🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Poor feedback, but never saw my work
Page options
kristinam32488
Community Member

Poor feedback, but never saw my work

I am so unbelievably confused and aggravated! I had great communication with my client about working on his employee handbook. He was super nice and vice versa. I began working on his handbook and asked him if he'd like to see the progress thus far....a few hours later he abruptly cancelled the contract and blocked me, with no conversation what so ever. He gave me a 1.0 for quality of work, but he never saw the work because he ended the contract and blocked me!

I don't have a lot of feedback because I have just started really getting into this, so it looks awful on my profile.

What are my options?

7 REPLIES 7
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I would just give him a refund - it's only $13 - and that will make the written and star feedback disappear. His private feedback will still count against your JSS score (when you get one) but I think that would be preferable to having a "1" for quality showing in your profile.

What sort of a message exchange did you have before he suddenly cancelled the contract and gave you such bad feedback? It's certainly very strange. He marked you down for availability and co-operation as well. Did you message the client to ask why the contract was ended? It might have been a mistake. (I recently had a weird incident where my client's assistant logged into her account, ended my contract and left bad feedback.)

The last conversation we had was him thanking me for accepting the job and then me asking him if he would like to see the progress (which he never did see). I couldn’t message him because he ended the contract and blocked me. Literally no idea why. It was 53 dollars too, not 13

Also, I left feedback for him which said I was so confused as to why I was blocked and the contract ended, so I’m assuming he saw that

It does look strange... and I see it as $66.66 actually. I would use the reply to feedback function to let other prospective clients see what happened. Maybe you could wait some days to see if it was a confusion and the client sends you a message again. In that case you can ask him to change the feedback. Maybe it was just a mistake. Are your other jobs in progress "alive"? If so, if you finish those with flying colors they may offset this one in JSS. And eventually if you get the top-rated badge I believe you could delete that job including the private feedback altogether.

I'd like to see Petra's take on this, she is the JSS guru.

Why is accepting a negative private feedback such a norm in Upwork for something that is out of the freelancer's control. This will affect the freelancer's JSS reducing her chances to get another job as if the competition isn't hard enough. I ran into something similar where I had a difficult client. Reading through Upwork's Community Gurus feedback such as yourself, I gave the client a full refund hoping it won't affect my JS. Unfortunately, the negative feedback brought my JSS to 79% regardless of the rest of my positive reviews. The client didn't have a good record of hiring people and I have a doubt that he uses this tactic to give unreasonable requirements and threatining to give bad feedback if I don't work these unlimited hours for them. I just don't understand why Upwork supports this type of clients instead of the freelancers who actually makes them a profit.

lysis10
Community Member

Looks like he's done this before. 

leapesl
Community Member

The good thing is if he's done it before he might get flagged as a "difficult client" and then his review wouldn't be counted in the JSS score. Though I forget if that ALSO removes the review from your profile?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths