cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll- How to get clients to end contracts.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 14

Here's a note I wrote recently. A completed contract was approaching its pull date. The client replied to an intial request to close if there was no further work with a question about revisions. I responded:

....Depending on the nature and scope of revisions, there may be no need to keep the job open. As noted, we still have a contract whereby you get a round of revisions as needed at no further cost....

Much as I dislike mentioning the inner workings of Upwork to clients, it's a fact that at some super-secret time, probably in the next 30 days or so, Upwork will begin to ding me for having an open and inactive contract. From my self-interested point of view, if you don't anticipate being able to define either revisions or new work for me within 30 days, I'd prefer you close the contract....

Those are the variables as I understand them. With the job open or closed, I remain available for further work under our original contract or as a new job.

Thanks and best,
Michael

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 14

When a recently completed contract was approaching its stale date, I asked the client to close if there was no further work. The client replied with a question about revisions. I responded:

....Depending on the nature and scope of revisions, there may be no need to keep the job open. As noted, we still have a contract whereby you get a round of revisions as needed at no further cost....

Much as I dislike mentioning the inner workings of Upwork to clients, it's a fact that at some super-secret time, probably in the next 30 days or so, Upwork will begin to ding me for having an open and inactive contract. From my self-interested point of view, if you don't anticipate being able to define either revisions or new work for me within 30 days, I'd prefer you close the contract....

Those are the variables as I understand them. With the job open or closed, I remain available for further work under our original contract or as a new job.

Thanks and best,
Michael

Ace Contributor
Linda B Member Since: Oct 13, 2015
13 of 14

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I had to laugh, in an ironic way, at all the ways we have to jump through hoops.

For those of you who close contracts yourself, do your clients leave feedback? 

Also is it worse (from a job success score perspective) to have open contracts that are inactive or closed contracts with no feedback?

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
14 of 14

@Linda B wrote:

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I had to laugh, in an ironic way, at all the ways we have to jump through hoops.

For those of you who close contracts yourself, do your clients leave feedback? 

Also is it worse (from a job success score perspective) to have open contracts that are inactive or closed contracts with no feedback?

Linda,

Most of the time they do.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS