Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 14

Michele H wrote:
I am new to Upwork and so far I am a bit turned off. I have sent out countless proposals and the only responses I have received are from three people asking for my phone number to text. Then email address so they could send more job description info. and then the last one wanted to negotiate money off of Upwork “supposedly”. So far this all seems very sketchy to me as I’ve spent close to $30 in a “membership” and connects? Love some feedback.....

Unfortunately, as a US based new freelancer you will be targeted by scammers who (basically) want to send you fake checks to entice you to send them real money.

They only do that while you're new, so as soon as you have a few proper jobs under your belt they'll leave you alone.

This is an incredibly competitive marketplace. There is very good money to be made, but it isn't so easy to get started and gain traction.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
12 of 14

@Jennifer M wrote:

The only annoying thing I find about giving customers my info is that sometimes they put me on their spam email list. -_-

Get thee to a disposable email address.  I've never had an Upwork-related email fall into the hands of spammers, and if it ever does I'll know who it was that sold me out so I can cut them off completely.  It's so effective that I haven't even bothered to do spam filtering for over a decade.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 14

Darrin O wrote:

Get thee to a disposable email address.  I've never had an Upwork-related email fall into the hands of spammers, and if it ever does I'll know who it was that sold me out so I can cut them off completely.  It's so effective that I haven't even bothered to do spam filtering for over a decade.

Well, I say spam because I didn't sign up for their newsletters and updates about their products. -_-

I understand why it happens when they give me a demo account or something like that, but sometimes I get on their list just from emailing with them back and forth. That means they put me there and that annoys me. Most of my customers are devs selling to other devs, so I'm their target audience. I sometimes wonder if they realize that I know they put me on a list without asking first, so I know their list isn't opt-in.

I unsubscribe and if they don't honor the unsubscribe I just bozo bin them to Gmail's spam filter.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
14 of 14

@Jennifer M wrote:

Well, I say spam because I didn't sign up for their newsletters and updates about their products. -_-

The only way that's not spam is if you're getting paid to read it.  Smiley Wink  Same is true for phone or Skype or any other sort of contact with a client.  Just because they're in the mood to chit-chat doesn't mean they can contact me whenever or however they want.  And I'm not "on call" for an emergency unless we've arranged for me to be paid my standard on call rates.

sometimes I get on their list just from emailing with them back and forth.

I can't think of any legit mechanism for that to happen.  Seems like something they'd either have to do manually, are doing automatically (badly without opt-in, as you noted), or are infected by a virus that extracts their contacts and send them to a spammer, and they just happen to be one of the customers of said spammer's list!

That's why I always use a unique email address whenever possible.  It makes it a lot easy to do a little digital forensics to figure out whose DNA is smeared on my Inbox.  Sounds like you are actually doing something like that with what Gmail offers.

If only it were so easy with phone numbers.  Short of buying burner cell phones, I don't know of a good way to get something like that.  Hmmm.  Maybe there's a business opportunity to be had in that . . .

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS