🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Please help - payment sent to closed bank...
Page options
kissgabor2030
Community Member

Please help - payment sent to closed bank account!

I sent my last payment by mistake (on 26th October) to a local bank account in Hungary, that is no longer operational (checked this yesterday with my former bank that had the account). 
According to them, it should bounce back to the sender.  
Will it go back to my Upwork payment balance? If it will, how many days will it approx. take?
Can a support team member look into this quickly, please?

Also, I am aware of the 3 days security period when setting up new payment methods in Upwork's system.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Gabor K wrote: 

Will it go back to my Upwork payment balance? If it will, how many days will it approx. take?

Typically 7 to 14 days. Sometimes a few less, sometimes a few more.

Gabor K wrote:

No point, because they can't see your payment. Once it leaves Upwork's account and is in the banking system, it is no longer visible.

But this happens very frequently and the money always bounces back. It just takes a while.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Gabor K wrote: 

Typically 7 to 14 days. Sometimes a few less, sometimes a few more.

Gabor K wrote:

No point, because they can't see your payment. Once it leaves Upwork's account and is in the banking system, it is no longer visible.

But this happens very frequently and the money always bounces back. It just takes a while.

Hi Petra, 

Unfortunately, I have the same issue.  I withdrew from my Upwork earnings and inadvertently transferred the amount direct to my local bank which is already inactive.  This happened twice.   I reported this to Upwork support, but no feedback.  I hope this is resolved soon.  Thanks.  

Mio D

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Mio,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. I went ahead and followed up with them, you should expect a reply soon.

~Andrea
Upwork
NikolaS

Hi Gabor,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you Petra and Nicola.
It has bounced back to my account without any problems.

Hi,

I would like to inquire, how long does it take for the money to bounce back to Upwork since my bank account was suddenly got closed?

Hoping anyone can help me about this.

Thank you!

Hi Julio,

It may take 7-10 for the funds to be refunded back to your Upwork account. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I've already submitted a ticket for the same reasons of money going to a closed account. So just waiting now, but:

I have money that still hasn't bounced back since December.

What options are avaiable if it can't be recovered and appears to be lost?
I called my old bank and they pulled up my the details of my closed account, and no funds have gone in there since it was closed.

Can we do a Trace Request?

Hi Beau,

Thank you for your message. Could you please confirm the date of withdrawal for December that is not received by your bank?

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi! I have the same problem. Please help..Payment sent to closed bank account!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shara, 

If the bank details are incorrect, the transaction will automatically be rejected by the bank, and a refund will be processed. Please allow 7 to 10 days for the funds to be refunded back to your account. 

In the meantime, please delete the payment method with the wrong account details, and add the correct payment method to your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
aidanasmagul
Community Member

Hello, Gabor! 

I have a question for you, can I withdraw my money from Upwork to OTP. What is the charge and how long it takes the money to arrive. I am asking you because you are also from Hungary and maybe you also using OTP bank. Many Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths