cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please find my issues on my profile. Help Me!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
21 of 37

If Upwork doesn't already have this in place, maybe they should have a translating feature for people that are not native English speakers. 

And FYI that's not an insult, moderators! Smiley Happy It's an actual suggestion that might be very helpful even for people with basic level English. For example, I can read Dutch, but I don't always understand every word I read. I like to have the option of a translation gizmo to get me over the hump, yaknow? So since there's many people that don't have the language skills, why not help them out a bit? 

Will this happen? I don't think so, but I think it's a good idea anyway. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 37

For the record: Although some readers of this thread may have found the tone of some moderator-written responses to be jarring due to the absence of rancor, there is nothing new here with regards to policy. The moderators' responses here are absolutely the same as we have seen in similar situations throughout other threads.

To whit: Contractors are not summarily terminated or suspended when they are found to have copied profile overview text or portfolio items, whether in whole or in part, or when they use a photo which is actually a picture of somebody else, or which otherwise violates Upwork profile photo guidelines.

Nevertheless, there may be actions taken against the contractor accounts which are not evident to us, and which are not explained or even mentioned by moderators.

I am not saying that is how things SHOULD be. I am simply saying that the responses we see in this thread follow the same policies and procedures we have been seen previously. It is doubtful that any of the moderators here formulated those policies. They're just doing their jobs.

And part of their jobs entails being consistently polite to a degree that the rest of us aren't expected to be. Although we are all expected to maintain a certain level of decorum and refrain from personal attacks, even when a contractor's actions are beyond the pale.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
23 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Preston H wrote:

For the record: Although some readers of this thread may have found the tone of some moderator-written responses to be jarring due to the absence of rancor, there is nothing new here with regards to policy. The moderators' responses here are absolutely the same as we have seen in similar situations throughout other threads.

To whit: Contractors are not summarily terminated or suspended when they are found to have copied profile overview text or portfolio items, whether in whole or in part, or when they use a photo which is actually a picture of somebody else, or which otherwise violates Upwork profile photo guidelines.

Nevertheless, there may be actions taken against the contractor accounts which are not evident to us, and which are not explained or even mentioned by moderators.

I am not saying that is how things SHOULD be. I am simply saying that the responses we see in this thread follow the same policies and procedures we have been seen previously. It is doubtful that any of the moderators here formulated those policies. They're just doing their jobs.

And part of their jobs entails being consistently polite to a degree that the rest of us aren't expected to be. Although we are all expected to maintain a certain level of decorum and refrain from personal attacks, even when a contractor's actions are beyond the pale.

Alone the fact that this person has used a photo of a well-known actor without having the right to do that is a copyright infringement and can be very expensive for the freelancer as soon as the actor will take legal actions against him (and often actors do this) not to mention the fact that he prentended to be somebody else.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
24 of 37

Surely, unless he was 'Ryan Partlin' - no idea -  the moderator should be more concerned with punishing this individual?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 37

@Ramon B wrote:

Surely, unless he was 'Ryan Partlin' - no idea -  the moderator should be more concerned with punishing this individual?

Absolutely not.

The moderators are not here to "punish" anyone.

Corrective action is taken by other departments.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
26 of 37

Then perhaps the moderators should inform who, if anyone, is in charge of regulating the standard of the profiles. Frequently a thread goes on for a week without anyone, if these is anyone, attending to the blatent abuses of the terms and conditions.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
27 of 37

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for your input. We always escalate profile violations and our team reviews and takes action on a case by case basis. I'm not aware of any discussion threads or cases that we not actioned by our Community team publically or directly by our Marketplace Quality team. 

I understand your frustration but rest assured we're committed to addressing low quality profiles and users, who unwittingly or deliberately violate our policies.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
28 of 37

I don't mean to directly criticize you or anyone else, Upwork has a policy concerning stolen pictures, stolen work samples, and stolen text in a freeelancer's profile. If Upwork isn't abiding by their OWN policies...... Need I say more.

Perhaps, we weren't notified yet, but has Upwork now allowed this practice? Can we now take whatever image, work or whatever and use it on our porfiles. And maybe if this is so, we can now use logo's instead of pictures of ourselves or pictures of someone else.

The reason I say that is because the stolen picture on this person's profile is STILL up there and it's been up there now  for a number of days. This indicated that those policies Upwork has are not enforceable.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 37

@Kathy T wrote:

The reason I say that is because the stolen picture on this person's profile is STILL up there and it's been up there now  for a number of days. This indicated that those policies Upwork has are not enforceable.

To be fair, the two I reported lately were dealt with within 24 hours. I find that shooting off a quick ticket works a hell of a lot better than flagging

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
30 of 37

Petra, I guess you're lucky. Because whether flagging or reporting with a ticket. it seems like the picture of the OP is STILL up. If so, and no action is taken, that indicates that we can now use other pictures to represent ourselves.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS