Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plagiarism

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 17

Janean, my opinion is that her talent is still rising, while yours is already on the top 🙂

Other than that I have no idea why you don't have this badge or a JSS badge. There must be some criteria in play here, but whatever they are, something in the way the system is conceived is flawed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
12 of 17

Aw, shucks, Rene -- thanks!

I can certainly live without Upwork's crumbs of approval. But I really don't understand the Byzantine "Rising Talent" designation system. It is opaque, to say the very least. There is an explanation that supposedly covers the requirements, but the "explanation" is a bit murky. And there is no affirmative application process. As far as I can figure it all out, one waits breathlessly, waits like a spring debutante, all a-flutter, hoping to be plucked from the crowd by some sort of algorithmical magic... selected as (wait for it! wait for it!) "Rising Talent." O, be still my beating heart! (Or, better yet, one is chosen to have the coveted "JSS" bestowed.) I am a "Rising Talent" wallflower at Upwork's coming-out ball. Yeah, well, I'll live. I'm paying the bills. Yet, I see other freelancers who are designated as "Rising Talent," and, y'know, if the Chosen Ones happen to share my own field of expertise, I cannot help but compare my credentials to theirs. And I sometimes just shake my head in a rather befuddled way and mutter: "Really? I mean... Are ya kiddin' me?"

As one of my daughters likes to say:  "Whatevsies."

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 17
You could write how to cleanse your colon in 15 steps for $6 and pull a one up.
reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
14 of 17

Writing about colon cleansing without plagiarizing existing work should not be a problem, but clients sometimes take the Copyscape thing to ridiculous lengths.

I write a lot of astronomy related articles, and one (past) client in particular used to have a big issue with common astronomical phrases, words, and terms. For instance, I could not ever say that the Sun is a third generation star, or that Jupiter's magnetic field is 50 000 times as strong as Earth's.

These facts can never change, but Copyscape ruled supreme in this client's world, no matter how many times I explained to him that the strength of a magnetic field will not change just because Copyscape keeps on flagging "magnetic field" and "50 000 times". There are many other examples, but the point is that common terms in any field will always return red flags. Is this plagiarism, or abuse by a client? 

Needless to say, I dumped this client when he rejected an article on the grounds that I had plagiarized an article on NASA's official site. According to him, I should have realized that I could not copy the dates on which the Moon would be full in a particular year. Really?

Did  he expect the dates to change because Copyscape would find about a gazillion other sources listing the same dates? Copyscape may have its uses in some circumstances, but for technical writing in which words, phrases, or terminology can never change, it is beyond a joke.  

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

Reiner,

these are excellent firsthand examples from your own experiences. Thank you for sharing this.

That is a good example of how this Copyscape mentality can be present in either contractors or writers.

If they're not both on the same page with this, then it will probably not be a good match.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 17

Reiner, as a scientific writer you are probably familiar with the infinite expansion and the multiverse theories. According to those sets of theories, our universe may be one in an infinite number of others, each of them having its own laws of physics and its constants tuned differently.

Keep those clients, but just write articles about any other universes. Since there should be an infinite number of them, the likelihood of a Copyscape match with a parallel universe should be negligible.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
17 of 17

@Reinier B wrote:

Writing about colon cleansing without plagiarizing existing work should not be a problem... 

...unless you happen to be informed enough to know that colon cleansing is a ridiculously popular, potentially harmful fad with no proven benefit. That, if you happen to be a legitimate health writer, is a problem.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS