cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll- How to get clients to end contracts.

Ace Contributor
Linda B Member Since: Oct 13, 2015
1 of 14

Since, in my experience, it is rare for a client to end the contract on their own, I ask my fellow freelancers, how do you get a client to end a contract?

And, if you ask them straight out to close the contract and they say they will but do not, what further steps do you take?

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 14

On another discussion, a freelancer, Jean, I believe, mentioned saying it is for the client's security, or you can tell them the truth. Please close the contract as Upwork will penalise me if I do so.

Ace Contributor
Amardeep S Member Since: Sep 22, 2009
3 of 14

Once I feel that the work is over and the payment is complete, I send a mail to the client thanking him for the opportunity and ask him if he needs anything else done. If he says that nothing else is needed, then I encourage him to close the contract and leave feedback laying emphasis on the fact that a new contract can be created anytime more work is needed. Usually this works, but sometimes clients just ignore mails after project completion. For such clients, I send a reminder every few weeks encouraging them to end the contract. 

Earlier, I used to end the contracts myself if the client was unresponsive. But after the introduction of JSS I found that if i end a contract and the client does not leave feedback, that adversely affects my score. So I just leave the open contracts and continue giving gentle reminders to the client. 

Does anybody have any solution to deal with these unresponsive clients?

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
4 of 14

Hi Linda,

I have already submitted this sample letter in another thread (I revised it a bit following some good suggestions - one of them was about the "security measures", and another was about avoiding to "beg" for your clients' feedback). It may be useful if you want to politely ask your clients to close your contracts:

Dear XYZ,

how are you? I know it's some time we don't speak anymore, anyway I'm contacting you just to understand whether you still need my services or not.

In case you decide to keep on cooperating with me, you don't need to do anything.

But if you feel like that at this moment there is no chance for us to keep on working together, then I would kindly ask you to close your contract. This is also important for your own security as a client.

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

Kind regards,

If your clients do not take any action despite your attempts, then maybe it's better to close your contract yourself. If you have many dormant contracts, probably it's not a good idea to close them all at once. Just close one-two of them each week.

Ace Contributor
Igor Y Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
5 of 14
I just tell them straight when work is done like "If you're satisfied with the results, please don't forget to close the contract and leave feedback since that's important to us, freelancers". And that's it, they always close it and leave feedback.
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
6 of 14

@Linda B wrote:

Since, in my experience, it is rare for a client to end the contract on their own, I ask my fellow freelancers, how do you get a client to end a contract?

And, if you ask them straight out to close the contract and they say they will but do not, what further steps do you take?

Linda,

I don't wait for the client to end the contract. Once he has released the payment from escrow (I only do fixed price jobs) I end the contract and leave feedback for the client.  

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 14

I do the same as Joachim.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 14

I don't know if "security" is the best word to use, but it does get to a valid point:

if a client leaves an hourly contract open with a contractor, the contractor can still bill time to the client.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
9 of 14

After awhile, I close it myself.  Recently closed several old, small contracts and my JSS went from 100% to 99%.  Not much of a hit.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
10 of 14

You can't with some of them. T|hey just ignore you and you get punished for it Cat Indifferent

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS