🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Pitfalls to avoid and a plea for help.
Page options
johnchristopher2
Community Member

Pitfalls to avoid and a plea for help.

Backstory:

So, I was introduced to Upwork back in 2013. I was fortunate enough to have been invited by an employer, so my first and only upwork job was steady. It was an awesome job too, I got to make angry customers happy. In total I kept this job for 5 months (952 hours).

I had to leave though, it was a matter of principle. Why'd I leave? At some point I realized that in this case "The customer really is always right". Let's just say there where some legal, but not really kosher marketing practices going on. I did what I could and turned as many frowns into smiles as I could. I was even mining our databases to find more customers. So both my employer and my customers where happy.

Anyway, enough of the sob story, at some point a caller shamed me and I had to face reality.

So I decided to leave, but guess what, seldom do people hire anyone without a proven track-record. Those 952 hours never helped my account, because the employer never closed the contract.

Trying to scramble for a job in 2013 I definetely made some mistakes. So, here are the promised pitfalls to avoid:

- keep improving your profile (certifications, portfolio, detailed achievements & new skills)

- don't put off the upwork readiness test, I did and I made the same mistakes I made in 2013 in 2020

- You don't have skype, just keep all contract communication in upwork. If the employer wants to call you they can do that through upwork's messaging server.

- Even if you really want to leave an employer try to find the next one first, and then give your current one ample time.

- Don't even think about the 20% fee, just try to get a better job if you have to. Think of it this way, it probably takes millions to run upwork .

- And whatever you do, try to stay on the good side of people on this platform. 

- I'm sure there are many pitfalls related to assignments, but you probably wouldn't have chosen freelancing if you didn't believe in your skills.

The title says there is a plea so here it is.

Does anyone have 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kinector
Community Member

Good tips, John.

I would only add that it is safer to test every client with a small project before going for a long-term engagement. Saves a lot of hassle in the long run and in the short run you can try to stretch and cover your behind to close a contract honorably, but then skip signing any long-term deal.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kinector
Community Member

Good tips, John.

I would only add that it is safer to test every client with a small project before going for a long-term engagement. Saves a lot of hassle in the long run and in the short run you can try to stretch and cover your behind to close a contract honorably, but then skip signing any long-term deal.

That's actually a really good idea, thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members