Ace Contributor
Charles M Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
11 of 16

Thank you for your advice!

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
12 of 16

I would direcy report him to the publisher/author from whom he took those sentences. Reinier is correct. Upwork won't go after him, because it simply isn't their job. 

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 16

re: "Upwork won't go after him, because it simply isn't their job."

I agree 100%.

Upwork can not police every action by every client.

Upwork provides a way to connect clients with freelancers. It provides a way for clients to pay freelancers for their work.

What happens beyond that must be managed primarily by the clients and freelancers themselves.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 16

@Vesna M wrote:

I would direcy report him to the publisher/author from whom he took those sentences. Reinier is correct. Upwork won't go after him, because it simply isn't their job. 

I'm unsure about the legality of this, given the NDA included in the Upwork contract. OP has no knowledge of this plagiarism that didn't stem from his contract with the client. 

In fact, since the book hasn't been published and the client hasn't yet claimed the work--the book is still in progress--there's a good argument that plagiarism hasn't yet occurred. 

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
15 of 16

You are correct. He might change his mind at any point and add all references properly. 

Charles M Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
16 of 16

Wow, you all have been busy.  Thank you all for the advice.  I am sorry for the confusion, but I am not looking to go after the guy and tear his life apart, or anything of that nature.  No, since it hasn't been published, there is no legal issue, as of yet.  I'm also not worried about my involvement, as I have kept records of all of our correspondences - including those in which I urged him to stop passing off others' work as his own - as well as cancelling the contract and refunding him the money he paid for the first story.  As far as waiting for him to cite . . . I would not hold my breath, as these passages were all given as dialogue to characters in his fictional stories. 

However, my goal was to uge him to remove these passages before seeking publication, and hopefully he has done that.  I sent a very strongly-worded message to him advising him of this, and about two hours later, I noticed his job reappeared in my job feed.  Hopefully, in those intervening hours, he removed the dozen or so passages before reposting.  If that's what happened, then great.  If not, then hopefully whoever works with him next will catch those passages, as I did.  

In any event, thank you all, again!  You were very helpful!

Charles 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS