Alaa E Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
1 of 5

Hello

A client requires much information such as

identity verification (passport)

billing address proof.. 

date of birth 

qualifications

I mistakenly shared some information with him. 

Is it safe to share such information ? his payment method is not verified. 

Please reply asap.

Regards,

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Alaa:

That "client" sounds like a schemer or scammer or identity thief.

But in case he is NOT... in case you think he might be a real client who just doesn't know that he shouldn't be asking for some of those pieces of information, you can tell him:

"Peter: Thank you for your interest in hiring me. Yes, you may have all of the information you require. Most anything you need (including my qualifications) is accessible on my public profile page. And the rest of it you can get by contacting Upwork. They have all of my information on file and I authorize you to request any verification you need from them."

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
3 of 5

re: "I mistakenly shared some information with him."

If you have ALREADY shared information with him or sent him scans or files... then there is nothing you can do to get that information back.

Keep an eye on your bank accounts and other accounts you have that you don't want people to hack into. That might not prevent your identity from being stolen. Upwork can't really help you there.

If this is a real client who was just confused about what to ask for, it might be worthwhile to pursue getting hired by him (without providing additional information to him) to see if he offers you a real contract and pays you real money.

aolleak
Alaa E Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
4 of 5

Thank you very much for your reply. 

He is not responsive anymore when I asked for information about him, and kept saying "the project manager will contact you after 2 days" 

I thought clients accounts are verified and they are known to upwork. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 5

re: "I thought clients accounts are verified and they are known to upwork."

No, this is not true.

Essentially anybody may create a client account on Upwork. Most Upwork clients are legitimate, authentic, professional and a delight to work with.

But Upwork attracts scoundrels as well, because there are so many users here. So there are thousands of people who create fake client accounts and use these accounts ONLY to scam freelancers and steal money from them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS