🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Please help me interpret marketing effici...
Page options
alexandernovikov
Community Member

Please help me interpret marketing efficiency metrics?

Here's my stats. What are they supposed to be telling me?

"You were interviewed" is very high. I interpret it is that: if the client opened my cover letter, he will most certainly contact me. Which means that quality of my cover letters is very high and putting any additional effort into perfecting them won't make anything better for me. Correct? Or am i interpreting it wrong?

What about other two metrics? "You were viewed" and "You were hired"? They are pretty much so-so, mediocre, what do they say about me? What does a customer see about me before i am "viewed", i.e. what could be changed so that the funnel does not narrow so much at this step? About "you were hired" i guess i know what's "wrong": price, well that is unfixable, but how do i fix "viewed"?

Also in general, based on my profile, can you give me any insights on what could be wrong with it, why am i having some problem getting projects recently?

9 REPLIES 9
lysis10
Community Member

I really wouldn't pay any attention to these. They don't matter. I guess maybe noobs should look at them so they don't get the dreaded "bye, you no make no money too many proposals." But for people that have been around the block, they don't matter.

But well i want to know where to put my focus and what explains my poor results recently. These metrics are there for a reason. I see it in same way as optimizing funnel when monetizing a website. Why don't people look at my profile frequently enough? I mean, if the proportion of my cover letters that were viewed is on about an average level - and i regard my Upwork history as standing out of the averages quite a bit - than something is probably quite wrong with some detail of how it looks like. What does the client even know/see about me before he viewed a cover letter? It might be as dumb as a poorly chosen photo.

Alexander N wrote:

But well i want to know where to put my focus and what explains my poor results recently. These metrics are there for a reason. I see it in same way as optimizing funnel when monetizing a website. Why don't people look at my profile frequently enough? I mean, if the proportion of my cover letters that were viewed is on about an average level - and i regard my Upwork history as standing out of the averages quite a bit - than something is probably quite wrong with some detail of how it looks like. What does the client even know/see about me before he viewed a cover letter? It might be as dumb as a poorly chosen photo.

In case you're not aware and want to read 16 pages of others who feel the same way:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Profile-View-Drop-in-Stats/td-p/567399

You are not alone.

Okay then ... nevermind.

It's unrelated. I understood that 'profile discovery' metric is broken, i am not speaking about it anymore. Just why are my profile views average as i expect them to be a lot higher...

Alexander N wrote:

If those stats were broken down somehow, maybe they would be useful but they aren't. For instance, my hire rate is insanely high, but that's because I only respond to invites so of course it's different than bidding on the open marketplace.

There's no breakdown of views either. Like maybe your profile gets reviewed when you bid but maybe not much in search. How do you know which is which? Maybe your proposals are good but maybe people skip your profile in search because of your photo. You don't know because there is nothing that breaks down where these stats are coming from.

I can't remember the other one. Contacted? Since I'm invited, I get contacted but this doesn't reflect if I've been contacted when I bid because I hardly ever bid. But if/when I start bidding again, it'll all be mixed up in the same category so there is no way for me to know if my proposal sucks or I'm getting contacted from search.

2d318873
Community Member

These are sales conversion statistics comparing your conversion rate to other freelancers who have or claim to have the same skills as you. As Jennifer said, they're pretty much useless and I wouldn't focus on them unless you're not getting any business on Upwork and even then, they can be very misleading.

That being said, I will explain in my best words what these stats mean.

You were viewed: This is a comparison of how often your profile is viewed compared to your competitors. 

The bar is half full, this suggests that your profile viewed an average ammount of times compared to competitors with the same skills as you.

You were interviewed: This is a comparison of how often you convert views into interviews compared to competitors and is based on a percentage rather than raw figures.

The bar is nearly full, this suggests that you're good at writing proposals that grab client attention.

You were hired: This is a comparison of how often you convert interviews into a sale compared to competitors and once again is based on percentage.

Summary: I would say that you're doing very well. You're securing an average percentage of views and sales on Upwork, but you're getting a high percentage of interviews to convert into a sales.

I glanced at your profile and activity. You are routinely selling high-value engagements at excellent rates and receiving outstanding reviews from reliable clients.

I suggest you not concern yourself with your marketing efficiency numbers. They are generated using algorithms developed by people who know little to nothing about your domain, know even less about competitive freelancing in a global market, and who may not be able to describe, let alone execute, the professional and superb client relationship management reflected in your results. **bleep** the torpedos (statistics), full speed ahead!

Thanks for nice words, and i think you are mostly right, yet, it doesn't help me much in optimising my sales.

>You were viewed: This is a comparison of how often your profile is viewed compared to your competitors. 
>The bar is half full, this suggests that your profile viewed an average ammount of times compared to competitors with the same skills as you.

OK so i guess this is what i should be mainly improving. What does a client see about me before he views my profile? I.e. what pieces of data i might need to work on to improve this metric?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths