🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Please Help Me Find The Right Solution for Ho...
Page options
amanpreetsngh
Community Member

Please Help Me Find The Right Solution for Hourly Based Contract

I have a client and they wants to award me the project on hourly basis total hours lets say 5 hours. Let's suppose, the client give me 2 task in these 5 Hours and if i've worked only for 3 Hours for only one task in a current week then how can my remaining second task that is 2 Hours is allocatable in the next upcoming week by my client.

Please help me find the solution.

Thanks

Upwork

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't want to work for this client.

He is being unreasonable. He is arguing about minor differences in cost. He does not respect the meaning of an hourly contract. He is probably going to give me a bad review no matter what.

I am not going to accept this contract.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

A client can set the maximum number of hours that you may work per week.

You absolutely need to understand how this works before you agree to this.

If a client has given you specific instructions, then try to work on what the client wants you to do.

It is okay to give a client an estimate about how long a give task will take.

But always make sure you state that these are estimates. Don't promise specific times or dollar amounts. An hourly contract IS NOT A FIXED-PRICE CONTRACT.

If there is something you don't understand, you MUST ask questions, right here in this thread, until you understand how things work.

PradeepH

Hi Amanpreet,

Thank you for your message. Please note that the Hourly contract weekly limit is automatically refreshed every week on Monday at 00:00 UTC unless the client chooses to work with you for only one week. So, if you have worked for 3 hours during the first week, you can work the remaining agreed hours during the next week. Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Actually, I estimate my client about total 7-8 hours for the work(hourly based project). But client has awarded me only 5 hours. So, what's the next step by me in order to include those remaining 2-3 Hours. As of now I have not accepted their 5 Hour job offer.

Thanks

Amanpreet:

You are mixing.

You SHOULD NOT MIX.

Mixing is a bad practice and typically turns out badly for the freelancer.

I advise you to use either the hourly contract or the fixed-price contract as Upwork intends for these contract types to be used, and do not try to mix them together.

Tell the client:

"The job will take as long as it takes. I estimate that it will take 7 to 8 hours. It may take less. It may take more. I will log time while I work on your behalf. After 1 hour, if you love my work and feel that it provided you with great value, then you may allow me to continue working. And you may do the same after 2 hours. And 3 hours. Etc. A client might hire me to do a 8-hour job, and love it so much he asks me to continue working for 100 hours, doing more work. With an hourly contract, you are allowed to do that. Upwork doesn't place a limit on how many hours of work you are allowed to receive from me to help your project succeed."

petra_r
Community Member

Amanpreet S wrote:

As of now I have not accepted their 5 Hour job offer.

Decline the offer and tell the client that you won't be able to complete the work in 5 hours. Ask the client to issue a new offer with adequate number of hours, or tell the  client that with only 5 hours allocated, it will take longer to complete the work as you will not be able to complete it in one week due to the limit.

Petra, if I understand correctly, the original poster has not accepted the contract yet.

He is wondering if he SHOULD accept a 5-hour contract, even though he estimates that the work will take 7 to 8 hours.

He doesn't seem to fully understand the difference between a fixed-price and hourly contract.

Preston H wrote:

Petra, if I understand correctly, the original poster has not accepted the contract yet.

He is wondering if he SHOULD accept a 5-hour contract, even though he estimates that the work will take 7 to 8 hours.

He doesn't seem to fully understand the difference between a fixed-price and hourly contract.

Yes, I understand the difference but I estimate the client 7-8 hours but instead they offer me only the 5 hours. 

I don't want to work for this client.

He is being unreasonable. He is arguing about minor differences in cost. He does not respect the meaning of an hourly contract. He is probably going to give me a bad review no matter what.

I am not going to accept this contract.

Yes, I will

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members