cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Hourly Vs. Fixed Price which do you prefer?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
51 of 58

Setu nailed the problems w/ Time Tracker from  bunch of perspectives. It simply does not work for writing. I'd be interested to hear from some artists on this as you face the same 'creative time' angle writers do.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
52 of 58

@Wilson E wrote:

Fixed price only, I even have Hourly set out of my searches

You may want to reconsider that search filter. Whenever I see an hourly job of interest, I simply submit a bid with my fixed rate proposal in the body. I've been awarded several and never had any pushback on switching to fixed price.

Ace Contributor
Wilson E Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
53 of 58

Thanks for the good advice. I do that from time to time. 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
54 of 58

Lena E wrote:

Hey everyone!

We wanted to check in with our users to find out which job type they prefer hourly or fixed price, and why? 

If you prefer fixed-price, what would encourage you to work hourly?

If you work hourly, what would encourage you to work fixed-price jobs?

Thanks!

I vastly prefer fixed price contracts. With hourly contracts, I hate the feeling that someone is looking over my shoulder; I also find it incredibly distracting to have to pause and explain what I'm doing every 10 minutes. Plus, with creative jobs, a lot of my time is spent thinking, doing drawings on my notepad, or just staring at a blank screen - so it looks like I'm not "working". The other disadvantage is that it can take twice as long to get paid for hourly work.

I also feel that hourly jobs are more difficult for me to win in terms of price. My hourly rate is quite high for Upwork, but due to my experience, I probably work a lot faster than the average freelancer. Therefore the hourly rate is largely meaningless - and probably a disadvantage to clients as well - but it's hard to make them understand that even though I'm charging $75/hour and others are charging $20/hour, the total price will probably end up being similar.

The only time that hourly contracts are an advantage occurs when a client wants to do loads of revisions; in these cases, it's better to log your hours instead of doing unlimited amounts of work for a flat rate.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
55 of 58

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this, Christine!

I would like to note that the thread is from 2-years ago. While the thread is old, this is still a good topic to discuss. Robot Happy

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
56 of 58

Avery O wrote:

I would like to note that the thread is from 2-years ago. While the thread is old, this is still a good topic to discuss. Robot Happy

Ha! That's weird - it was showing as one of the topics on the first page of the freelancer message board.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
57 of 58

Christine A wrote:

Avery O wrote:

Ha! That's weird - it was showing as one of the topics on the first page of the freelancer message board.

It's because of the way they changed the format, so yeah old threads look like they are brand new when you look at the top date because that date changes to the most recent post date. Hate it, but whataya gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
58 of 58

Christine A wrote:

Avery O wrote:

That's because someone else resurrected the thread. I often wonder where people who resurrect old threads find them. I guess it's through a google search (most likely) or a forum search.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS