🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Please, Review My Profile
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400
stencil_media
Community Member

It's pretty good, but it feels a bit more of an overview of your life and who you are, rather than a call to action for any potential clients. As it stands, your current overview would be more suited to a standard resume, a Linkedin profile or a slightly technical-biased dating profile. 

It should be a bit more an advert in my opinion, without going too over the top. This example is too over the top, but it gives you an idea of what I'm saying...

"Hey there! Welcome to my profile, come on in, we've been expecting you. Do you have a website? You do?! I knew you did. Only really cool and special people have websites and I could tell from the cut of your jib that you are a cool and special person. You're obviously a clever guy, so I'm sure I don't need to tell you that websites need traffic to be successful. How is your traffic? Pretty good? Could be better? Well I can tell that for a person of such impressive stature as yourself, pretty good and could be better just doesn't cut it. You strive for great traffic and nothing less will do.

That's where I come in. After spending several decades with the elusive SEO monks of northern Tibet, I have the power to take your wonderful and impressive website to a new plane of reality. Using ancient techniques shrouded by the mists of time themselves, your competitors will be left in the dust of your wake, as your site rapidly speeds up the rankings of Google. People will gaze in awe at your site, you'll probably have to invest in your own servers to handle all the people queueing up to get in,  and people will sing songs and tell tales of you and your achievements. 

You've probably heard of dog whisperers and horse whisperers? Well I am a website whisperer, a Google whisperer. I will take your site in my loving embrace and massage it to perfection using the finest SEO oils and aromas. Don't even think of hiring anybody else, they are the pure embodiment of evil. I am good, I am pure, and I am the light at the end of the tunnel. We will walk together into a bright new future that you had never though possible. Untold riches will await you in this brave new world of action and adventure. It's who i am... it's what I do.

I await your invitation to interview." 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

"... This example is too over the top, but it gives you an idea of what I'm saying..."

Scott E - Oh yes - 'over the top' is befitting of your example Smiley LOL

Just curious - Have you come across something like this on Upwork or is it a product of your imagination? I can't imagine a client sitting behind a desk to try and identify someone for serious business and ending up feeling like he/she is in a movie theatre! Smiley Very Happy

I find it's always best to over-exaggerate examples, to make sure the point is well and truly delivered! I'd advise making one's profile only about 10 to 20% as 'cinematic' as that example. 

Dear ,
how i can decorate my upwork profile ?

Thanks for the review Scott!
Also made my day 😄
I will think about something a little bit more salesy

Oh, good one Scott. Smiley Very Happy

Good stuff here. Thank you Scott

Hello everyone,

I have recently started working here, and the question is: how am I suposed to get hired more often? I propose jobs, spend my connections, and I had just one client. I know that my profile should be well ranked so someone hire me, but I need to gain experience and reviews somehow.

Thanks

m_njari
Community Member

Personally, if I were a client, I'd say I'm getting the most important information from your profile without straining.

And if you joined Upwork in June (that's how far back your work history is showing) that means you've earned the $100k within 3 - 4 months. I wouldn't call that bad for a newbie. I think soon you'll be turning clients down.

All the best!

Mercy, I think he said he earned $1000 so far... Not $1000k (i.e., $100,000).

I am pretty sure if he earned $100,000 in his first three months on Upwork he would not be here asking for our help to improve his profile. 🙂

"... Mercy, I think he said he earned $1000 so far... Not $1000k (i.e., $100,000)..."

Thanks Preston for that correction - sorry about that.

Just as in mother-tongue interference in language, this was a case of 'mother-currency interference'. What the OP earned in those few months - $1000 - would equal 100,000 of my local currency (still good for someone starting off).

@Preston H wrote:

Mercy, I think he said he earned $1000 so far... Not $1000k (i.e., $100,000).

I am pretty sure if he earned $100,000 in his first three months on Upwork he would not be here asking for our help to improve his profile. 🙂

I read it to mean he broke the $1000 for the week barrier, having earned $ 1000 in that week.

Interesting how three people read a sentence and read it completely differently.

That said, I have not checked, and am still caffeine deprived.

Chances are Preston interpreted it correctly.

ed8f0bda
Community Member

Good day I have no ideal regarding this but I'm trying community workshop. I'm first time online application This website. Im working middle east hardworking on IT Telecom and operations and maintenance my tasks. I hope give me Support. I very worry because I first started this up work website. Thank you for your appreciate. Keep Safe Always God Bless 🙏🙏🙏. Take care.

Hi Nilo,

Could you please clarify if you would like to hire a freelancer for a project or work as a freelancer? To learn more about Upwork and how it works, click here.

If something is confusing, please share more details here so that I can guide you accordingly. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Preston H ,look like you are Boss here .. not getting any invitation or any project .. any suggestion for improvement.

Just wondering 🙂 it a WOW right and I'm still stuck in it. how how

"I'd say I'm getting the most important information from your profile without straining."

You're absolutely right Mercy, I agree. But if you've posted a job for SEO action and there's 50 other profiles that also give you the most important information without straining, then it's always best to get into 'sales mode' to a certain extent. After all, if anyone is selling a service that promotes something, then they should reflect that in their ability to promote themselves. Sure, he's not a script-writer for TV commercials, but I guess SEO is a form of promotion. 

'This a chilled fruit-based drink' should be all the info you need when deciding on a drink, but 'this is a delicious, natural, ice-cold fruit drink that can quench the most powerful of thirsts. Made from 100% fruit juice, organically grown in the heart of the Amazon using responsible farming techniques, this drink isn't just a drink... it's a lifestyle choice. It's a status symbol. People will turn their heads in admiration as you enjoy the overwhelming liquid satisfaction infusion.' is more likely to make sure you choose the latter rather than the former. 

Scott....thank you. You just made my day.

"... 'This a chilled fruit-based drink' should be all the info you need when deciding on a drink, but 'this is a delicious, natural, ice-cold fruit drink that can quench the most powerful of thirsts. Made from 100% fruit juice, organically grown in the heart of the Amazon using responsible farming techniques, this drink isn't just a drink... it's a lifestyle choice. It's a status symbol. People will turn their heads in admiration as you enjoy the overwhelming liquid satisfaction infusion.' is more likely to make sure you choose the latter rather than the former".

In total agreement, Scott... Thanks. I hope the OP takes note of that after laughing off the hyperboles of your earlier post.

Hello,

I have recently started working here, and the question is: how am I supposed to get hired more often? I propose jobs, spend my connections, and I had just one client. I know that my profile should be well ranked so someone hire me, but I need to gain experience and reviews somehow.

Thanks

wmorrison
Community Member

"Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!"

I like that you made a thousand dollars.

I don't like that you didn't make two or three thousand.

What would I change? That first digit. I'd suggest going with a five or a six.

Well at least he doesn't have the lame, fraud junk "article submissions" and "directory links" that most of the fraud SEOs around here have. It's not only useless, it's damaging.

gerrit90
Community Member

Fun thing is, that a lot of clients are even actively searching for that.

At least two times per day when I read my job feed I think: head -> table

When a client wants 15 backlings per week for 10 hours workload, well, the results will be most probably damaging. If not immediately, then definetly with the next google update.

I have the feeling, most SEOs on Upwork that get hired do only the least amount of effort to get pages ranked. Because that has the best money for results ratio. But that is not sustainable SEO. 

That is one reason, why I am trying to move more into SEM. 
Results there are mostly short term anyway and they are easy and clear to measure. 

lysis10
Community Member

"At least two times per day when I read my job feed I think: head -> table"

Amen, brother. Same here. I'm very verrrry picky about the SEO stuff I do here. I have seen the results of what these SEO guru wankers do.

I had one customer (not a customer now and long gone) who hired two "white hat backlinkers" in India. Both of these people had access to each other's reports. The reason the guy contacted me was because the one Indian was accusing the other of blackhat. On top of that, his customers were getting maybe 5 visitors a day. I have small-time bloggers with no visibility getting more than that. I had to tell the guy that both of them were doing the same thing and both were just creating spam.

I tried to tell him what he needed to do, which was basically fire them both and do real marketing, but he said it was too expensive to go my route. We parted ways. Oh well.

And, most of the sites posted on Upwork are junk too, so it goes both ways. The SEO section is lucrative but lots and lots of horrible in there. One reason I like to stick to writing. Much much less stress.

sysy
Community Member

Hi Jennifer M,

I'm a bit of ashamed but could you give me some advise on my profile? I am very disappointed with myself for not being hired in UpWork since I became a member. 

Looking forward to hear from you.

"... What would I change? That first digit. I'd suggest going with a five or a six".

Smiley Very Happy William, I think what the OP wants from you is the magic of altering that 1st digit...

imranislamjisan
Community Member

HI, i am new here. i complete my peofile 100%. But i cant not biding any job. its show this type messege,

Your profile requires changes

We've hidden your profile because it does not meet the following Upwork guidelines. You will not be able to submit proposals until these issues are fixed. Check these support messages for more details.

Please edit your profile and then resubmit for review

but i edited too many times. 

Hi Piyausmahmud,

I understand that you are eager to start bidding for jobs on Upwork. However, there are still a few things that you need to improve in your profile in order to get your profile accepted and ready to be presented to potential clients. Please, make sure you capitalize letters where appropriate in your name, title, location and overview. Use full sentences and avoid using too many abbreviations and bullet points. I would also recommend hiding those below average test scores until you are able to re-take the tests.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hey guys,  I am on here on Upwork for a year now, and it still there is a lot of time to get a little bit momentum. I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.  Could you guys give me a short review of my profile? What do you like? What would you change?  I would appreciate any Feedback!

Well, I thought the thread was about Gerrit but hey, you are here, piyausmahmud j.

In addition to what Valerie has mentioned, I feel you need to remove that opening of 'Hello! Dear respective client'. In fact, stop thanking people for viewing your profile - it won't influence their perception of you. Rather, what they think of you will be influenced by the skills you write down there.

Speaking of skills, you need to be clear and more specific. What do you, for example, do in 'revision for your business'? Or even 'time maintenance'...? Do you help in 'time maintenance' by beating deadlines; by guiding the business owner on how to organize tasks... how?

You need to consider also that some people reading your profile are not necessarily experts in your field. So, whatever a citation expert does, break it down into simple skills. You will be helping that person to make a quick decision to try your services.                          

@piyausmahmud j wrote:

HI, i am new here. i complete my peofile 100%. But i cant not biding any job. its show this type messege,

Your profile requires changes

We've hidden your profile because it does not meet the following Upwork guidelines. You will not be able to submit proposals until these issues are fixed. Check these support messages for more details.

Please edit your profile and then resubmit for review

but i edited too many times. 

I remember when I couldn't get my profile up to Upwork's standards. Frustrated the help outta me! I don't know how long it took, but I gave up after a while and then went back to it after i got some very disturbing job offers from another Freelancers site. (not naming names of course) . Once I got it to their liking, I was in like Flint!!!

Just do the things they tell you and soon enough you'll be bidding your little heart out.  

lucky_4some1
Community Member

hey, can you help me to resolve that my profile is not approved still , i  am unable to submit a purposal to any one , please see my profile and tell me what to do , i have given test too 🙂

Unfortunately, your profile can't be approved the way it is currently, Wajahat. Please, make sure you capitalize words where appropriate and make sure to correct spelling and grammar errors. Also, please expand your profile overview with more information about your skills and past experience.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

@wajahat a wrote:

hey, can you help me to resolve that my profile is not approved still , i  am unable to submit a purposal to any one , please see my profile and tell me what to do , i have given test too 🙂

You've got some red flags. First, you haven't graduated college yet and say you are a certified accountant. I don't know if  chartered means something that says "close", but this was the first thing I noticed. Then, you failed both accounting tests but say you were a senior auditor again without graduating.

Doesn't pass the smell test.

Wajahat:

Don't forget to change your photo, too, while you are working on your profile.

Your current photo sends a message to clients that says you are not serious about working on Upwork.

I am so glad I have nominated Preston as my official profile pic fashion police. We need more professional shirts in this place.

ahmed-arous
Community Member

i have a broblem 

why my accunt been suspended

Hi Arous,

Your account has been temporarily limited since it doesn't meet the standards of the marketplace. Please, revise your overview and title to make sure they don't contain grammar and spelling errors. Make sure you add more information about your skills and experience. I would also suggest you update your profile picture.

~ Valeria
Upwork
monir106481
Community Member

why my profile shown following this?   

"Your profile requires changes

Please edit your profile and then resubmit for review"

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths