🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Person that was racist
Page options
2fe60348
Community Member

Person that was racist

Guys, this person: **edited for Community Guidelines** was racist and also asked me for money outside this website, do you know what el I CAN DO??

10 REPLIES 10
kat303
Community Member

You can report her to customer service and provide documentation of her being racist and asking for money off site. 

smartmarv
Community Member

what did she say? be specific
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mikael, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this freelancer. I checked your account and it looks like the team is assisting you through your private message in our social media channel. In order for us to assist you more efficiently, I would recommend that you continue communicating with the team through your private message so that they can assist you further. 

I'll also let them know that you flagged the same user here. Thank you!

~ Avery
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mikael:

I do not doubt that you had a negative experience.

But you can not simply come to the Forum and use the R-word like that.

I think that such language and behaviour should be grounds for expulsion from the platform.

If you believe a client was acting inappropriately or violating Upwork ToS, then tell us what he did. But it is not acceptable to come here and use the R-word, especially without explaining yourself.

The word is used too frequently, and most of the time it is used inappropriately. So simply throwing it out there like that makes us suspicious of you, not your client.

Preston H wrote:

But you can not simply come to the Forum and use the R-word like that.

I think that such language and behaviour should be grounds for expulsion from the platform.

So simply throwing it out there like that makes us suspicious of you, not your client.

Would you have pontificated with the same sanctimonious´pomposity had you realised that the OP is the client?

Petra, that type of language and behavior is inappropriate regardless of whether it comes from a freelancer or a client.

There is nothing pompous or sanctimonious about identitying language and behavior which does not belong in a professional space such as Upwork.

Preston H wrote:

There is nothing pompous or sanctimonious

Suggesting that someone should be kicked off the platform for using the "r" word, (rather than the behaviour that may have led to its use in the first place) and then pontificating about the validity of the word's use is both.

Neither of us know what happened, and generally, the demographic who claims that words that decribe discriminatory behaviour should not be used are not the demographic who is in any position to determine the appropriateness of those terms in the first place, especially when completely ignorant of what actually happened.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Got to side with Preston on this one. 

This is a professional forum. I don't care what was said to whom and niether should anyone else. There's no reason to use this forum for it. This isn't back-and-forth-drama, "what did he say??!!!", stir-the-pot FB. 

Report, block, contact support. Period.

Preston H wrote:

The word is used too frequently, and most of the time it is used inappropriately. 

Wow. Do you have any evidence to back up that assertion? And I'm not sure why you feel the need to refer to racism as "the R-word". 

I do agree that the OP shouldn't have used this person's name in a public forum without saying what happened (and I can see that it was promptly removed), but people who are the victims of racism are often - understandably - humiliated by what was said to them and uncomfortable with repeating it. You don't need to add to the problem by suggesting that they be banned from the forum - you're way out of line here.

Christine A wrote:

Preston H wrote:

The word is used too frequently, and most of the time it is used inappropriately. 

Wow. Do you have any evidence to back up that assertion? And I'm not sure why you feel the need to refer to racism as "the R-word". 

I do agree that the OP shouldn't have used this person's name in a public forum without saying what happened (and I can see that it was promptly removed), but people who are the victims of racism are often - understandably - humiliated by what was said to them and uncomfortable with repeating it. You don't need to add to the problem by suggesting that they be banned from the forum - you're way out of line here.

Totally out of line.

Frankly with all the stuff that is said on the forum, for someone to try and censor that particular word and try to dictate what the user may or may not feel, is sickening and disappointing.

To then go and compound that distasteful behaviour by claiming that the "word is used too frequently, and most of the time it is used inappropriately" makes it worse. It speaks to character.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members