🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Please advise me: should I close the inactive...
Page options
philomenaaah
Community Member

Please advise me: should I close the inactive contracts or not?

I have two inactive contracts for months now and despite the fact that I asked my clients to close them several times I didn't receive any answer.

Besides that, I have another open contract and my client doesn't want to close it as well. It was a non pleasant experience (exploitation and bad faith) and he has already a very bad review at their profile, reason why I believe that he just want to leave it there to not get any other bad review. But unfortunately if I cannot write about it future freelancers will be trapted at similar situations with that client.

I'm not ending these contracts myself because I'm a Top Rated seller and I already have 3 contracts with no feedback given because of the same reason: most of my clients never end the contracts - and I don't want to hurt my score. Can you please advise me about this? What should I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Filomena S wrote:  It was a non pleasant experience (exploitation and bad faith) and he has already a very bad review at their profile, reason why I believe that he just want to leave it there to not get any other bad review. But unfortunately if I cannot write about it future freelancers will be trapted at similar situations with that client.

Close the one with this client first.Leave accurate feedback.

Filomena S wrote:

I'm not ending these contracts myself because I'm a Top Rated seller and I already have 3 contracts with no feedback given 

And? They're not hurting you unless you have crazy many. The time to encourage clients to close the contract is right after the project is completed. The bigger the gap between finishing the work and asking the client to close the contract, the less invested the client is.

What you want to do now /after closing the one with the difficult client) is to wait until you had feedback on a few more contracts, then close another of the inactive ones. Although, 3 inactive contracts also don't hurt you, but it's tidier to keep the number lower rather than higher.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Filomena S wrote:  It was a non pleasant experience (exploitation and bad faith) and he has already a very bad review at their profile, reason why I believe that he just want to leave it there to not get any other bad review. But unfortunately if I cannot write about it future freelancers will be trapted at similar situations with that client.

Filomena S wrote:

I'm not ending these contracts myself because I'm a Top Rated seller and I already have 3 contracts with no feedback given 

And? They're not hurting you unless you have crazy many. The time to encourage clients to close the contract is right after the project is completed. The bigger the gap between finishing the work and asking the client to close the contract, the less invested the client is.

What you want to do now /after closing the one with the difficult client) is to wait until you had feedback on a few more contracts, then close another of the inactive ones. Although, 3 inactive contracts also don't hurt you, but it's tidier to keep the number lower rather than higher.

Petra R wrote:

Thank you so much for your incredible help. That make totally sense. Thanks a lot.

Petra R wrote:

Thank you.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Filomena S.,

Every couple of months I close 3 or 4 long-time idle contracts at a time with no discernible affect on my JSS.

Upwork says I've completed 280 jobs over the past few years, and that may dilute any affect the same rate of idle contract closures might have on a freelancer with fewer total jobs. But, as with so many of Upwork's secrets, there's really no way of knowing for sure.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths