🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Please Please Please remove video and voice c...
Page options
sourceprouk
Community Member

Please Please Please remove video and voice call in the message room

New clients believe it works, they insist on booking a meeting in the chat room and then the realisation comes that it does not work. We spend 10 minutes or so trying to make it work, then we give up.

It is embarrassing especially because, .like I said, it is mostly new or potential clients I have this problem with. 

It is not the settings or the computer or anything like this because I have used 2 or 3 different computers, Skype, Google Hangouts and those online conferencing sevices. They all work fine (except for the odd line problems on Skype) but with the message room chat app, you cannot even start.

Much obliged, Thank ye kindly

12 REPLIES 12
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

It's pretty weird that upwork's video/audio tools don't work, yet they warn you whenever you type "Skype" in the message room, don't you find?

Anyway, I think I know why, despite several complaints about this matter, Upwork's video/audio tools are still in an abysmal state.

- It costs a TONNE of money to build that thing and build it well.

- Only a very small percentage of earning freelancers will ever need, or use it.

Abinadab A wrote:

It's pretty weird that upwork's video/audio tools don't work, yet they warn you whenever you type "Skype" in the message room, don't you find?

Anyway, I think I know why, despite several complaints about this matter, Upwork's video/audio tools are still in an abysmal state.

- It costs a TONNE of money to build that thing and build it well.

- Only a very small percentage of earning freelancers will ever need, or use it.

Everyone talks about what Upwork should do to me I think Upwork should start thinking about what it should not do and this is a good example of it.

Really I think they should look at everything and simplify.

wendy_writes
Community Member

Frederico, I know the tool can be iffy ... but I used it yesterday and it worked fine.  

I prefer to use it for exploratory chats; once client and I have a rapport and a contract, than Skype or something similar is fine.

charlesmartinjr
Community Member

Not to be a contrarian, but I have a client with whom I have almost weekly chats over it, and in the two years we've been having these conversations, I've only had an issue with the system three times.  

I have not once managed to make it work and will, going forward, refuse to (try to) use it.

I did (refuse to use it) for ages but thought I'd try again a few weeks ago.

It did not work (again.)

Charles M wrote:

Not to be a contrarian, but I have a client with whom I have almost weekly chats over it, and in the two years we've been having these conversations, I've only had an issue with the system three times.  

Hi,

Does this include sound and video?

Yes, it does include sound and video. 

I've been lucky 50% of the time with it. It's random, it may work, or it may not work. you never know in advance.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

People still buy lottery tickets, even though they usually don’t win.

I think the Upwork audio/video chat tool is like that.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have used the tool successfully during the past few months with a couple of actual clients.

Rene K wrote:

I've been lucky 50% of the time with it. It's random, it may work, or it may not work. you never know in advance.

That is not good enough in business, is it?

f0d6aa6b
Community Member

From my experience it works well in chrome but definitetly not in safari!

Manilal B wrote:

From my experience it works well in chrome but definitetly not in safari!

I have tried it on Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Chrome. It has failed on all of them.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members