🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Pl. Respond Concerned about payment
Page options
fab73c91
Community Member

Pl. Respond Concerned about payment

I got my first project 15 days back and the have completed about 75% of the work. The contract details states budget of the project $1250 (as discussed with the client) but the contract details also stated that the money in escrow is only $10.

I looked up the clients upwork profile. They have been on the platform almost 4 years, have a verified payment method and a rating of 4+

But this escrow amount has got me all worried.. what should i do? am i worried for no reason here 

8 REPLIES 8
LuiggiR

Hi Rajat,

The project's budget is what the client has set it might cost them to complete it, though it doesn't mean that's necessarily the amount that you'll receive. What's on escrow is what they've funded, and that's the amount you'll receive once you submit and they approve the completed milestone for the project in question. You may want to check this help article to learn more. In addition, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
aitringo
Community Member

As I always advise, it's all about psychology with clients.

Therefore, you should apply this first rule: never make the client feel that you are holding him hostage, at the risk of stopping working on any project.

In your case, you are worried about not getting paid and this eats into your mind, which is very understandable.

Now my best advice to you would be:

1. First, you jump on the opportunity of your next meeting with the client, or else you write a message to him if no meeting is scheduled.
  2. During your meeting or your written message, you start by emphasizing the fact that you are 75% of the way through the project.
  3. You send him screenshots, or pdfs, that show this. without sending him a usable version on his side. (if you have already sent your work it's ok)
  4. Then you ask him nicely: do you mind if we pay half of the payment, for what is done ?

90% of the Time he'll release the payment.

Once released, you can ask him to set up a milestone for the remaining payment, that you won't claim until he's totally delivered and 100% satisfied! (such a promise is very important)

Good luck man!

tagrendy
Community Member

You are definitely not worrying for no reason. You should stop working and have the client fund the project into Escrow.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

You should stop working until the client fully funds the project, and don't send them any of your work until they do.

fab73c91
Community Member

I got my first project 15 days back and the have completed about 75% of the work. The contract details states budget of the project $1250 (as discussed with the client) but the contract details also stated that the money in escrow is only $10.

I looked up the clients upwork profile. They have been on the platform almost 4 years, have a verified payment method and a rating of 4+

But this escrow amount has got me all worried.. what should i do? am i worried for no reason here 

data_divas
Community Member

Why did you repeat your question without adding anything more?  If you turn in the work you will only get $10, you only get what is funded. 

How many milestones did this client break up the project into?

You should only do the work that is agreed for each milestone, then when the next milestone is funded then you do that part of the project.

You did too much work against a milestone that was only funded for $10.  You should have only done $10 worth of work. Do not deliver 75% of the work until 75% of the $1250 is funded.

Please have a discussion with your client about the total amount agreed for the project and have him fund realistic milestones and not $10.

alejandrocrespo
Community Member

Never start a job without properly funded milestones. 

Pause your job until the client funds the requirement. 10$ seems like a scam.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

The best way to go about this is acting early, meaning at the point where you see how much money is in escrow, and talking to the client at that point. It is unwise to just start working, since your position only gets worse when you do. 

You could have played it naively and have said to the client: Susie, I see you only funded $10 in our $1250 contract. I will submit XYZ which roughly equals that amount, and we can take it from there!

If the client is out to scam you - and it doesn't look good - that would have started a discussion/ come to an conclusion before you start working.

Now you're not in a good position. You can't pretend you didn't see the low amount, since this is the minimum diligence required from a professional. Nothing you can say now makes you look good. 

You could sort of play naive now, and say: Susie, I'm finished with about 75% of the task, and I see you only funded $10. How do you suggest we go about this? I think you need to add another milestone to reflect my work, how about $xxx?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members