cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Phishing Scam

carolynsorrell
Carolyn S Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
1 of 10

I recently sent my upwork resume to a place called **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I thought their interview process seemed bogus so I sent an email to the **Edited for Community Guidelines** Help Desk and here's what they sent me back. This IS a phishing scam so do NOT respond to them.

This is NOT a legitimate offer of employment from the **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  You have received a fraudulent phishing email.  Please do not respond to any request for information from this party.

If you have any questions, please contact **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 10

They invited me, too. Last week, I think it was. I flagged the posting and invitation as fraud. 

View solution in original post

carolynsorrell
Carolyn S Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
3 of 10

Wonder why Upwork didn't take the job post down...??? A bunch of people may be at risk in this phishing scam that shouldn't even still be a valid job listing on the site. 

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
4 of 10

Normally, Upwork clients do not become "legitimized" by a thorough background check.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 10

Hi Carolyn,

Let me follow up with the team and make sure they review the job posting and account you are referring to and watch out for potential duplicates

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
cutsh
Richard C Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
6 of 10

I honestly dont think Upwork cares about phishing.  I recently exchanged an attempt at interview with someone claiming to be a representative of one of the worlds leading communicatuions companies.  They had stolen logos and everything.  When challenged to provide credentials I heard crickets, thats all I am still hearing.  These scams will take down the site, I cannot be bothered with un-authenticated job postings.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 10

Hi Richard,

I've checked your proposals but it looks like the conversation you mentioned took place off Upwork. Please take a screenshot of your conversation and submit it directly to Customer Support, so our team could investigate and take action.

Thank you.

Untitled
cutsh
8 of 10

If you look at the invitation to an interview theres a link to a third party site to download Google Hangouts.  There's no reason for this, first red flag.  I will scrape out my discussion from Google Hangouts (I DID NOT download anything from the linked site).  Also note that there is no contact information that is linked to anything that has to do with ** Group, which is a huge company out of India.  They have no locations in St. Charles Indiana that I can find.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 10

Hi Richard,

I checked and it looks like actions have already been taken against the account in question and the job posting was closed. You'll see that your proposal for that job has been moved to archived folder. So you don't need to follow up with customer support further. 

Thank you for reporting.

~ Valeria
Upwork
cutsh
10 of 10

Also, when I use the directly to customer support link I just get a page where I would need to open a case.  Got to assume thats done, let me know the case ID.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS