🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Phone conversation with a client
Page options
markzolotoy
Community Member

Phone conversation with a client

I have placed a proposal for a client who wants to have a lengthy phone conversation prior to hiring. He  has reached me asking for that conversation. He is saying he will be covering my time. I was just wondering how exactly that is working without a contract? I simply want to do everything by the book. Please advise.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tell the client you're happy to talk ON UPWORK. If the client wants to pay you for that conversation, the client can HIRE you for the conversation. 

Then the client can talk to you on the phone as well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Mark G wrote:

I have placed a proposal for a client who wants to have a lengthy phone conversation prior to hiring.

You are not allowed to have any phone conversation (using a telephone) with the client prior to being hired, only calls via Upwork, and the client can't "cover your time" anyway without a contract.

Okay, what is the solution then? I understand that he might have very specific requirements and wants to have a discussion first. 

Tell the client you're happy to talk ON UPWORK. If the client wants to pay you for that conversation, the client can HIRE you for the conversation. 

Then the client can talk to you on the phone as well.

But whether I want to talk to him with or without hiring for conversation first is up to me, right?

Mark G wrote:

But whether I want to talk to him with or without hiring for conversation first is up to me, right?

Of course it is

Hi Mark,

If you would like to learn more about our Video and Voice messages check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

So, all three types of call are allowed prior hiring?

Hi Mark,

Yes that is correct. The type of calls listed in the guide I've shared with you are all through Upwork. Once you're hired on an official contract you and your client can communicate outside of Upwork as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Mark G wrote:

So, all three types of call are allowed prior hiring?

Telephone calls outside Upwork are not allowed. Only Upwork call or Upwork-Zoom call or diling into an Upwork call. You are not allowed to communicte with a client in ANY way outside the platform prior to being hired.

Yes, I get it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members