Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please review my profile I did not get my first job

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
21 of 47
This widget could not be displayed.
How do such profiles get approved??? I am not sure if there is a real person behind this profile. The web is full with numerous profiles with this name for whatever reasons...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 47

It's just not gonna happen, buddy.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mohammad Deluar H Member Since: Nov 16, 2015
23 of 47

@Margarete M wrote:
How do such profiles get approved??? I am not sure if there is a real person behind this profile. The web is full with numerous profiles with this name for whatever reasons...

Actually I am sorry to say you , I do not understand fully what you are saying. Could you please tell me something detailed. Thank you.  

Highlighted
Eleonora R Member Since: Feb 1, 2016
24 of 47

There's a reason why successful people are (guess what?) successful. Listen to them and learn.

You came here asking for opinions about your profile, and some of the best contractors in the platform provided harsh but tremendously accurate feedback on it.

However, your main issue isn't your profile itself, or even your questionable English level... it's your attitude. You responded to feedback with an absolutely unnecessary hostility, instead of humbleness and hunger for professional improvement.

This begs the question: how would you answer to criticism from a client? (Wait... I don't think I actually want to know...)

The more I read your responses, the more embarrassed I felt for you.

So here's my grain of sand: change your attitude, and your whole life (not only your business and projects) will change along. Look up to successful people and allow yourself to feel inspired by them.

I lurk here every day and read everyone carefully, because I know there's a lot left for me to learn. I encourage you to do the same.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
25 of 47

@Eleonora R wrote:

There's a reason why successful people are (guess what?) successful. Listen to them and learn.

You came here asking for opinions about your profile, and some of the best contractors in the platform provided harsh but tremendously accurate feedback on it.

However, your main issue isn't your profile itself, or even your questionable English level... it's your attitude. You responded to feedback with an absolutely unnecessary hostility, instead of humbleness and hunger for professional improvement.

This begs the question: how would you answer to criticism from a client? (Wait... I don't think I actually want to know...)

The more I read your responses, the more embarrassed I felt for you.

So here's my grain of sand: change your attitude, and your whole life (not only your business and projects) will change along. Look up to successful people and allow yourself to feel inspired by them.

I lurk here every day and read everyone carefully, because I know there's a lot left for me to learn. I encourage you to do the same.

thank you so much. I am trying to be more professional. Also sorry to for my hard expression. I am tryting to be more cool.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
26 of 47

In my opinion, you should concentrate on just one area of expertise. The one area/skill you have the most skills expertise, and expertise for. You're spreading yourself too think when you have graphic and photo and then marketing. Once you establish yourself in just one area you can then branch out into the other areas.

Don't make your profile consist of a long list. Not saying you can't have a list, but try creating a profile more in a conversational way of what you can do for a client. Take a look at some of the other profiles of established contractors here and see how they constructed theirs (but don't copy their's, make your's your own.

The first thing that "hooks" a potential client is what they read in the proposal you submit. I can't give you advice there except to say, it should emphise what you would do for the client. Once the client reads your profile and if they are interested in it, they will then look at your profile.  So, your first priority should be your proposals.

And yes, it may take months to land your first, second and even third job. This web site was saturated with contractors looking for work, like you are. Then another freelancer site closed down and ALL of those freelancer/contractor accounts were merged or mirgrated here. So this site is Exploding with contractors looking for work. So much so that at times this site's servers can't handle the traffic.

As hard as it may be, be patient. If you're as good as you say you are, you will eventually get the jobs that you apply for.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
27 of 47

@Kathy T wrote:

In my opinion, you should concentrate on just one area of expertise. The one area/skill you have the most skills expertise, and expertise for. You're spreading yourself too think when you have graphic and photo and then marketing. Once you establish yourself in just one area you can then branch out into the other areas.

Don't make your profile consist of a long list. Not saying you can't have a list, but try creating a profile more in a conversational way of what you can do for a client. Take a look at some of the other profiles of established contractors here and see how they constructed theirs (but don't copy their's, make your's your own.

The first thing that "hooks" a potential client is what they read in the proposal you submit. I can't give you advice there except to say, it should emphise what you would do for the client. Once the client reads your profile and if they are interested in it, they will then look at your profile.  So, your first priority should be your proposals.

And yes, it may take months to land your first, second and even third job. This web site was saturated with contractors looking for work, like you are. Then another freelancer site closed down and ALL of those freelancer/contractor accounts were merged or mirgrated here. So this site is Exploding with contractors looking for work. So much so that at times this site's servers can't handle the traffic.

As hard as it may be, be patient. If you're as good as you say you are, you will eventually get the jobs that you apply for.

Thank you kathy T

I tried so many times to stick with just one thing and that is graphic design. But at my past years several of my web sites opened and closed for many reason. By practicing both Writing and Graphic designing I see at my situation I cant leave one. Whatever reason this two skills do not leave me alone. But I know it will better to stick with one thing.  

Highlighted
Irwin W Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
28 of 47

Here is my harsh reality as I have been on Guru, Elance, now Upwork, ODesk.  Thre are two kinds of clients; those that look at you from the lowest cost possible, even if it means you working for free.  The other kind of client are the ones who take their time to review your profile and interview to see what skills you have that meets their project need(s).

The second kind of client are the ones you want to work for.  When I started about 4 years ago, I admitedly took some low paying projects to get my score and reputation to get on the map for other clients to pay attention to my profile.

So, if you do take some of those low paying jobs to get your reputation and scoring to be recognized, make sure you have ROCK SOLID statement of work and rules to be agreed upon with clients.

Please understand, I mean no disrepect but this is a reality of these kinds of sites and in the end you can be successful so be patient and good luck.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
29 of 47

@norrcomm S wrote:

Here is my harsh reality as I have been on Guru dot com, Elance, now Upwork, ODesk.  Thre are two kinds of clients; those that look at you from the lowest cost possible, even if it means you working for free.  The other kind of client are the ones who take their time to review your profile and interview to see what skills you have that meets their project need(s).

The second kind of client are the ones you want to work for.  When I started about 4 years ago, I admitedly took some low paying projects to get my score and reputation to get on the map for other clients to pay attention to my profile.

So, if you do take some of those low paying jobs to get your reputation and scoring to be recognized, make sure you have ROCK SOLID statement of work and rules to be agreed upon with clients.

Please understand, I mean no disrepect but this is a reality of these kinds of sites and in the end you can be successful so be patient and good luck.

NorrComm S

Happy to hear from you. You are practical. You exposed the practical matters here. I love your suggessions and hope I will be successful one day. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
30 of 47

There is definitely a language barrier here and that's why you are coming off rude and abrupt when I believe that it is not your intention to do so.

Please, please change your English level to Conversational. You are not fluent.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS