🐈 Community
m_roganovic

Physical jobs?

Hi, 

I don't know this for sure, but some of the jobs posted seem like physical jobs, rather than virtual. For example, sometimes there is "travel involved", or a specific location or errands given. Again, I don't apply for these, so I don't know for sure. 

But, is that allowed?

Thanks, 

M

6 REPLIES 6
firescue17

I would be cautious of any contract which indicates "errands." Often, the "errand" is cashing bogus checks in your personal bank account.

Unless you are contracting to be a personal gopher, I can't imagine any client referring to a business oriented task as an "errand."

With that said, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I have traveled locally in my home city for more than one client. Part of the reason I get hired is to represent the client at meetings which are not cost efficient for the Client to attend to in person.

I almost got to travel to the Philippines for another contract but the project changed direction. /sadface. Either way, it was a legit contract and I was paid legit money.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marina,

Thanks for raising this question. Upwork doesn't support jobs that require freelancers to go to a physical location in order to do the task or their presence in a physical location/office. Please report jobs that include this requirement and our team will review them to check if they are violating our ToS.

Untitled

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Marina,

Thanks for raising this question. Upwork doesn't support jobs that require freelancers to go to a physical location in order to do the task or their presence in a physical location/office. Please report jobs that include this requirement and our team will review them to check if they are violating our ToS.

That's absurd. Guess I better stop going to the post office and FedEx. I'll probably have to stop selling insurance and real estate, also. Licensing requires submitting fingerprints to state Departments of Insurance and the Real Estate Commission. None of which can be done by remote control. I suppose when the client flies into town I'll leave them at the airport and make them walk.

"Upwork doesn't support jobs that require freelancers to go to a physical location in order to do the task"

So that means I can no longer do library research 😞

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steven and Kim,

Please note that I've shared a general guideline which shouldn't be taken literally. Certain on-location activities are not allowed to be advertised on Upwork. That's why I made it clear our team needs to review each case separately and confirm it's in line with our ToS.

Untitled
mariawicz5

Smh, y'all knew what Vlad meant.

Learning Paths