cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Please find my issues on my profile. Help Me!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 37

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Tamas,

When editing your profile, It is important that you have a well-written overview of your skills, experience, and background, and it is not copied from anywhere. Be sure to double check for spelling and punctuation errors. Also, please don't forget to use your own picture for your profile as using other people's photos/logos/artworks is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. You may read more information on the profile pictures here

Let me also share a few other resources that you may help you. Check out our educational videos and read the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Goodluck!

Avery

So this is the official answer from Upwork to those with fake profiles and stolen content.

Now at least we know. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 37

He's a valuable freelancer who deserves a second chance because stealing portfolio items is a good sign of things to come.

If someone stole my stuff, I'd DMCA their profile out of Google and Bing and LOL when they can't figure out why they can't get into public search engines.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
13 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Tamas,

When editing your profile, It is important that you have a well-written overview of your skills, experience, and background, and it is not copied from anywhere. Be sure to double check for spelling and punctuation errors. Also, please don't forget to use your own picture for your profile as using other people's photos/logos/artworks is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. You may read more information on the profile pictures here

Let me also share a few other resources that you may help you. Check out our educational videos and read the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Goodluck!

Avery

Oh no, is this a joke? Good luck to a swindler! His profile has to be eliminated. 

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
14 of 37

I wonder how many people will be demanding us to look at their profiles if there was a big flashing warning sign saying that falsifying your profile information would be subject to banning? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 37

@Mariska P wrote:

I wonder how many people will be demanding us to look at their profiles if there was a big flashing warning sign saying that falsifying your profile information would be subject to banning? 

Since a lot of them can't really read English, probably a lot of them will still keep coming. And actually they don't risk anything. In the past Upwork was known to give them a break and now considering Avery's answer we know that Upwork even encourages this behaviour.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

-----------
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 37

Hi Rene,

There is nothing in Avery's reply that implies that we encourage using copied content and other persons' pictures in a profile. Quite contrary in her post she points out that it is against Upwork Terms of Service to do so.

Since this is a public forum we will not be sharing details about what actions were taken regarding Tamas' personal account.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 37

Yes Valeria. Avery politely asked him to not use plagiarized content and wished him good luck. That was really a strong reaction from Upwork, I wonder if he'll handle it :-)

Cop: Please, try stop stealing, get yourself a job. Have a nice day :-)

Thief: Thank you sir.

As for the measures taken, we don't need to know. But everyone can see that the profiles of those who were reported are still here, shining under the sun.

-----------
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 37

Rene,

The account in question has been limited. The user is not able to apply for or accept jobs. You will not be able to find the profile in freelancer search either. You are only able to access his profile (as well as other reported profiles) because you have a direct link.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 37

Thanks Valeria. Your answer is most appreciated and it shows to everyone that Upwork is taking this seriously. I understand that you cannot share publicly what action you take, but informing us as you did is a big moral boost for a lot of honest people here I think.

It means that our reports are not in vain.

Thank you again.

-----------
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
20 of 37

Well, actually Valeria, it kind of does imply that. 

I almost saw kittens playing and colorful balloons flying in the clear blue sky with candy floss clouds when i read Avery's response. 

When people use other people's information or do something else that isn't honest in order to get work here, I don't care what country you're from or what language you sepak, you have to know it's wrong..wouldn't you say? 

I don't think that politeness is the key to making sure that no one does that again. Many people will know that they'll get away with it until they get caught. If they get caught. Why does it seem like there's some handholding going on? 

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Rene,

There is nothing in Avery's reply that implies that we encourage using copied content and other persons' pictures in a profile. Quite contrary in her post she points out that it is against Upwork Terms of Service to do so.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS