Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plagiarism

charlesmartinjr
Ace Contributor
Charles M Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 16

Hello,

I have been editing a book for a gentleman, and I discovered yesterday that he has plagiarized numerous passages and sentences.  So far, I have discovered five different websites that he has taken from, including multiple pages from History.com.  I have corresponded with him, and he says, and I quote:  "Everything in the draft is my own writing.  Well, all the historical references are taken reference [sic] from various history books or Wikipedia."

I pressed him on it, asking if he was certain he did not copy from History.com (he did, clearly).  He responded, "Nothing is copy paste in the book.  Yes.  History books and online sources like wikipedia was read to study history.  I plan to mention Wikipedia as a reference anyway."

Now, I had completed one milestone and gotten paid for it; it was during the second milestone edit that I began to notice suspicious things in his writing and, decided to try typing his sentences into a search platform.  As I said, there are five places, so far, that I have found from which he has copied word for word entire sentences, paragraphs, and even pages.  My question becomes, how do I report this?  I have gone through Upwork, and the best I can find is to report a client for fraud.  Is that sufficient, or do I need to go through a different channel?

Thanks in advance for advice!

Charles

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
2 of 16

@Charles M wrote:

Hello,

I have been editing a book for a gentleman, and I discovered yesterday that he has plagiarized numerous passages and sentences.  So far, I have discovered five different websites that he has taken from, including multiple pages from History.com.  I have corresponded with him, and he says, and I quote:  "Everything in the draft is my own writing.  Well, all the historical references are taken reference [sic] from various history books or Wikipedia."

I pressed him on it, asking if he was certain he did not copy from History.com (he did, clearly).  He responded, "Nothing is copy paste in the book.  Yes.  History books and online sources like wikipedia was read to study history.  I plan to mention Wikipedia as a reference anyway."

Now, I had completed one milestone and gotten paid for it; it was during the second milestone edit that I began to notice suspicious things in his writing and, decided to try typing his sentences into a search platform.  As I said, there are five places, so far, that I have found from which he has copied word for word entire sentences, paragraphs, and even pages.  My question becomes, how do I report this?  I have gone through Upwork, and the best I can find is to report a client for fraud.  Is that sufficient, or do I need to go through a different channel?

Thanks in advance for advice!

Charles

The only advice I can offer comes in the form of this question- Do you really want to be associated with this project any longer?

If this happend to me, I would cancel the contract, and cite the noted plagiarism as the reason.

charlesmartinjr
Ace Contributor
3 of 16

Thank you for your prompt response!  I am definitely not working on this anymore.  I just wanted to know what steps to take to report him.  As a published author myself, I don't mind when people use my material, but I do mind when they pass it off as their own and then lie about it.  I figured I owe it to the handful of authors who actually put the work into writing what he is claiming is his own.

reinierb
Community Guru
4 of 16

You can report the client to Upwork, but it is likely that nothing will come of it, since I don't suppose there is anything overtly wrong with the job posting itself. However, if you cancelled the contract, it is likely that the client will leave you a poor private feedback, regardless of whether you refunded any money. If this happens, the only thing you can do is to leave accurate feedback in return to warn other people.

I have not checked, but if you are top rated, you can use your perk to have the negative feedback removed, or to have the negative effects of the poor private feedback excluded from your JSS

charlesmartinjr
Ace Contributor
5 of 16

I am still relatively new (May of this year), and am not Top Rated.  My question, however, was how do I best go about reporting this?  I looked through the site, and the closest thing I could find was reporting a client for fraud. 

reinierb
Community Guru
6 of 16

You could try reporting him  for fraud but as I said before, it is unlikely that anything will come of it. Perhaps a moderator could weigh in at this point to explain all your available options, but my opinion is this- just close the contract, leave suitable feedback, and move on to something else. You could end up spending time on this that you could have used more productively by doing work that pays.

If you want, I could flag your latest post to get a moderator's attention.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 16

Hi Charles,

We can review and take proper actions towards the client. Can you send me a PM with the job posting link, and as much details as you have at the moment so that we can start an investigation from our side.

Thank you Reinier.

~ Goran
Upwork
charlesmartinjr
Ace Contributor
8 of 16

Thank you, Goran!  I sent you a PM.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 16

Charles, I'm going to suggest you increase your hourly rate if you want to be taken as a serious contender by potential clients.

See this link for guidelines for professional rates: http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
10 of 16

@Wendy C wrote:

Charles, I'm going to suggest you increase your hourly rate if you want to be taken as a serious contender by potential clients.

See this link for guidelines for professional rates: http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php

Ditto to what Wendy stated. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS