🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Please help - should I report a client?
Page options
f0ff9450
Community Member

Please help - should I report a client?

Hello,

I am new on UpWork and for the time being here, I am trying my best to work with clients toward mutual satisfaction. 

For one of them, the project was completed successfully a month and a half ago. Last week I asked the client politely to close the contract. Yesterday, since the contract was not closed, the client put a $20 milestone requesting a lot of things with the deadline day after tomorrow. I explained my current situation that I bought a new laptop, that I need time to transfer files from one to another, that I have personal health issues but will do my best to assist with at least some of the requirements and that I am not able to complete all of it. I didn't apply to this! I am not comfortable with the requirements as well. The client responded that if I don't complete everything as soon as possible it will not be good for me! Please  advise what to do in this situation. 

Thank you very much. 

11 REPLIES 11
pudingstudio
Community Member

Gordana S wrote:

Hello,

I am new on UpWork and for the time being here, I am trying my best to work with clients toward mutual satisfaction. 

For one of them, the project was completed successfully a month and a half ago. Last week I asked the client politely to close the contract. Yesterday, since the contract was not closed, the client put a $20 milestone requesting a lot of things with the deadline day after tomorrow. I explained my current situation that I bought a new laptop, that I need time to transfer files from one to another, that I have personal health issues but will do my best to assist with at least some of the requirements and that I am not able to complete all of it. I didn't apply to this! I am not comfortable with the requirements as well. The client responded that if I don't complete everything as soon as possible it will not be good for me! Please  advise what to do in this situation. 

Thank you very much. 

You can't be forced to anything. You are in control of your work.

It's not an awesome sign when a freelancer has multiple explanations (new laptop and health issues) for not delivering.

Only explanation one need is - "won't do".

If you feel like someone is trying to force you to do anything, don't explain yourself to them (nor to you).
Reject offer (or, cancel contract and refund).

Sounds harsh, though it's not the end.

You'll continue with your work as soon as you feel better and your laptop is updated, you'll have many more jobs and clients to work with.

Thank you very much.Your kind words mean a lot.
Regards

You owe nothing to a client who acts like this. The behavior you describe is unprofessional and unacceptable.

If the client wants you to do a bunch of work almost for free and has threatened to give you bad feedback if you don't do it, then you should report this client.

The exact reason I stay away from the fixed price jobs. 

And it is true they don't want to hear excuses, how ever truthful they might be. They just don't care, especially the kind of the client you described.

Better if you told him - We agreed for ABC for XXX dollars. Now you want me to add XYZ for much less  dollars. I will not work under those terms as it's not what I agreed to do. I'm not available to finish the newly added work on such a short notice as I have some other things scheduled for tomorrow, and we didn't schedule working on your project. 

jr-translation
Community Member

1. Inform the client that unless he pays you the full agreed amount he cannot use your work. Since it is for a website you can have it taken down if he should.
2. Report the client.
3. Ignore threat etc that is feedback manipulation.
4. Enjoy X'mas knowing you are your boss and he cannot bully you.

Definitely report the client for threatening you (even if he didn't explicitly mention giving you bad feedback). Hopefully Upwork will suspend him, in which case any feedback he leaves will be removed.

Thank you very much, everybody. 

If I report a client - how do I do it?

It is very hard for us new freelancers, the amount of stress is enormous because we depend on client feedback and a lot of work done for a very low price. At least, I made some progress here of having 10 jobs and hope to have a better strategy in the New Year.

I wish Happy Holidays to all of you and may New Year and Christmas bring us health, happiness, and successful work. 

P.S. A new laptop looks awesome 🙂 

Hi Gordana,

Feel free to check out this help article for more information on how to use the flag option and report a suspicious user activity.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

That the Upwork system even allows a client to do this is reprehensible.

Once a project has begun, new milestones should only be allowed if both client and freelancer agree via Upwork's system to the timing, work to be done and payment amount.

DO NOT agree to any refund. You earned this money; keep it!

I just saw that $20 is showing as work in progress. Should I cancel the contract? I didn't agree with this nor I accepted it?

Thank you so much.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members