🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Please help! My second contract and my client...
Page options
jessicahoward01
Community Member

Please help! My second contract and my client is unhappy but hasn't ended my contract.

This is my second contract and my client is unhappy with my job performance. I have worked with them for one week, and yesterday they stated that "this isn't working out." I doing virtual assistance for a client that has two businesses that require documentation and attention on multiple platforms, each with their specific nuances (ie: takes a little time to learn). I politely asked for more details and their response was quite disrespectful. It became clear that there were unspoken expectations in the beginning.

However, they haven't ended my contract. I don't know what to do now because this is only my second project and a negative review could seriously harm my my ability to get future projects. All of our communication has been through Upwork. Should I end the contract? Should I refund the money and hope for the best? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jessica:

If YOU end the contract, then there is a chance that you will NOT receive negative feedback. Because the client will not be required to leave feedback.

Also: If a client doesn't like working with you, then of course you (as a freelancer) want to end the working relationship as quickly as possible.

Do not refund any money. That is not what is expected here.

End the contract yourself.

Tell the client:

"Chandra:

Thank you for your note. Of course I want you to have an assistant who meets your expectations. I have ended the contract so that you can look for that person. I wish you well with your project."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jessica:

If YOU end the contract, then there is a chance that you will NOT receive negative feedback. Because the client will not be required to leave feedback.

Also: If a client doesn't like working with you, then of course you (as a freelancer) want to end the working relationship as quickly as possible.

Do not refund any money. That is not what is expected here.

End the contract yourself.

Tell the client:

"Chandra:

Thank you for your note. Of course I want you to have an assistant who meets your expectations. I have ended the contract so that you can look for that person. I wish you well with your project."

Thank you so much for your advice! I do realize that this will most likely negatively impact my JSS score if the client decides to leave negative feedback for me. It definitely taught me to look more closely at the reviews on clients. 

Is what the client said about your location true?

In that case the feedback (which isn't absolutely terrible) is the least of your worries.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members