Photo of me rejected for not being me, but it is me

Hi. I received an email saying my picture hadn't been aprroved because it's not me, but it is me. I am very confused by this. c.PNG

It's me. I use it for my LinkedIn profile image also. Any ideas why they think it's someone else?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r

@Jolene N wrote:

Hi. I received an email saying my picture hadn't been aprroved because it's not me, but it is me. I am very confused by this. c.PNG

It's me. I use it for my LinkedIn profile image also. Any ideas why they think it's someone else?

Thanks!

Whether it is you or not, it's way too dark to get accepted. 

The email specifically states the pic is not me. It doesn't say anything about it being dark.

try this lightened one anyway....

Jolene_pp.png

Okay. I lightened it and resubmitted. Let's see if that works. Thank you.

novikovma

Congrats! You are too pretty to be seen as real!

Lol. Thanks. I wish that was it. 🙂

here is mine. you look great!

original.jpg

James' is better than mine, use that!

re: "The email specifically states the pic is not me. It doesn't say anything about it being dark."

Jolene:

Notes like that represent the best efforts of overworked programmers to create an easy-to-use interface for customer support workers to use, and then they represent the best efforts of those customer support workers to use that interface. And sometimes notes are just a result of automated algorithms

Don't take every note from Upwork literally. It is unlikely that the note was written specifically for your sake.

ALSO:

Note that if you have a photograph of YOURSELF, but that photograph has already been used on other websites, such as your LinkedIn site or Facebook, etc., then it is possible for a Upwork worker or automated algorithm to do an image search, find your photograph, and then reject the photograph for not being you.

Google image searches that link to LinkedIn are notorious for giving false readings, because they can cause your photo to show up on pages titled with somebody else's name. Due to no fault of your own, but due to how LinkedIn pages are constructed.

So the SAFEST thing to do when creating a new Upwork profile is to provide a new photo which has never been posted online before.

That makes sense. I write under a penname, and on that site I have the same pic but a different name. But that's because I also write under my own name and didn't want the two profiles to get confused. So, maybe that is what the issue is. I'll change it on the writing site to a diffrent pic. I tried doing video chat with the link they sent in my email, but it doens't work. 

Hi Jolene, 

I apologise for the inconvenience. Someone from the team will reach out to you to sort out the video-chat verification link. 

~ Avery
Upwork