Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing/Scamming

Highlighted
Zamfir M Member Since: May 22, 2017
1 of 5

Good day,

Recently I was invited to couple of interviews via Skype. My suspicions started to rise once the clients were asking me to sign an NDA form, which would be totally okay, until they were begging me to send them a copy of my ID card, passport and a picture of my phone bills. I'm not an expert on this, but it doesn't sound right at all.

**Edited for Community Guidelines **

Highlighted
Tarric S Member Since: May 22, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Good day,

Absolutley not. Do not give away information like that. If a person was to employ you, the most they should need is for a few forms to be filled out along with a tax document such as a W9. Be very mindful of scams and trust your gut. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 5

Zamfir, "when in doubt---don't!"  Also, Community Manager Lena's post regarding Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs should further assist you in the future.  Here's the link:  https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/m-p/240833#U240833

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 5

Thanks Zamfir for sharing this information. If you haven't already please flag the job post. We will also escalate the info you provided to the team. Due to our Community Guidelines, we cannot post info about the client here so your post will be edited.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

re: " until they were begging me to send them a copy of my ID card, passport and a picture of my phone bills. I'm not an expert on this, but it doesn't sound right at all."

Of course it doesn't sound right.

It sounds like these people are identity thieves or scammers.

Never provide that kind of information to Upwork clients. But if you think they are legitimate clients, tell them:

"Yes. I will get you what you need. If you go ahead and use the hire button to send an official Upwork contract, you can go ahead and contact Upwork for all of this information and any identity confirmation that you want."

If the client is a legitimate client, then if they contact Upwork, they will be educated with regards to what kinds of information they actually need and how Upwork actually works.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS