cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Poll: Hourly Vs. Fixed Price which do you prefer?

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
11 of 58

I prefer fixed-price jobs, though hourly jobs are a bit more consistent in pay dates.  If you want to promote hourly, you'd likely be best to promote them on the client end I think.  Convince them that they are better off posting an hourly contract and then we'll have no choice if they all switch to that format.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
12 of 58

Convince them that they are better off posting an hourly contract and then we'll have no choice if they all switch to that format.

Yes we will. We can choose to work elsewhere.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 58

Convince them that they are better off posting an hourly contract and then we'll have no choice if they all switch to that format.

I bid on hourly jobs all the time. I just include my fixed price terms in the body of the proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
14 of 58

Hourly ONLY.

For design work, there is no way to tell how many revisions a client will want. Limiting the number of revisions up front is one way to deal, but if they want just one more little thing changed after that, it's an additional negotiation instead of just clocking back in and getting paid for the time. Scope creep is always an issue with design work, and while I'm VERY good at estimating how long the initial phase will take me, it's up to the client after that.

The tracker is very inobtrusive once you get used to the idea that you can't multi-task with non-work related stuff while on the clock (duh). And in design work, the client really enjoys seeing the evolution of their piece through my screenshots - it gives them a good sense of how it all comes together.

With the way Upwork is configured, working hourly is also the only way to guarantee that I'll get paid for all the hours I track. Fixed price is a scam in this regard, even with escrow. Too many loopholes and ways for clients to skinny out of paying up. No thanks. I will NEVER work fixed price.

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
15 of 58

Thanks everyone! This is great feedback and it does make sense that certain job categories would warrant a contract type over another. For those users who work on hourly contracts, is there anything you would change about the timetracker or aspects of the hourly work process?

Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 58

@Lena E wrote:

For those users who work on hourly contracts, is there anything you would change about the timetracker or aspects of the hourly work process?

The security hold, especially with long term clients...

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
17 of 58

Hourly - strong preference.

Doing CPA services, there is no fair way to estimate time in response to a fixed price job. 

I have taken several in which the Client's data was such that it took 2-3X times what I contemplated.

Consequently, if I bid on a fixed price job, I put in a cushion and usually lose because of my high bid.

I have no issues with time tracker except one - a reminder if no activity in last several minute or two.  I have forgotten to put it in "Off" if I get a call while working.  Then I have to spend effort reducing the billed time.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Employee
Shawna H Employee Member Since: Nov 29, 2016
18 of 58

Hi Joseph C - while we don't have that exact reminder currently, if you don't know about it, we do have a reminder you can turn on while time tracking that asks if you're still working.  If you go to Settings -> Reminders, you can turn it on to ask you if you're still working on a specified activity or memo every x minutes. You can still use it even if you haven't entered in an activity or memo.

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 11.18.03 AM.png

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 58

Fixed price only. Or hourly manual (have to completely trust the client for this). That tracker simply paralyzes me - end of.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
20 of 58

The tracker only counts increments from 10 minute marks around the hour, so if I log in at 2:05 and log out at 2:45 I might get paid for 30, 40 or 50 minutes depending on when the screenshots hit. I'd like to be able to start working when I want instead of having to wait until the clock hits a zero, and the same with turning it off.

I also hate the keystrokes thing. Not a good measure of work activity if one is doing research, for example, and has to read a long article and take paper notes on it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS