Page options
pankajgsolc
Community Member

Please check the offer content

I have started the contract with **Edited for Community Guidelines** - 

https://www.upwork.com/ab/proposals/1164072314564866049

this is the link, at that time he send me offer with description as below - 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

He never mentioned about the offline mode (app will alos work without internet) and also not inform me about it on call or other communication in the mean time of development. 

Now after complete the work he told me you also need to work on offline mode, this is working in andoird app. You didn't run the android app in withour internet this is your mistake. 

So I want to know from your side If after complete and approval of online iOS app working from client, so you can give me support for release the payment from client or not ?

Please give me reply asap. 

Kind Regards.

5 REPLIES 5
omnimiratus
Community Member

You don't have to (and shouldn't) do ANYTHING that isn't written in your contract. Still, some clients mention more detailed requirements before the contract (since it's impossible to write down every single small detail). Your client might've earlier asked certain functions to work offline, too. Check if this is the case. If it's not, clearly communicate that it wasn't mentioned before the contract, and that you'd either need more budget (if you're willing to do more work), or that you simply can't do free work (since doing so is against Upwork's terms).

Ozan S wrote:

or that you simply can't do free work (since doing so is against Upwork's terms).

it isn't.

Petra R wrote:

Ozan S wrote:

or that you simply can't do free work (since doing so is against Upwork's terms).

it isn't.

The FL is not willing to do additional work for free and the customer can't demand it -- that's it. I think you already knew this but just contradicting me because... well, I don't know. Good luck with it nonetheless.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Pankaj, this client is completely out of line.

You don’t need to do anything that was not explicitly specified in the original agreement.

The client can pay for what you have done so far, and set up a new contract for the new things he wants done.

I would directly tell the client that I want to help him, but that I can’t do the offline mode work until he closes the current contract. I would tell him that asking for free work is a violation of Upwork TOS.

If you let clients take advantage of you just a little but by working for free, it hurts you, and it hurts the client. We can’t do our best work if clients are asking us to work for free.

kat303
Community Member

Just nicely tell the client that you have fulfilled the scope of work specified in the contract. And in order to do additional work, not specified in the contract the client can release the funds in escrow and close this contract and set up a new contract for $XX for the additional work, or, the client can add another milestone to this contract with the scope of work to be done. 

In any case, do not start this additional work until the funds in escrow for this contract has been released AND either escrow is FULLY funded for the new job for for the new milestone. 

How you run your business (freelancing) is totally up to you.You can do as much or more work then you originally did and not get paid for it, (freelancers giving free work is NOT a violation of Upwork's TOS) then go for it.  or you can decide you don't want to be taken advantage of, and want to get paid for the work you do. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members