cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plagiarism. Who has had to deal with an author like this?

blazewriter
Community Leader
Judi B Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
1 of 5

In all of my 36 years of editing books, working in the media, and helping with ghost writing, I have never run across this. I am working for a person who plagerized most of her book. I sent it back for her to add footnotes or rewrite it and told her I would go over it again once she fixed these things. Now, here it is two weeks later and I get it back...no almost the whole thing is plagerized...it disgusts me as a journalist. It was very easy to check since most of the few things this person wrote were horrible, then all of a sudden it becomes perfect.

Anyhow, what would you do? 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 5

I would stop working and report the client for fraud.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 5

lol I had a writer when I worked with Udemy tell me she was sorry for her article being plagiarized and that she should have "used several different sources" and that it wasn't plagiarized because it passed copyscape. @@

Did she write it or outsource it for $50?

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 5

I had a client who did that. These "authors" just went through various websites and copypasted various website pages and claimed they had written a book. It was really obvious because the writing styles were so different.

I sent the book back and told them that a lot of it was just stolen from other websites and this was not allowed. They claimed they had permission from all the website owners to use the material but I have my suspicions that this isn't true.

The real strange thing is that they were talking about this book making them famous and planning on giving interviews to TV stations about the book. I can't wait until someone pops up accusing them of stealing their material.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 5

Hi Judi, 

May I request that you please send screen grabs of your conversations with your client to our support team so that they can take appropriate actions against the client's account. 

Thank you!

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS