🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Personal Information asked by Client
Page options
sharafaye
Community Member

Personal Information asked by Client

Is it safe to send Curriculum Vitae with Government ID front and back to client in Upwork to be sent through Telegram?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Shara Faye A wrote:
I have been working for this client from May 10 up till now. Just want to
make sure if is it okay to send our Curriculum Vitae with Gov ID front and
back to the client using Telegram? He asked from all of us that works for
him.

As you have a contract with the client, you are allowed to communicate outside the platform and to exchange contact details. That means there is no problem with giving the client your CV on Telegram. I would personally be weary handing over scans of my ID. It is not against Upwork's terms of Service, but at the very least I would black out some details such as the number of the ID and probably the birth date and address and watermark the image to make sure it can't be used for identity theft.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Shara Faye, 

Your profile serves as your resume. This is why we always remind freelancers to keep their profiles updated. Please let your client know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications before the contract start must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the “Flag as Inappropriate” option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Joanne
Upwork

him.

Shara Faye A wrote:
him.

As you have a contract with the client, you are allowed to communicate outside the platform and to exchange contact details. That means there is no problem with giving the client your CV on Telegram. I would personally be weary handing over scans of my ID. It is not against Upwork's terms of Service, but at the very least I would black out some details such as the number of the ID and probably the birth date and address and watermark the image to make sure it can't be used for identity theft.

e825750a
Community Member

Hello,
Unfortunately, sending personal information to client is not safe. Upwork terms of services does not allow it. After all, he can get all information a client need in order to hire on your profile. This article may help you: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113-Sharing-Information-on-Upwork
Thanks,
Bruno

Bruno,

FYI - Upworks TOS does allow for a freelancer to provide personal information to a prospective client prior to having a contract in place a number of cases, including...

"Contact information can be shared if it is needed for legal purposes prior to a contract starting,"

...such as a non-disclosure agreement.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051749534-Contact-Information-Sharing

:

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it safe to send Curriculum Vitae with Government ID front and back to client in Upwork to be sent through Telegram?"

Scam.

I have never once seen a report of a prospective client sending an invitation to a freelancer and asking for pre-contract information to be sent through Telegram, or asking to interview through Telegram... when it wasn't a scam.

Based on everything I have seen, it's always a scam when a client does this.

And it's also a violation of Upwork ToS.

If a client wants to communicate via Telegram, she needs to hire the freelancer first, using an offiial Upwork contract.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Is it safe to send Curriculum Vitae with Government ID front and back to client in Upwork to be sent through Telegram?"

Scam.

The OP is hired by the client, along with a bunch of other freelancers and has been for a while,

Scammers don't usually hire and pay people through Upwork for weeks first, so there is no basis to determine that this is a scam.

Preston H wrote:

And it's also a violation of Upwork ToS.

No, it isn't

Preston H wrote:

If a client wants to communicate via Telegram, she needs to hire the freelancer first, using an offiial Upwork contract.

That is exactly what the client did weeks ago

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members