🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Please Help.
Page options
erikatiansay
Community Member

Please Help.

Hello, Please help. Please Please. My client said he sent the payment already but there is no pending or in review in my account. I've completed the work, i got hired for a month and the he paid me once. It was a fixed price, when i am about to submit my work i found out the the milestones are inactive so i couldn't submit or request payment. I sent him an email and he said he sent it already here on upwork. please help help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Erika:

The correct way to work on fixed-projects is very straightforward:

If there is a fully-funded milestone, we do the work for that milestone.

Then we submit the work, and we get paid for it. If the client does NOTHING, then we get paid automatically.

If a milestone is not funded, then we don't work on it.

You said that you worked on milestones that are "inactive." if you can't submit the work or request payment, then the milestone was never funded.

This means that maybe you made a mistake by doing the work.

Upwork doesn't guarantee payment for this. The only way to get paid is if the client decides to pay you.

This is OKAY!

Many new freelancers make the same mistake.

If you have not sent the client the work, then just wait. When he funds the milestone, you can submit it.

Until then, be patient.

But because the client said he sent the payment, you need to make sure that you understand what you see when you look at Upwork -> Reports -> Overview, and you need to make sure that he didn't actually send the money to you.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

Erika:

The correct way to work on fixed-projects is very straightforward:

If there is a fully-funded milestone, we do the work for that milestone.

Then we submit the work, and we get paid for it. If the client does NOTHING, then we get paid automatically.

If a milestone is not funded, then we don't work on it.

You said that you worked on milestones that are "inactive." if you can't submit the work or request payment, then the milestone was never funded.

This means that maybe you made a mistake by doing the work.

Upwork doesn't guarantee payment for this. The only way to get paid is if the client decides to pay you.

This is OKAY!

Many new freelancers make the same mistake.

If you have not sent the client the work, then just wait. When he funds the milestone, you can submit it.

Until then, be patient.

But because the client said he sent the payment, you need to make sure that you understand what you see when you look at Upwork -> Reports -> Overview, and you need to make sure that he didn't actually send the money to you.

But is it possible that he send the payment directly to upwork wihout active milestone?

re: "But is it possible that he send the payment directly to upwork wihout active milestone?"

Erika:

Clients ALWAYS have the option to send a bonus payment to a freelancer. They can do this WITHOUT having an active milestone.

If the client sent you a bonus payment, you WILL see it in your account.

No bonus or anything, nothing! should i just wait? until it appears in my account?

tlbp
Community Member

The client may think that whatever work you are doing is included in the "once" that he paid. Without more details, it would be very difficult for any of us to discern what you and the client negotiated. 

We both agreed that he will pay me weekly. He was very unresponsive as well, and everytime i asked him about the payment he said he will work on it. what do i do now?

Erika T wrote:

We both agreed that he will pay me weekly. He was very unresponsive as well, and everytime i asked him about the payment he said he will work on it. what do i do now?

If there is no funded milestone, I would not send the work until he funds the milestone.

I would cease any additional work until you both reconfirm the nature of your agreement, what the deliverable is and what his weekly payment is.

re: "We both agreed that he will pay me weekly. He was very unresponsive as well, and everytime i asked him about the payment he said he will work on it. what do i do now?"

What should you do?

You should do NOTHING.

When you see the money in your account, then you should do something.

Until you see the money, then the client is just talk. His talk means nothing. I need to see $$$ here:

Upwork -> Reports -> Overview

i sent him a message a lot of times about the inactive milestones he said he sent it already and just need to wait till the upwork release it. 

Erika T wrote:

i sent him a message a lot of times about the inactive milestones he said he sent it already and just need to wait till the upwork release it. 

The client is either confused or not entirely honest. If there is no money in Escrow, and no sign of it anywhere on your Reports page, no such payment was made.

Erika T wrote:

-------------

You've been scamed. You aren't going to get paid. What do you do now? Perhaps you should click on the question mark on the home page, choose help and support and read the information contained in all of the links. 

I'm very disspointed! and what is the punishment for this please?

Hi Erika, 

I checked your account and can see that the client issued you a bonus payment for this contract. If you scroll down further at the bottom of this page, you will see that the client released the first milestone, and a bonus payment to you, and was credited to your account on 11-May. You may access this page by going to your My Jobs > Contracts > and clicking on Milestones & Earnings. 

If you check this page, (Reports > Overview > Available), you will see that all the payments were credited to you on the same date. You may also access your Transaction History by going to your Reports > Transaction History. It is very likely that you didn't notice these transactions getting credited to your account because you withdrew your earnings on the same date. 

Let me know if you have further questions about your transactions so that I can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

The agreement was 100$/week. I got paid once just a 100$. and then after that i got nothing. i followed up a lot times client said that i need wait until the upwork release it becasue he sent it already. what i want to know is if the upwork has it o he lied to me? and what is the penalty for this?

Erika T wrote:

The agreement was 100$/week. I got paid once just a 100$. and then after that i got nothing. i followed up a lot times client said that i need wait until the upwork release it becasue he sent it already.

Go to the actual contract on your contracts page and see what it says there for what has been paid.

Erika T wrote:

what is the penalty for this?

The penalty for working against unfunded milestones is that you don't get paid.

Milestones that were never funded can not be enforced or disputed.

Erika T wrote:

The agreement was 100$/week. I got paid once just a 100$. and then after that i got nothing. i followed up a lot times client said that i need wait until the upwork release it becasue he sent it already. what i want to know is if the upwork has it o he lied to me? and what is the penalty for this?

The penalty for the client is that you will never work with him again. The penalty for you is that you will not get paid for the other milestones.

Erika, it is really easy to be safe on upwork, and get paid, if you just adhere to the regulations upwork put into place to keep everybody safe. Read all the information available before you accept another contract.

Thank you everyone i really appreciate your help.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths