Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pet Peeves

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
1 of 40

Is there anything that bugs you so much about a posting/potential client that you are likely to pass by a job?

I'm not talking about real, practical issues like ridiculously low budgets or inadequate information, but something that's just a turn-off for you personally?

For me, it's those stupid requests like "write purple monkeys eating green bananas in your proposal so I know you read this"

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 40

Au contraire, I appreciate the jobs that require a secret word at the top of the application. The jobs that annoy me are the ones that omit a cover letter section and have perhaps one question to be answered. I then have to append what would otherwise write in my cover letter to my answer for the required question. On the other hand, I do pass up jobs that provide almost no details of the assignment.

Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 40

Mine is going down their history of jobs and seeing that they never bother to leave feedback.  If I see that, I move on.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Samuel R Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
4 of 40

If a job is legit in the first place, there is no need for some secret security subject or whatever....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 40

While I understand the client's perspective, I don't apply for jobs that require "perfect" grammar. I'm a human being and make mistakes. Asking me to be diligent is fine, but if someone wants perfection then I'm probably not the right candidate for them. 

I am also slowly (and the hard way) learning to reject any job that is "urgent." Either the job really isn't and they don't select someone until days later or they expect you to do 12 hours of work in 2 but maintain the same level of performance. So tired of offering to help someone in a tight spot only to have it backfire. But I still can't resist the siren call of a client in need. Woman Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 40

Yeah, the "write blah blah" at the top of your bid is annoying, but I do it sometimes and I kinda understand with the robo bidders annoying them with bids.

I just skipped a job today where it started off OK but then he said he required a writer to understand SEO and then said "keyword density." Moron. Pass.

Whenever some SEO "expert" asks me if I understand keyword density, I say:

Yes, sir, I sure do sir. Here is the calculation for keyword density.

keyworddensity.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 40

I'm gonna to steal this one from you Jen.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 40

The silence after your answer is full of lulz.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 40

That is awesome, Jenn.

I haven't received that particular inquiry, but I think that if I did my response would be something along the lines of, "Yes...I know that no one who does SEO effectively for high quality sites has used that term since roughly 2007."

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
10 of 40

I usually skip the ones that tell me it's an easy job if I know what I'm doing. To me, it just sounds arrogant and I don't want to deal with the person.If there's a huge list of demands (depending on how they're presented), I will usually skip that as well.

I also skip job postings where the client gives all freelancers bad feedback.

In the writing/editing field, there is this one type of job post that I usually skip. It's the one that says write "purple cow" on the top of your cover letter. And for a while, there were a lot of these although it seems to have calmed down a bit.

Now, I don't have anything against purple cows but the job postings were from different people and they all said the exact same thing. I went searching one time to try and find out where it's coming from and found some "How to Hire a Freelancer" site where it came from.

I actually broke down recently and sent in a bid for one of those jobs. I got the job but the client also gave me the worse rating I have ever received which has soured me even more on the purple cow job postings.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS