add something specific to the job, such as "I also love the idea of a cookbook that centers on dairy-free foods."]
I never miss a single error in spelling, grammar or punctuation; and if you wish, I can also help to identify redundancies and unnecessary word repetition. I ensure, to a rather obsessive degree, that the text flows perfectly.
I've been writing and editing for decades, and I've become quite laser-eyed.
Further, I can provide testimonials from past clients, if you like. For two authors in particular, I proofread and cleaned up several published books, one of which is currently being used in universities in northeastern America.
Thank you for your time!
Respectfully,
Christopher Federico

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You NEED a better picture. You are not even looking into the camera. Your picture is an important part of making a connection, you might be losing lots of potential clients right there. 

To your proposal:

Good afternoon! I was happy to see the requirements for this job, as proofreading and editing are my major specialties. This could be seen as insulting the client's intelligence. He knows his job posting. You don't have to repeat it to him. 

[Here, I'll usually add something specific to the job, such as "I also love the idea of a cookbook that centers on dairy-free foods."]  Not terrible, but not great. Again, the client knows his task. It's nice that you like it, but not material to the job. You are slowing down the narrative, the narrative being WHY you are the best person for this task. 
I never miss a single error in spelling, grammar or punctuation; and if you wish, (I would hope that you would do that on your own. Just correcting spelling without making the text sound great is really not what you should deliver) I can also help to identify redundancies and unnecessary word repetition. I ensure, to a rather obsessive degree, that the text flows perfectly.
I've been writing and editing for decades, and I've become quite laser-eyed.
Further, I can provide testimonials from past clients, if you like. For two authors in particular, I proofread and cleaned up several published books, one of which is currently being used in universities in northeastern America. (Ask those people for testimonials ....)
Thank you for your time!
Respectfully,
Christopher Federico

It's too long, rambling, and you only talk about yourself. You don't ask any questions. Don't you need to know more about the text? Wordcount? Don't you want to tell the client how long it will take and how much it will cost? 

End with a call to action. 

I hope I gave you some ideas what you could improve. Come back with a second draft!

Well, that explains it!

I've been adding details about the job posting based on the guides that I've been reading on UpWork. They state that the proposer should indicate that he's thoroughly read the posting and understands it. I'm apparently overdoing it in that capacity.

In terms of length, I suppose that I've misunderstood the term "cover letter," which, to my half-century-old brain, doesn't indicate something brief. I guess times have changed!

THANK YOU for the advice. It was kind of you to take the time. I'll gratefully accept your invitation to return with a second draft. The first order of business is evidently to take another photo!

Thanks again, Martina! I really appreciate it.

Christopher F wrote:

Well, that explains it!

I've been adding details about the job posting based on the guides that I've been reading on UpWork. They state that the proposer should indicate that he's thoroughly read the posting and understands it. I'm apparently overdoing it in that capacity.

In terms of length, I suppose that I've misunderstood the term "cover letter," which, to my half-century-old brain, doesn't indicate something brief. I guess times have changed!

THANK YOU for the advice. It was kind of you to take the time. I'll gratefully accept your invitation to return with a second draft. The first order of business is evidently to take another photo!

Thanks again, Martina! I really appreciate it.

Upwork is great for connecting with clients; they've built a great platform for doing so. Their competency, however, is not in helping freelancers learn how to write good proposals or land jobs. These are better skills to learn from your colleagues here than Upwork corporate. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members