Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please savage my profile

leeannmerrill
Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
1 of 14

I redid my profile recently and it appears to have gone over like a lead balloon with potential clients because I'm not getting invites.  I've seen others ask the forum to review their profiles but I'd like to make it easy for people to do for instance by copying my overview into my topic here, but I don't see that others who've offered up their profiles for review do that, and I guess the overview is just a part of it anyway.  Maybe obsessing over the profile is part of my problem.  Smiley Happy

Here are my guesses about what's wrong with my profile:  1)  too touchy feely (sorry hyphen key is broken); 2)  it reflects the fact that I have had a hard time picking an area to specialize in, which is true.  I have a long career history as a local government analyst and can do a lot of things, and on Upwork I've discovered that I also have a flair for business thinking.  

So I guess there's no choice but to go to my profile?  Thanks in advance for any input!!

So I guess there's no choice but to go to my profile?  

prachi163
Community Guru
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
2 of 14

I do hope you meant salvage Smiley Happy

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 14

She wants real help. She doesn't want people to hold back.

So "savage" is the right word.

(not "salvage")

prachi163
Community Guru
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
4 of 14

Ooohh.. I get it.

'Savage' it is then.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
5 of 14

We Seattleites need to stick together, so here are my thoughts:

Overall I think the profile reads as highly professional and capable. You may have just hit bad timing and are over-thinking the change's impact a bit (as you suggested). 

If I were to suggest anything it might be to be more pithy and to spend more time on what you can specifically do and have done to help the client. It's not like you aren't doing this, but perhaps there are a lot of words before you get there.  After you do get there and are met with a pithy bullet list, you then get into a long paragraph on the perils of policy and procedure at companies.  Overall perhaps get to this section quicker and with less exposition once you do.  Improve the bullet list and don't let it line wrap (my personal opinion). 

I'll say again though that the profile reads professionally with a good mix of emotional and professional intelligence. I don't know your client base and what they might be looking for that is missing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the issue was simply being in a down cycle with regards to how UW is showing you in search. Another few weeks and you might be on top again (although be mindful of the coming holidays and how they impact). 

P.S. you do have a double comma in the profile: "clients,," in the My Skills section. 

leeannmerrill
Community Leader
6 of 14

Thanks Scott!!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 14

@Lee Ann M wrote:

So I guess there's no choice but to go to my profile?  Thanks in advance for any input!!

Well, you literally put clients off before they even open your profile.

In the list view, all that shows is the first line of your overview. All that tells your potential client is that you think working with a freelancer is "daunting." - So before the client even looks at you, you did your level best to make them want to shut down the laptop and not hire anyone at all.

That first line is your prime real estate. THIS is where you put your USP (Unique Selling Point - whatever makes you stand out) and entice the client to click on your profile to take a closer look.

Lose the "Hi and welcome. " - waste of space.

Lose " I'm here to make it as pleasant, easy and efficient as possible."  or put it right at the bottom.

The rest of the first half is just "fluff" - clients go through dozens of profiles, they don't want to (and rarely will) wade through line after line of fluff.

The second half is better but I'd either lose the fluff entirely or put it at the bottom. As is, most clients will have lost the will to live before they ever get to what you can do for them, which is, at the end of the day, what they went to your profile in the first place.

Personally (opinions differ) I  think reviews have no place on an overview. Your feedback is right underneath.

leeannmerrill
Community Leader
8 of 14

Thanks so much everyone.  And I did mean "savage"  I'd rather have the unvarnished truth so thank you Petra.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 14

@Lee Ann M wrote:

Thanks so much everyone.  And I did mean "savage"  I'd rather have the unvarnished truth so thank you Petra.

Can I just say your overview is charming, I just don't think it sells you / your services Smiley Happy

leeannmerrill
Community Leader
10 of 14

I think I redid it with the thought of emphasizing that I am a listener and empathizer.  It's a little tricky because then I also need to convey that this gives me much more useful input for analyses about how to improve processes (because success there is all about the people that will have to put it into practice and whether their needs and perspectives have also been at least considered).  So once the touch feely stuff is done it all turns to logic about how best to standardize a work process.

So no one thinks my profile lacks focus about the specific services I can help people with?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS